• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 1972 two door Datsun 510

Official Sponsors:

Stripping Technologies
    GBTires.ca
    Culture Shop

Well, the WRX is gone, and as some of you know this is what's next on the list of projects.

A little history:
    I've had the car since I was 16 (10 years...I know) and never really had it completed to a level I was happy with. We purchased the car from Tom Hnatu (more on that) and he had prepped the car for vintage endurance racing.

The car was registered for road use from 1971 to 1973, and had one owner. I am "technically" the second owner of the car. It's been a club racer most of it's life, and show its been well kept (no obvious damage, all original metal).

As some of you know, Tom passed recently. This was a shock to both me and my father. Another close friend had also passed during the build of this car. So this build is about more than just metal and parts to me.

The build:
    The car is currently setup as a race car. However I do have everything to make it "street legal". The plan is as follows:

S13 front suspension
    S13 front knuckles
    S13 rack and pinion
    180sx brakes
    Lexus 1uzfe
    R154
    S13 rear coils on 510 rear suspension
    R180
    Many, many other things.

I am completely open to input and suggestions, as this is my first build of this scale.

I'm trying to find some pics of it. Scrolling through 1500 pictures in my photobucket will take some time.

I'm hoping to have the car done for next season, but I refuse to compromise the build simply to meet a deadline.

Last edited by JPE16; 01-02-2013, 09:52 AM.

Hi!
    Me again. Well, things have changed motor wise. Well actually, nothing's changed there, I still feel this car would perform best with a lightweight small displacement V8 (1UZ). However the one thing that has changed is my budget. Instead of spending money on a V8 that's not necessary, I will be running a Nissan four cylinder (CA18DET) in an effort to make the car cheaper to run, easier to work on, and a put the additional money into the chassis.

Anyway, I picked up a few goodies over the past weeks and have begun work. I picked up some 30mm Z32 brakes, Tein adjustable TC rods, S14 engine crossmember, S14 knuckles, and an intercooler. I'm waiting on a Hicas steering rack, and S13 control arms to finish mocking up the front suspension, and begin cutting to make my adjustable control ams (for track width) and outer tie rods.

The next step after front suspension and rack install will be making custom brackets for the Z32 rear brakes, and then ordering wheels and tires. The goal is to have the front and rear suspension in the car and rolling by the new year.

Mocking everything up before breaking down for coating:

Punched out 20 year old studs to make way for new ARP ones before stripping and coating:

All steel TC rods (not the weak aluminum ones):
    Last edited by JPE16; 03-01-2013, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Yesss I love seeing datsuns on this website!
      Also I like those fenders, have then been rolled or are they BREs or something?

Comment

Looks like good plans so far, definitely change the color.

Comment

That first picture is epic,
          A striped down race car on jack stands waiting to see some action again.
          Can't wait to see more.
          E30 build

Comment

Love it. Don't listen to willis. Keep the color, add racing stickers.

Comment

Originally posted by MattyHacks71 View Post
              Those are bubble flares.

You should sign up on Ratsun (www.community.ratsun.net)
              Last edited by tristinGrind; 10-14-2012, 01:39 PM.
              --Tristin

Comment

Should look good when its done. In for more!

Comment

Oh yeah! Promising, and the fact that it's about more than the actual car makes it much more than a build. Big ups
                  Flickr

Projects :

1984 W123 300D (Sold)

1999 C43 AMG (no thread..yet)

Comment

Originally posted by MattyHacks71 View Post
                    The fronts are a fibreglass fender, the rears are an actual moulded in fibreglass flare

Originally posted by willis View Post
                    Looks like good plans so far, definitely change the color.
                    I'm going to do the interior that Scion TC cement grey color I think, as for the exterior, I may wrap it for this coming season. I don't really like yellow much to begin with...

Originally posted by tristinGrind View Post
                    Those are bubble flares.

You should sign up on Ratsun (www.community.ratsun.net)
                    I've lurked on there a little. I may share the build on there once it progress' a little bit.

Originally posted by Raarasutra View Post
                    Oh yeah! Promising, and the fact that it's about more than the actual car makes it much more than a build. Big ups
                    Thanks man!

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement! To me the best part of owning a car is the build process. The people involved, the work, the fun planning it...anyway the goal is to have a finished rolling chassis ready for a drivetrain by Jan 1 2013. We'll see what my bank account says about that.

Comment

Some of the slowest builds are on there... I wouldnt worry about it. Sign up and post pictures, it will make everyone happy. Either way, good luck with the build.
                      --Tristin

Comment

Very excited to see this car being built up. Love me some Datsuns, lol. Also for the sentimental value, I respect that a lot.
                        The only thing lower than my standards is my truck.

Build thread!!!

Comment

Originally posted by C-Hutch View Post
                          Love it. Don't listen to willis. Keep the color, add racing stickers.
                          This x10000000.
                          BB6 Prelude . . E36 ///M3 . . VA WRX Limited . . 1969 Nova
                          Originally posted by Ollie
                          We all love to turn heads. Sub-consciously we're all materialistic attention-craving dickheads.

Comment

love the nostalgic feel of the car, I second Hutch's opinion to leave both color and stripes, as it would pay homage to Tom

Comment

I <3 bubble flared Datsuns.

Please keep it yellow, I love yellow.

Comment

Working...
                              X