Chase's 73' Merc w108 Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chase's 73' Merc w108 Build Thread

Hey strangers! I haven't been around much lately, been working a ton and preparing for school. But I have a surprise. I know some have already seen it that are my friends on FB. It's very different from what you have seen from me in the past but that's part of why I'm so excited.

I have been longing for a classic Mercedes for some time now as well as a project car to really get my hands dirty and push my limits to see how much I can do on my own. Well it just so happens I found both. This is going to be a hell of a project to tackle with minimal restoration experience but I plan to put my heart and soul into this thing and truly make it my own creation.

Today I picked up my 1973 Mercedes Benz 280se (W108). She sports a 4.5L V8. Sucker hauls ass for how heavy it is, I also found out that it likes to burn the tires lol.

The car is originally from MN and the previous owner got it from an estate sale. I was lucky enough to be the first to look at it and there was no question about it, she was coming home with me. The car made it home in one piece and so did I.

There is some surface rust, but outside of that it is pretty damn clean. Underneath the car is clean and it was not driven in the MN winters. The interior is in phenomenal condition, I am so in love with the steering wheel it's ridiculous. Just needs a good clean and a few minor things. It needs to be completely sanded down and painted. It is missing some things like the rear window, the front window is cracked. I had to duct tape it in to get it drive-able lol. The glass is busted out on the passenger front and rear side windows but I also got four doors from a parts car that the previous owner had purchases. The exhaust is broken off right before the muffler so she screams right now!

I have some big plans for it. I have no clue what order I will tackle things in but if I had to guess the first thing I'll start on is the body. Next will probably get it running flawless, right now it runs good but it needs some love in the idle department. After that, you guessed it, time to get the frame kissing the pavement. I will not stop until that is accomplished. I don't care what I have to cut, pound, remove, etc to make that happen, it's going to happen. My air setup has already been researched and picked out. I have a buddy that is going to help with the install and custom fab work that is needed. I also have some wheels picked out but I told myself I wouldn't let the cat out of the bag on those :-X I am so excited to dig in it is unreal. Well enough talk and onto the pictures!

Taking care of business.

Getting her some juice at BP on the way home.

Made it home!

Hood ornament still intact.

Some shots of the body.

And the interior.

LOVE.

This car was my inspiration to get one. I saw it a few years back and have been head over heals ever since.

I plan on doing some really interesting things to it and make it my show car. Over the winter I hope to get it presentable and ready to show, then over the summer get everything fine tuned.

If anyone has any resources for people that know these cars please let me know as it would be a great help!

Cheers folks!

Idk what they're supposed to weigh, but mine wasn't all that heavy.

Like seeing all the different colors on these. Cut the springs until you get the air on.
    W108 - LSx hitting a lick | '92 C2500 6.5 Turbo Diesel

Comment

I enjoy BMW's (your E90), but I mainly love old mercs (my first three cars were Mercs). I am genuinely excited to see how this turns out. Come the end of the month I'll be searching for a W108, W114, W115, or another W123 to fix up. I miss my Mercedes days.

BTW does it have conventional rear suspension, or SLS?
      1981 300TD 4 speed
      2000 BMW M5

Mike Finnelly
      , on Flickr
      IG @michaelfinnelly

Comment

I love this and will keep up on this cause i am interested in bagging my w123 which is on cut springs at the moment until i find what bags and fabrication will be needed for air.

Comment

Originally posted by panchotovar View Post
          I love this and will keep up on this cause i am interested in bagging my w123 which is on cut springs at the moment until i find what bags and fabrication will be needed for air.
          Make a thread for it, so I can cry about selling all 3 of mine...
          1981 300TD 4 speed
          2000 BMW M5

Mike Finnelly
          , on Flickr
          IG @michaelfinnelly

Comment

Originally posted by catnip View Post
            Idk what they're supposed to weigh, but mine wasn't all that heavy.

Like seeing all the different colors on these. Cut the springs until you get the air on.
            I just realized I was looking at the wrong weight. You're right, not too heavy at all!

Comment

Originally posted by mike-81-240d View Post
              I enjoy BMW's (your E90), but I mainly love old mercs (my first three cars were Mercs). I am genuinely excited to see how this turns out. Come the end of the month I'll be searching for a W108, W114, W115, or another W123 to fix up. I miss my Mercedes days.

BTW does it have conventional rear suspension, or SLS?
              Thanks man! I am as well. Still learning about these cars, I'm not quite sure if it does or not.

Comment

Originally posted by panchotovar View Post

Comment

A merc is a mercury. This is a benz.

Good find nonetheless, interested to see where this goes.

Comment

I love the contrast in condition of the interior and exterior! Not sure how the hell its possible.

Sweet ride, good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by derpstarr View Post
                      A merc is a mercury. This is a benz.
                      Actually in every other part of the world besides America Merc is short term for Mercedes-Benz. Just to clarify.
                      1981 300TD 4 speed
                      2000 BMW M5

Mike Finnelly
                      , on Flickr
                      IG @michaelfinnelly

Comment

Originally posted by mike-81-240d View Post
                        Actually in every other part of the world besides America Merc is short term for Mercedes-Benz. Just to clarify.
                        OP is in America, so the short trem for Mercedes-Benz should be what it is, Benz. I'm aware that the rest of the world calls them Mercs. Not in good ol' 'merca!

Comment

I think I'll call it a Bercedes Menz.. Better?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Schmaudi View Post
                              I just realized I was looking at the wrong weight. You're right, not too heavy at all!
                              Granted, I'm not running anything close to the original running gear, but mine was right at 3300 lbs with the factory wheels and dual exhaust.
                              W108 - LSx hitting a lick | '92 C2500 6.5 Turbo Diesel

Comment

Working...
                              X