Old 03-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #1
FluidMotorUnion
O.G. StanceWorks Sponsor!
-SPONSOR-
StanceWorks OG
  • User Status: Offline

Default Y Pipes? Y Not!

This isnít our first time sacrificing proper grammar for a blog post title, and something tells us it wonít be the last, either.

Since Bobís car is already back out in the wilderness of the open road, we turn our attention to the E39 M5 axle-back section due to ship out to Europe this week. Fabrication is putting the finishing touches on everything, starting with the Y-pipes running from each pass-through resonator to the OEM midsection (or whatever this specific M5 will have). The Y-pipe construction starts with two individual pipes curving to a point in the metal, which will be shown below. And if one straight-on picture isnít enough to satiate your appetite for welding shots, well, we brought dessert.

From that point, we then lop off a section of the almost-a-Y-pipe and weld on the single outlet. After that, weíll have the axle-back in the jig, where weíll fashion the remaining pieces of pipe that are required to connect to the remaining exhaust system. A few more welds here and there (including the welds from the Y-pipe to the resonators themselves) and we have ourself one complete half of an exhaust!

The other sideís Y-pipe is being assembled as we speak, then after a quick bit of packaging itís off to the other side of the pond! Weíre excited and canít wait to get it out there. In other news, we have a couple more big projects slated to roll through the shop, so look forward to some sneak previews!

www.fluidmotorunion.com
www.stanceworks.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxer
I'm pretty sure I will molest any exhaust systems you leave lying around
Old 03-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
TrizZz
Get Low
StanceWorks Visitor

wow!
Old 03-15-2012, 01:47 AM   #3
WhiteStripes
StanceWorks OG

Gorgeous welds as always fellas!
Old 03-15-2012, 09:06 AM   #4
WICKED WEISS
RICHIE WEISS
StanceWorks OG

Wicked mad welds! Holy shit, those welds are like 10000000000 times better than what I see come from some big name aftermarket companies. Props!
Old 03-15-2012, 09:59 AM   #5
FluidMotorUnion
O.G. StanceWorks Sponsor!
-SPONSOR-
StanceWorks OG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrizZz View Post
wow!
Danke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteStripes View Post
Gorgeous welds as always fellas!
Why thank you! Awesome screen name, as always (huge White Stripes fan). haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by WICKED WEISS View Post
Wicked mad welds! Holy shit, those welds are like 10000000000 times better than what I see come from some big name aftermarket companies. Props!
Thanks! I know you're somewhat new to the site, so check out some of our older posts and you'll see that we've had this attention to detail for the longest time. It's not the fastest way to weld, but they're just so much cleaner and easier to present without slathering chrome and polish all over the damn thing. We've always prided ourselves on our attention to craftsmanship with metal fabrication.

Big name companies tend to use machinery, which do produce consistent welds over the course of a manufacturing run, but are also set up with some degree of speed and efficiency in mind, so it leads to larger beads. We don't have to worry about cranking out 500 of a particular unit, so we're able to take our time a bit. And everything's hand-made, as well.

Oh, and fun fact, the guy who welded this (Tom) is 21.

www.fluidmotorunion.com
www.stanceworks.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxer
I'm pretty sure I will molest any exhaust systems you leave lying around