Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

7mgte 2wd hilux swap (its gonna take a while)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7mgte 2wd hilux swap (its gonna take a while)

so my best friend is my trusty hilux. she never lets me down, never breaks down, never gives up, and has never told me something is too hard. she used to be sitting on the bump stops, but i have raised it again because i actually use this as a ute, so i need some travel. she also has a shitty set of rims but needs spacers. as of late whitney (cant remember how we came up with that) has been approaching 350000km. still runs like a dream and nothing can kill her 22r of a heart. but being female theres always something she wants. in her case its a 7mgte from a mk3 supra. i was searching the local classifieds a few nights back, and there was an "AS IS" 7mgte in there for 80 bucks (aus). called the guy and he said its been sitting for a while but it has oil in it and a new metal HG. i bought it the next day. i forgot my engine crane so me and another mate had to lift the whole thing onto the back of whitney. 3 attempts and a few sore wrists and we had her on. i got home and started tearing it apart, but got stuck because of all the allen keys i have, i lacked the size for the head bolts. anyway i got it on an engine stand and took a look to see what it needs. it was missing the alternator, water pump, ignitors and spark plug/leads. having no plugs in it i thought maybe something had fallen into the cylinders so i flipped the engine upside down and had a bunch of rusty water come out of cylinder 4. thankfully it was just a rusty bolt that had fallen in, and thankfully the oil prevented and corrosion. the guy said one piston has shot rings so ive decided to give the engine a go-over. gonna stay stock as i dont need big HP. it pus down 2.5 times what my 22r did already, and i get her sideways easy. so heres some pics of the first day i had it back. ill snap more when i get the head off. photos of the car is all i got and they from a Buck and Spinsters night last year.

need to finish my e21 first so it wont get swapped for a while, but ill continue to snap pics the engine build.
    Last edited by jlaffo91; 01-24-2012, 01:26 PM.

Sweet loving it, I am swapping a 7mgte into my wagon and it too is taking a while.

I'll keep checking in for progress.

Comment

Originally posted by electricalbox View Post
      Sweet loving it, I am swapping a 7mgte into my wagon and it too is taking a while.

I'll keep checking in for progress.
      Just realised I'm subscribed to walters thread. Should be awesome. Which tranny will you be using??

Comment

Looks like it's going to be a fun swap man. Good luck.
        IG: ashtonlafleur

Comment

Should be cool. Be sure to do a headgasket and ARP studs on the 7m before you drop it in!
          Deathsquad mofo.

Comment

Originally posted by jlaffo91 View Post
            Just realised I'm subscribed to walters thread. Should be awesome. Which tranny will you be using??
            I am planning on just running the w58 since the previous owner of my wagon already did the 5 speed swap and my build is supposed to be a budget build. More than likely once it is all in and running I will put in a r154 once the w58 takes a dump.

Comment

Originally posted by DragginWagonII View Post
              Should be cool. Be sure to do a headgasket and ARP studs on the 7m before you drop it in!
              deifanetly will. previous owner did MLS gasket but no head stud which sucks cos now i gota pull it apart to do the rings. waste of a good HG

Originally posted by electricalbox View Post
              I am planning on just running the w58 since the previous owner of my wagon already did the 5 speed swap and my build is supposed to be a budget build. More than likely once it is all in and running I will put in a r154 once the w58 takes a dump.
              at least you got a w58. im running a g52, i give it a week befor it blows

Comment

not much else has happened lately. went to melbourne for a holiday. spent too much money and drank lots of beer. anyway got back and decided to order a rebuild kit off ebay cos it was cheap. i think i paid 400 and it came with new oversize pistons. i dont care what quality they are because they are cheap and im low on cash atm. good news is i found a HKS metal head gasket inside the engine. looks almost new. still had the rubber on it when i took it out. the guy did say it needed a new piston ring. found the old one in the sump in pieces. that aside all seems well. gonna go pick up some spares for it next week and hopefully have all the machining done the week after. then its just put it back togather and drop it in. then burnouts!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for now ive just been cleaning things and hitting it with a fire wheel and rust deactivator. found some blue engine enamel in the shed so i painted somethings cos i got bored

i have been looking after/fixing a mates car at the moment aswell. its a 180sx ca18det and auto.... bone stock. makes for a shit 180. anyway he's been driving with no coolant and a blown HG for a while so we're giving it a good overhaul as its been through hell. temp sensor was faulty so always said it was fine. turbo ceased before engine thankfully and thats how we found out it was f'd.

a few pics of the 7M

Comment

just when i thought i ws clear of all other problem. cylinder 5's rod bearing...toasted. that little nub is where it has melted into the oil capilaries of the crank and then fallen out. no visible damage to the crank tho. rod has the slightest scoring but maybe the machine shop can ressurect it and drop in an oversize (or undersize however you like to call it) bearing and maybe it will live. if not well its a nice excuse for forged rods

Comment

looking good.

Comment

great project and the best Toyota.

Comment

back at uni for a few weeks now so much has been happening. i did have a small run-in with a stop sign. missed a turning and slammed on my brakes in wet weather, and ran over a stop sign. slight damage to the bumper but everything else is fine. so im currently running bumperless. also got arund to dropping the front end again. didnt like the colour of the wheels so painted em black. can go lower but when you see my driveway you will realise why i need some sort of clearence.

my horrible driveway.

till next time

Comment

all was welland looking like this.

then today this happened.

so its all gotta go stock now

Comment

The hell? you have to run it completely stock now? thats just the man trying to hold you down..
                            Originally posted by Jesus Christ
                            the VW community is weird. dont try to understand, its like understanding africa.
                            Instagram: bigslowchevy

Comment

Originally posted by Madhatter View Post
                              The hell? you have to run it completely stock now? thats just the man trying to hold you down..
                              ill run it stock till it goes over the pits, then dump it on its arse again. at the end of the day, i got done for bald tires

Comment

Working...
                              X