MLM's E36 M3 rebuild thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLM's E36 M3 rebuild thread.

Before I start this story, I feel like I should at least lay out what's going to happen here.

I bought this car with the idea of keeping it true to it's roots, a driver's car if you will. This will be a true "function" car, with some form. OEM+ is the name of the game.

Pending upgrades & repairs include, but are not limited to:

-Turner or H&R sway bars
    -Transmission mount bushings
    -Tune (Utilize the Dinan chip already there, or possibly a Turner/Comforti)
    -Replacing the Reverse/5th gear shift bushings
    -Cold air intake, or drop-in filter
    -Euro header
    -Cat-back exhaust
    -OEM 3-spoke steering wheel
    -A lot of paint work

So, after months of looking for another daily car to buy, and countless hours of scouring craigslist locally, I finally stopped searching for another car before winter. Depressing. Feel like Rudolf on Christmas.

Alas, what is this? A wild Apine White E36 M3 Sedan appears...

I think about it. For about 5 seconds. Then fire off an email to the owner of the car, stating I'm interested.

I get anxious that I don't hear back from him immediately because I'm a spaz.

Picked up the phone at EXACTLY 4:30pm and gave him a call, he wasn't there. Left him a message to call me back, or I kill his family.

He does. Says the car is still available, and I can look at it the next day (friday). Checked the Carfax, came back spotless, and showed a ton of record for services. Sex.

The night I'm supposed to go look at it, I have to stay an hour late to finish up test reports, lab reports, ect. Freaking the fuck out like the Hulk inside. I just want to go test drive the car.

FINALLY get out of work at 5:00, and haul ass to go look at it. I get there 10 minutes early and drive around the block like a creeper lol.

I get there, meet the guy. Super nice, middle-aged dude with a (living) family. Looked like Lt. Dangle from Reno 911.

He has ALL the records for the car, including those from the original owner. Hop in the car, go for a ride around Webster. Try to deter all women within a 5 mile radius to keep their panties on and not to breath heavily on the glass. 15 miles later, I'm fucking hooked.

We get down to brass tacks. We stare for an awkwardly long time. He goes high, I go low with cash. He sees my beard. I work my beard magic. He accepts my offer of cash money and we strike a deal. I pick it up at the break of dawn.

Go home. Go to bed. Can't sleep worth a shit because I'm shaking with excitement.

Get up the next morning. Literally show up at the bank as they're unlocking the doors. Took out a pile of cash from my Swiss bank account. Turn and leave like a person of high establishment. I don't think I touched the ground driving to the guy's house. Forked over enough cash to feed a small African village for a while. Get in, turn the key, and drive it home.

Halfway home, I realize that I didn't get on it hardly at all test driving it. So, I slip my peni... shifter into first gear, turn left under a light, and roll on the throttle to the floorboards.

Shit in pants.

Get it straight. Get the car home. Parked it next to the Prelude. Shed a manly tear.

And this is how this story starts.

Here she is in all her glory. Plans are to fix the minor surface rust before it gets worse, find anything that needs to be done and do it, and drive it. No cutting the car up, no serious fucking with it- I want to preserve it. Little things include drop-in K&N filter, re-flash the Dinan chip, and maybe a 5mm spacer up front.

Which means I'll probably cave in a week, and start buying more go-fast parts for it.

The car already has H&R springs, Bilstien struts, all new front and rear bushings, new brakes, all new cooling system, new-ish tires, a complete set of snows on Milli Miglia wheels, and a stack of paperwork so thick it would kill a small child if it fell on them.

Pics.

Next to my hooptie.

My fiance standing next to it, after she regained consciousness.
    Last edited by MommysLittleMonster; 10-08-2012, 09:49 AM.
    BB6 Prelude . . E36 ///M3 . . VA WRX Limited . . 1969 Nova
    Originally posted by Ollie
    We all love to turn heads. Sub-consciously we're all materialistic attention-craving dickheads.

Interesting!
    i want to see more!!
    IG: @bkwarros

Comment

Brilliant OP. Nice M3!

