'72 Mini Clubman Estate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '72 Mini Clubman Estate

Not sure this totally falls into the class of a 'stanced' but it will be low and impractical so I though you guys might appreciated it. This builds been going 2 years now so I'll just put up the high lights and the new updates as the come. You can click here for the full story.

It all started with this, FOM the '72 Clubman Estate. A bit rusty and unloved with some new rear doors and a week of welding would have seen it back on the road.

I however am a pleb and decided that doing this would be a better idea.

I ended up replacing a lot more rust steel than I would have if I was just going to run it which I guess can only be a good thing. The big bits where 2 A-panels, one wing, both outer sills, one inner sill, one front floor pan and a step sill.

With all the stage one rust repair jobs done I moved onto a bit of customisation and decided I cut out the space wheel well and replace it with two boxes to relocate the fuel tank and battery.

I started making a steel centre console that will eventually be sprayed body colour.

I've never liked standard seats so I modified a Rover Metro cantilevering rear seat frame to fit the Mini.

As I couldn't use the standard seat base diaphragms I made a pair of steel seat pans that will be welded to the frame and have various grades of foam laid into them to try and make a relatively comfy seat.

I also redesigned the rear side window frames to incorporate the locking mechanisms for the new rear frame.

To get the ride height I'm looking for I tubbed the rear arches allowing me to go about 2" lower than standard.

10" wheels FTW

The two front body seams where welded up and removed for a more sleek look.

I'm using a front mounted radiator so got rid of the old vent in the inner wing and made a new panel to mirror the other side.

I raised the front subframe by 5MM (every little helps) so had to make new rear mounts and added some reinforcement to the are they bolt to.

With the car going to low I thought I would be a good idea to bring the gear change mechanism inside the car.

Finally some shots of it on the ground although there's a long way to go yet. Possibly too much negative camber and too little ground clearance?

Wow. I am excited to see more progress! Your fabrication skills seem awesome.

E30 V8 Build thread

Go here be happy!

Instagram: stuartrussell

Store: alwaysindividual.bigcartel.com

Comment

Exception fabrication and skill. Sub'd.
      "I know I'm not Stance|Works material. I'm just a fan. " - Stretchd8

"Jesus must love me " - FittedDownLow

Comment

Feelin this!
        Originally posted by JC.
        'Stance' doesn't have to be scraping your car along the floor, that is simply the scene that has caught on. As long as your car looks amazing (in your eyes) while your rolling down the street, that is your own personal perfect stance.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

This is so awesome! I love these builds.
          IG: ossiep

Comment

More !!

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

shit bro

this could be epic

and yeah, u said, it too much neg camber (especially in front)
                Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

this looks like its going to be awesome

Comment

awesome project! I can't wait to see more progress!
                    IG: @bkwarros

Comment

Looks good. are you deseaming the roof gutter too?

Comment

this is so sweet

1993 1993 3000gt VR4
                        1988 BMW 325 (for sale, PM me for details!)
                        1991 s13 hatch

http://breatheslowbreatheslow.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by P78 View Post
                          and yeah, u said, it too much neg camber (especially in front)
                          Yeah I know, amazingly there's still adjustment to give it more camber.

Originally posted by Therminator View Post
                          Looks good. are you deseaming the roof gutter too?
                          No the roof gutter is staying. I've always thought that Minis look bald with it.

Comment

Nice to see you made it over here.

Looking good!

Comment

Originally posted by Minuki View Post
                              Nice to see you made it over here.

Looking good!
                              Thanks, I had to get over here eventually.

I got the other seat pan buttoned up as far as I can go before seeing the upholster.

I also got a pair of harder red spot cones in the post. Should make the ride a little sportier.

Comment

Working...
                              X