Slow White, the E28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow White, the E28

Hello again Stanceworks. This will be my third build thread that I've posted online. As exciting as that sounds, for me, it's bittersweet. This was my M3 until about 3 months ago when I decided to be an idiot and slide around a corner late at night. I hit a stone wall and totaled it.

Saying goodbye was very hard to do. I poured my heart and soul into that car and I went from daily driving one of best cars ever made to driving a $1k Chevy Aveo. It was torture. Finally I got my insurance money and begin to search for a new ride.

I was originally looking to get a 240 and drift it but I happened to come across something very nice. It was a friends car that he had just put on craigslist. I saw the add and hopped on it. He kindly took the add off craigslist for me. It was so clean and such a classic I couldn't resist.

Here it is. A 1985 535i with 195k Miles and a great service history.

Some of you might be wondering why this E28 looks different from other E28s. Let me walk you through what it has.
    Euro front and rear bumpers
    Euro headlights and grills
    Pfeba front and rear spoilers
    ACS 18x8.5 ET15 squared on 205/40s
    Stud Conversion
    NRG Purple Lug Nuts
    18mm Front spacers pushing the front offset to -3
    Yakima Roof Racks
    Polk audio interior speakers and a Bazooka sub
    Bilstein HD Shocks on cut springs

I think that's it. It is Basically stock, strictly exterior work.
    Here is a comparison vs stock with US Bumpers

First thing I did was get rid of the stupid sub. The car has a chopped muffler so at idle I couldn't hear the sub at all. I traded to a friend at work for a 4 wheel roadforce balance. So worth it.
    I went to Elon and did a shoot with my friends MKII

I needed to get some work done. First was some TLC

Then some fluid flushing needed to be done.

Next was my attempt at moving the exhaust further away so it would be a little quieter in the car on trips.

That worked, until I hit a raised manhole cover and it got ripped off

Here was the car getting the roadforce

I liked the way Mike Burroughs did his roof racks on rusty so I made my own.
    This

I went crazy with the zipties

Next was to fix those body color tails that I really didn't like

Shortly after the new guy at worked backed into me

Got that fixed and went on with my business.

I picked up two of these but I don't have an amp yet.

As fun as it was being that high off the ground I was getting tired of it.
    Spacers came out

And coils were removed

I started with half a coil and worked my way down. I ended with 1 more coil cut all around.
    I also ditched the roof racks they got boring fast.

This car has been great to me so far. In the future I'm hoping to either get the new BC racing coilovers or an air ride setup. I'll update soon. I'm working on a new exhaust setup that hopefully won't fall off.

I'm currently looking for a full set of 17x9 et8 Roadstars from a Z3M I love the way this car

and Shirley Bronzit look and I really want a set. So please let me know if you have some for sale. I'll trade my ACS straight up for them.

Thanks for looking guys and don't be like me. Drive safe.
    Last edited by jrcanes55; 11-17-2012, 09:53 PM.

I always knew you would smash your m3, but good to see you in something else, equally as awesome!
    "on our way back i hit a bump and both of the springs slip off of their seats and slashed both of my front tires."

-Dane M

If your not doing this, your doing it wrong.

Comment

Some updates. I painted my grills black. I love them.

Worked up an intake so it would fix my low end throttle response issues. It actually helped. Car is a lot less clunky in the low end. I also tightened my throttle cable which helped. It's nearly perfect. I just need to diagnose a vacuum leak now.

Threw on 8mm Spacers in the rear.

I really wish I could get a set of 9.5 ACSs. I want a little more stretch so I can push the wheels out further.

Of course I say that and then one of my tires unseats itself. Lucky I had an M contour as a spare. To bad it looked terrible. These older BMW are not meant to run high offset wheels. I could literally fit my fist in between the wheel and the fender. Got it fixed at Eurowise the next day and found out my wheels used to be chrome. There is paint on all the beads which is making them leak.

Then we had a massive rain storm. It washed a 5 inch high pile of rocks onto a road. Which I failed to see and hit at around 45MPH and it had a whack at my oil pan.

I'll end this update with me going to the BFI 2nd annual Oktoberfest. It was a great event. Here are some shots from the show.
      On the way there.

At the show.

Then my passenger's side hood hinge decided to jam. So I had to take the hood off. I had it strapped to my roof until I realized my friend had his truck.

Then I got this shot on the way home

And in between this update I got one of my axle boots done. It was such a PITA. I really don't want to do the other one. I also did a coolant flush and wired a CB radio into the glove box. Hopefully i'll have an antenna for it soon. It's gonna be so nice when I go on trips. My friend in his MKII has one as well. So we can chat. Here's his ride.
      Last edited by jrcanes55; 10-17-2012, 05:35 PM.

Comment

that mk2 looks like ass, someone should buy it, also you didnt tell me about your oil pan, oh well, thats livin the low life for ya

Comment

Love white E28s. Hey, another chapel hillian! I think that makes at least 3 so far.
          Audi S5 daily | Audi UrS6 project | instagram @benznotmercedes

Comment

i usually dont like e28's because of the back end (something about them just looks funny to me)
            but this one is just dope

Comment

Your car "puts other e28s to shame", BRO.

Also that e28 with the roadstars you posted is owned by a queer.

Also I like your car.
              Also your roof rack is really nice.
              Last edited by willis; 10-17-2012, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by willis View Post
                Your car "puts other e28s to shame", bro.

Also that e28 with the roadstars you posted is owned by a queer.

Also I like your car.
                Also your roof rack is really nice.
                Haha that it does.

Yeah your car is inspiring me. I love that thing. Especially the engine bay.
                And thanks I put a lot of time into that rack.

Comment

Euro bumps without the chrome trim?? Interesting. Love the car, actually really like the spoiler kit, usually don't care for them much but this is niiice. Like where it's going, roof rack is pimping especially when the hood was sittin on it.

Go back to chrome kidneys or you might as well just take em off. Can't even see them black. Other than that small aesthetic, you be golden. Maybe I'm just jelly of ur euro bumpers.

insta:yungwymo

Comment

I'm hoping to either get the new BC racing coilovers or an air ride setup

Comment

Looks great man, very clean. Love the interior!

Comment

I like where this is going. I vote for smaller wheels, 17's would look perfect on this!

as far as coils vs. bagging... depends what you have in store for the car. personally, I wish I just saved a little more and went the air route. For the prices people are now putting setups together for, it makes sense

Comment

Looks awesome dude.
                          I really miss my E28 now :/
                          I dislike Byron.

Comment

Originally posted by tcturbo91 View Post
                            I like where this is going. I vote for smaller wheels, 17's would look perfect on this!

as far as coils vs. bagging... depends what you have in store for the car. personally, I wish I just saved a little more and went the air route. For the prices people are now putting setups together for, it makes sense

I'm not sure about going to 17s unless it's a set of something stupid nice. Like RSs or some Rotiforms.

As far as suspension goes I've weighed the pros and cons and for me I think coilovers will fit best. I really want to get a hold of the BC kit I've heard nothing but great things about it and I have friends who run BC and are more than happy.

The biggest problem I have with the car, (other than the FUCA bushings) is how it bump steers if I'm trying to have a good time. Bags won't really help with that and I personally like a firm ride.

Comment

Hey man, I ran into you and your car at the last Raleigh Cars and Coffee. I said "Hey man, nice car!" as you rolled by.

Hope to see you around more...

-Shawn
                              (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ Y U NO LIKE SOLOAUTOMAG?!?!?!

Comment

Working...
                              X