Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staggered Style 5 Rebuild

BBS Style 5's are the next wheels for my E90, Replacing Volk LE37's
    I was able to locate a set of staggered wheels as a partial set(missing the front 18x8).
    The guy drove out form Arizona and met me in Oxnard, I liked what I saw so I picked them up.
    The missing front wheel was ordered from ECS.

So I got to cleaning them, man these things were a mess.

Stopped by Firestone had then pull the tires

Then proceeded to pull all the nuts and punch all the bolts out. Then a few swift smacks with a dead blow hammer and apart they came.

Picked up what I needed to strip the clear and polish them lips.

Tire also came in

ECS order arrived with the 4th wheel to complete my staggered set of RC's.

Disassembled

Color difference compared to stock vs. gunmetal

Hardware for the wheels finally arrived after about a month long wait.

Polished caps came in.

Wheels are fully stripped. Never again will I strip mesh wheels.

Hand sanded the spots I missed with stripper

Sandblast

After sandblasting

Powder being applied

In the oven

Finish product

Teaser, Lips still need to be polished

looks like they are coming along nicely.

im guessing youre doing to powder coating yourself?

Comment

Ohhh so your the guy that bought these !
      Can't wait till see them mounted man !
      EURO.TECHNIKS | BAGGED E46

Instagram: @_victorg

Comment

Dude, you need splined bolts.. I've heard bad things about RS bolts. And what are you doing with the polished caps? Gluing them on the plastic ones? And I hope you got more sandpaper than that.. Bleh, sorry for that i'm mid style 5 build..It's getting to me lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Schultz28 View Post
          looks like they are coming along nicely.

im guessing youre doing to powder coating yourself?
          Buddy of mine is did it for me, but yes we did baked them in a kitchen oven.

Originally posted by e46cruiser View Post
          Ohhh so your the guy that bought these !
          Can't wait till see them mounted man !
          And neither can I, its been a lot of work.

Originally posted by staystetti View Post
          Dude, you need splined bolts.. I've heard bad things about RS bolts. And what are you doing with the polished caps? Gluing them on the plastic ones? And I hope you got more sandpaper than that.. Bleh, sorry for that i'm mid style 5 build..It's getting to me lol.
          Gold splined bolts are almost twice the price of gold RS bolts. I guy on here hooked it up with some spacers that go into the a few of the wholes on the center which align/center the barrels with the centers. And what "bad" have you herd>? And yes the metal caps with have BBS centers cap mounted on them and then I will glue them over the stock plastic hex.

Comment

Really interested to see how this goes I also hear you can only run splined style 5 bolts

Comment

were did you get those caps. Looking for somebody who sells these..

Comment

So you're running a few 1mm inserts to make the 7mm rs bolts fit the 8mm holes? And then the rest of the bolts to hold the faces together, right? Interesting. Any more info on doing this? I need a spare wheel/tire for a set of bbs rs splits and if i can match the gold bolts on my bbs rc spare with rs bolts and without issue if i have to use it, that would be great!
                [

Comment

Originally posted by BADwayz View Post
                  So you're running a few 1mm inserts to make the 7mm rs bolts fit the 8mm holes? And then the rest of the bolts to hold the faces together, right? Interesting. Any more info on doing this? I need a spare wheel/tire for a set of bbs rs splits and if i can match the gold bolts on my bbs rc spare with rs bolts and without issue if i have to use it, that would be great!
                  The spacers I used where only temporarily fitted in about 5 of the 34 holes on each wheel, basically I used them to index the center to the barrel. Once I had them index properly I installed and torqued all the other 30 or so bolts and then pulled the spacers and installed the remaing bolts. I haven't had any issues with running rs bolts on rc as of yet, just make sure and torque to around 25 lbs and use blue loctite on the threads and should be goldin.

Also I will be heading to Bimmerfest tomorrow for my first time, if any of you want to check me wheels out in person feel free to.

Comment

Maybe the faces are different on the 18's, but my 17" faces are pressure mounted pretty tight before I put even one bolt in. Did you have that much wiggle room?
                    [

Comment

Working...
                    X