Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mercedes-benz W124 Coupe Slowly getting there. (Picture Heavy!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercedes-benz W124 Coupe Slowly getting there. (Picture Heavy!)

Let me start off by introducing myself, my name's Adam. I lived in UK for 6 years and I come from Poland. So sorry if some of my grammar ain't the best.
    Anyway, the thread is for the car not me hehe

It's a 1995 mercedes-benz W124 Coupe 2.2. Me & my dad bought it off my dad's mate for just £300 pounds. My dad was working on this car all the time before he owned it so he knew what he was buying. His mate actually gave away the car to us, and only wanted the 300 pounds because of the recent big service he's done to it. Well so the car, came with 17" AMG alloy wheels and rally spec ride height. Some rust there and there, and bumpers scuffed up on every corner. I haven't really got pictures of when we just got it, but I have some pictures from after I gave it a good clean inside. And a wash, polish on the outside.

Some time later, I started working on it. I started off with the rust around the antenna and around the infrared sensor near the trunk.
    Here are some progress pictures, btw I'm currently in college doing 2nd year of Paint and Spraying, so this was good practice for me

When that got finished, I did a little "shoot", only done with an iPhone, so not the best quality.

Moving on, we tackled the rear windscreen delamination problem that a lot of Benz owners probably get.
    One way was to pay 800 pounds for a new rear screen, other way was to get creative with the vinyl to try cover it up.
    Here's how the problem looks:

And then here's how we did it, we cleaned the screen from grease, dirt etc. Then we layed down the blue tape where we would like the edge of the vinyl to end.
    After that we carefully lay down the vinyl, and the blue tape is think enough to be visible through the vinyl.
    So using this as a guide line, we cut the vinyl with a sharp razor blade and that is it.

Then after this, came the fun part. Where we actually get some lowering springs, and we get rid of the rally spec height.
    I don't have any pictures of when we did it, but i got some after shots.

After that, came a new right shock absorber. Old one was tired and the tire was rubbing hard on every speedbump, hole etc.
    Then after that we ordered some new center caps for the wheels,
    as one of them was missing. So we just replaced them with a fresh set.
    Once that was on, we took the car for a little shoot, that i did with an iPhone.
    Not the best, but with some editing they came out quite nice. Btw, this is how the car looks right now.

Future plans:
    • Respray the bumpers
    • Buy new floor mats
    • Buy few small bits for interior, such as new door steps, seatbelt handover plastics etc
    • Buy new track off end, then go for alignment
    • Buy new drive belt vibration damper
    • Fix some lights behind the dashboard
    • Maybe 10mm spacers in the back for better stance

So yeah, that's it for now. Thanks for viewing and sorry for the picture overload.

Go lowwwwwer. Please?
    It's like rock-crawling... in the streets...

Comment

so clean i love coupe benzs
      C280 Build Thread
      C43 ///AMG Build Thread
      E320 Wagon Build Thread

Follow me on Instagram:@SD_210

Comment

fresh looking coupe and really want to see the progress...

any plans on going lower, coils (brand?), bags?

also i'm interested in trade sideview mirrors, because the UK ones are opposite to the others.

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by MrDanguy View Post
          Go lowwwwwer. Please?
          Yes, we are planning on going lower. But right now the funds are kinda low. So that's gonna have to wait
          Originally posted by SD202 View Post
          so clean i love coupe benzs
          Thanks mate
          Originally posted by projektzwo View Post
          fresh looking coupe and really want to see the progress...

any plans on going lower, coils (brand?), bags?

also i'm interested in trade sideview mirrors, because the UK ones are opposite to the others.
          Thanks, yes like I mentioned above. We are planning on lowering it more but funds are kinda low right now, and coilovers aint cheap

And by trading sideview mirrors, you mean exchanging, 1 of the mirrors, so we have matching size sets?

Comment

Originally posted by Adamowsky View Post
            And by trading sideview mirrors, you mean exchanging, 1 of the mirrors, so we have matching size sets?
            yep, that's right.

or if you're not interest in such a trade, is it possible to help me finding what i want, because here in my country is full of parts for 124, but no right-handed...

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by projektzwo View Post
              yep, that's right.

or if you're not interest in such a trade, is it possible to help me finding what i want, because here in my country is full of parts for 124, but no right-handed...
              Hmm, I'm not sure if I want to trade. Which mirror do you need? You want to have the short ones, or the longer ones? There's quite a few on ebay here. We could do a thing, where I buy the mirror of ebay, i send it to you. And then you send me the money back on paypal or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Adamowsky View Post
                Hmm, I'm not sure if I want to trade. Which mirror do you need? You want to have the short ones, or the longer ones? There's quite a few on ebay here. We could do a thing, where I buy the mirror of ebay, i send it to you. And then you send me the money back on paypal or something.
                not sure which ones will i prefer, also i can purchase from ebay, but the overall price + shipping is really high compared to the prices in my country.

that's why i'm asking for trades

thanks anyway mate, and if you're interested just send me PM

flickr

Comment

Nice CE,
                  vinyl on edges of the rear window panel, brilliant idea!!

Comment

love seeing build threads like this keep it up!

Comment

Originally posted by tyler.w124 View Post
                      Nice CE,
                      vinyl on edges of the rear window panel, brilliant idea!!
                      Thanks Tyler !
                      Originally posted by D&W View Post
                      love seeing build threads like this keep it up!
                      Thanks

Today I took out the Heater Control Unit because the light bulb on the right side was dead.
                      I'm going to get two new light bulbs, because I don't want one of them to be stronger than the other.
                      Also the area shown in the bottom of this picture, does it suppose to light up? I'm not sure
                      because it isn't and i dont know, if the light there is dead or it's not suppose to light up.
                      Thanks

Comment

Hey guys, just a small update on what's going on. Im probably moving house later this month so the W124 is not really the highest priority right now, and spraying the bumpers, wheels etc is gonna have to wait, since it will take some time. And I dont wanna start doing it here at my current house and then moving stuff to the other house, loosing some parts in the process etc. It's just better to wait. Btw since I havent got much money right now, Im doing more work that requires time rather than money So, I'm reconditioning all the brake calipers and just basically doing a little clean up under the car. Also doing little bits, like the little light bulbs in the dashboard. I'm planning on having a go at restoring the leather seats as well. Here are some pictures:

Took out the heater control unit to change the light bulbs.

Took off the brake caliper on the front right side.

This is what I'll be using to paint them later after preparation. It's high temperature paint from Halfords, its black.
                        Didnt wanna spray them red, I think its too ricer. Anyway this paint takes up to 500 degress apparently and it was only £7.49

Gave the wheel a good clean

And cleaned up inside the wheel arch just because

So yeah, not much real progress. Just messing around with little bits.

Comment

Awesome car dude and great work

http://www.mvip.com.au
                          clicky^

Comment

Originally posted by Marsss View Post
                            Awesome car dude and great work
                            Thanks mate!

Comment

Really like the colour of your coupe, that was a great buy. Hope you don't mind me showing you my coupe. loads more info here

Comment

Working...
                              X