My Slow Blue Hooptie: 1984 242

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Slow Blue Hooptie: 1984 242

So after selling my 83 245ti about 2 years ago, i picked this car up. It's an 84 242, which is kinda rare year, because it was the last year of the non turbo 2 doors. I was fortunate enough to buy it off the original owner, who bought it from the local dealership a looooong time ago. the PO bought it a few neat things from the parts dept. at the dealership like the rare 242 "blackbox" trim around the windows and the turbo belt line trim, some really rare 14" alloys from a gt model, some awesome 80's volvo stereo, some 52mm gauges, and later model front brakes with vented rotors. The interior was in surprisingly good shape for a 2 door and everything is perfect somehow, with a exception of a crack on the dash. I think the car was repainted some time in the 90's, and the paint and body are in ok shape for a 28 year old car. Here's What the car looked like when i first picked it up:

Fucking giant Swedish monster truck.
    The first couple of things i did to it were:
    15"turbo wheels
    iPd 25/25 sways
    iPd "sport" springs
    some ghetto stereo I threw together with stuff I had laying around in my garage
    iPd -85 snow scoop
    headlight thingies
    iPd "sport" exhaust
    full tune up
    original volvo thule rack
    At which point it looked like this;

And it stayed like that for a while.
    I drove it around a bunch and fixed a few things as they came along like fuel and idle issues with LH2.0. For a while it had a problem where it would just randomly rev itself like some ghost racecar driver was in it or something haha. I decided i wanted a better stereo, and put a decent system with all kicker components. I added some nla bosch pilot 150's in yellow to make it super jdm, and a kinda rare 79 GT front airdam to change it up a little.
    like this;

then drove it around a bunch more. Then i realized it was still a swedish monster truck and it needed to go lower. I began collecting parts and pieced together some front coilovers, using;
    stock length Koni yellows
    8"X400Lb eibach ers springs
    coleman racing 7" sleeves
    kaplhenke racing upper seats and weld rings
    upper mounts maxed out at factory limit (like -1 deg iirc)
    and those looked like this:

For the rear I used billy HD's from a s10 that are about 2" shorter and MUCH stiffer to have some decent travel and cut springs for now until i finish my rear coilovers. But I painted the springs purple as well, so i get like 50 jdm points. The car sat like this at first:

Then after a day I realized it was REALLY donked and had like 2" of rake and the rear kicked out too easily in the rain for awesome open diff driftos. then I did this:

,spun the front coils down a little, and rolled the fenders a little for my beast 205/60's, replaced my tre's and balljoints, which is how it sits now:

and took it on a local cruise last week:

It's kinda fun crusing around scraping on shit and I think it looks ok for a old volvo.

a few things i'll eventually get around to;
    find some wheels I actually like in like a 16x9 or 17 or something
    make short strut coilovers for the front to gain more travel
    convert to a flathood group a front end
    maybe put a turbo motor in
    cool shit

-Josh
    -Josh

Love it! I like those old, classy cars dropped! Props!

Lol @ Lolvo
    Check us out @ Facebook: Flatworx

Comment

Good work! It's also nice to see more oregon volvo people. Really excited to see what wheels you use. DON'T USE 17s!!!!! 16 and 15 are best. Don't make this donk and ruin it.
      Volvo Build Thread
      Bmw Build Thread
      Toyota Build Thread
      zanebonk instagram
      Tumblrrrr

Comment

worked on the car a little today. fixed a couple small exhaust leaks, rolled my fenders a little more, some other regular maintenance stuff ,and put my rack on. then i looked at how the rear sat, and was like this:

so i did some more of this:

dem Bilsteins bruh:

With cut sedan springs and s10 Bilsteins it rides ok, and by ok i mean HOLY SHIT THAT SHIT IS BOUNCY. So i really need to finish my rear coilovers. which will look like this:

And how it sits now:

it now has like 1/2'' of rake and looks a little better. but now i already want to go lower haha
        -Josh

Comment

nice car man, i love old school 242's!

i would say get 17s cause you would be tucking in the rear and that would be perfect!

Instagram: @half_lung

Comment

Originally posted by scweet14 View Post
            nice car man, i love old school 242's!

i would say get 17s cause you would be tucking in the rear and that would be perfect!
            thanks! i'm sorta leaning towards 17's just so i can tuck rim, but i kinda want to make it sit flush on 16's
            -Josh

Comment

I love that color And wow, thats low dude, really nice.

Front coilover are made by yourself? Are they shortened tube or original housing length?

Are thinking here to make front coilover by myself and searching information about it

Any more pictures of that? I mean how is that tuve attached above the spring?

But i love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ollu View Post
                I love that color And wow, thats low dude, really nice.

Front coilover are made by yourself? Are they shortened tube or original housing length?

Are thinking here to make front coilover by myself and searching information about it

Any more pictures of that? I mean how is that tuve attached above the spring?

But i love it.
                thanks! 139 scotia blue is for ballers. yeah i made the front coilovers myself, and yes they're standard length struts and i have like 2 inches of suspension travel haha. here's a thread on the rear coils: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=251610 i'm welding caps onto the ends of the sleeves and drilling a hole for the bolt to attach to the body
                -Josh

Comment

How is it to drive with standard lenght? I think im not going to do them in rear. Rear is little soft atm but im just buys diesel or wagon springs i think, they are much harder.

Comment

love this! without the rack its clean as hell.

Comment

It's not too bad. but it's kinda stiff with 400lb springs and koni's in the front. diesel springs are pretty good to cut up too
                      -Josh

Comment

Yeah, i love my old brick (244brick user name) but i ***** how the rear arch is like 2" lower the the fronts.. I know it erked my nerves alot!

W I L D M A N 'S R O D S H O P

R.I.P P.WALKER 2013/11/30

Comment

Awesome car!
                          Current; 1993 Volvo 240 Wagon, turbo
                          1965 Plymouth Fury 2dht
                          x;1969 Opel Rekord | 1966 Rambler American - Maagnuuzz@Instagram

Comment

Lolvo <3
                            Follow on IG
                            amgwheelwhore

Buy my wheels
                            Vintage AME Wheels
                            RUF Speedline Wheels

Buy my cars
                            W115 & W123

Comment

Everything in this thread is good. I have 5x108 to 5x120 adapters I do not use if you are planning on going to a 5x120 wheel that i would sell you for very cheap. Either way, continue to be awesome.

Comment

Working...
                              X