My Kinesis K18 wheel rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Kinesis K18 wheel rebuild

So I found a listing on a local craigslist for some 3- piece 18" wheels and tires that were off an Acura MDX. Turns out the owner had no use for them and took little to nothing for them with brand new monster truck tires. Here's some pics of them before and after I picked them up.

With the 255-55-18 tires mounted, the wheels looked tiny. Sold the tires and made all my money back from the original purchase! With the tires off, the restoration process began. Now I was able to measure the specs on them. Turns out they are 5x114.3 18x8.5 +32 which measures just about perfect for my Altima.

Began taking them all apart and this is where I am now. Working on figuring out what to do with the curb rash on them and polishing the lips back out. Haven't decided on a color for the faces yet. Any opinions?

I've been thinking something crazy like candy real, candy apple red, or just a simple matte black or other matte color. And if anyone knows of some black Kinesis caps for sale, please let me know!
    2008 6mt G37s coupe
    2012 Altima 3.5SR

Here's some proof of authenticity and some pics of the worst curbage. Any idea what the best way to fix them? I'm planning on polishing myself after getting the curbs fixed. But this one lip has 2 deep gouges I'm not sure what to do with.

2008 6mt G37s coupe
    2012 Altima 3.5SR

Comment

nice find!!! keep them their original color or at least flat!

Comment

Well the original finish on the wheels is stained and I haven't been able to get any of them clean enough. And since they are all taken apart, there's no point in having dirty faces and super flossy lips.
        2008 6mt G37s coupe
        2012 Altima 3.5SR

Comment

Very nice find OP, and yeah the centers would look good in the original color, have you tried some rubbing compound on the paint to help with the stain/discoloration?

Comment

150/220 grit will work well on the curb rash. Just a lot of work, plus the one pictured second to last will look a little wavey.

Comment

How does someone curb a wheel with 255/55 tires? Curbs aren't that tall.

Nice find though

Comment

Originally posted by Byron View Post
                How does someone curb a wheel with 255/55 tires? Curbs aren't that tall.

Nice find though
                Haha thats what I thought, but they were on his wife's MDX in that picture so there's no telling. Luckily the most of the curb rash is minimal except for the one wheel pictured that has 2 noticible curb checks.

And I do still fell very lucky on the find, but now I dont wanna have to buy all new lips for them. Gonna try to grind down the curbs and polish the lips myself and see how they look. Fingers crossed....
                2008 6mt G37s coupe
                2012 Altima 3.5SR

Comment

Well made a little bit of progress on the wheels today. Started on my attempt to repair the curb damage and hand polishing the lips. TONS of work, but so far so good.

2008 6mt G37s coupe
                  2012 Altima 3.5SR

Comment

I love these wheels. Nice find !

Comment

Stoked to see them finished!

Comment

Well I'm about 80% successful in repairing the curb marks except for the one lip with the 2 deep rashes. I'm afraid I will have to have them either filled with god knows what or just buy a new lip. Any suggestions for this lip?

2008 6mt G37s coupe
                        2012 Altima 3.5SR

Comment

Where do you find such a deal man! lol I have been searching high and low on CL

Doing great work so far!

Comment

You'll probably need a new lip on that one, looks pretty bad.

Comment

Well guys I'm stuck on a final decision for the color on the wheels. I don't want something plain like the original finished silver. Here's a couple different ideas I've been tinkering around with...

2008 6mt G37s coupe
                              2012 Altima 3.5SR

Comment

Working...
                              X