Comment

nice M3, but no plans for lowz?

Instagram: dankasrz_s666

Comment

great post, had me

the m3 looks great, any plans for wheels/more low?

•◡ •

Comment

Originally posted by DannyE32 View Post
            nice M3, but no plans for lowz?
            Not this year. It's already got H&R springs, the rear actually tucks tire lol. Next year I'll be upgrading to a set of Broadway Static coilovers after I finish repainting it.

Originally posted by shim! View Post
            great post, had me

the m3 looks great, any plans for wheels/more low?
            Not sure what I want to do for wheels yet, I haven't given it a lot of thought. I have a ton of 5x114.3 wheels kicking around from my Prelude, so I might just invest in some adapters.
            We all love to turn heads. Sub-consciously we're all materialistic attention-craving dickheads.

Comment

Lol love the post. Looking forward for the plans

Comment

LOLZ AHOY!!

Looks like you grabbed yourself a wee bargain there, congrats man. No I really want an M3 saloon, ffs...
                Originally posted by MommysLittleMonster
                Internet high five for you.

Comment

Cough5.0swapcoughcough

Congrats man!

E30 V8 Build thread

Go here be happy!

Instagram: stuartrussell

Store: alwaysindividual.bigcartel.com

Comment

Nice pick up! at the write-up, had me laughing good. Looking forward to future plans.
                    BMW E38
                    That White Evo
                    -SOLD
                    instagram @kbuss
                    flickr

Comment

So last night, I started to piece together a "care kit" for my car, basically one giant tune-up to avoid doing this later next year. Spark plugs, oil change, transmission fluids, coolant, cabin air filter, ect. This is where the stack of records comes in incredibly handy.

I bought an oil change, wipers, and leather treatment- but wasn't terribly thrilled with what I got for oil. $109 later, I walked out the front door of the parts store, reeling a little bit from sticker shock. My first taste of the ///M tax.

I then decided that I wanted to do more research on oils and service items, so I drove home giggling like a school gear from the small amount of oversteer I accomplished in the empty parking lot.

I got home, dug out the records for the car. Bam. There it was.

No, not that. The last oil change, weight, and mileage was scribed in the book just a little less than 2,000 miles ago. Crises averted.

So, I plan on returning the Valvoline Syntech oil I grabbed in panic mode, and buying this.

Yes, I'm being serious. Diesel oil. Apparently a lot of the M guys like it and use it with a great level of success. After a metric fuck-ton of debate, I think I'll be using some 5w-40 since it's getting brisk outside. Input is welcomed on this topic, as I have no idea what I'm doing.

That's about all I have for today. I topped the tank off yesterday on my way home, reset the computer, and drove to work- and saw this.

Not too shabby, S52. Not too shabby.

Comment

Its nice when the universe presents you with a car and every thing falls in to place.

Good luck with your M-car, it looks like you got a killer deal.

Comment

You sir are terrible at telling a story.

M3 looks good though and it's amazing that the previous owners kept so many records. I'm def jelly of your MPG, you must be driving it like a girl

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

Comment

Originally posted by Z.Cockburn View Post
                            Its nice when the universe presents you with a car and every thing falls in to place.

Good luck with your M-car, it looks like you got a killer deal.
                            Thanks, hopefully she's kind to me in the future. Already spent a paycheck on maintenance stuff for this coming week.
                            Originally posted by TeckniX View Post
                            You sir are terrible at telling a story.

M3 looks good though and it's amazing that the previous owners kept so many records. I'm def jelly of your MPG, you must be driving it like a girl
                            I think I might make a post where it's nothing but pictures for the story.

Half the reason I jumped on it was because it was so well documented. I'm trying to carry on the tradition by carrying a little notebook in the car for the same stuff- oil changes, parts, receipts, ect.

The MPG's didn't last long, I was back to 26.6 by the end of my lunch break.

Comment

Nice M3, white is always a win......I wish we could get them here for $5k!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X