Originally Posted by Rainer
That Chevy looks so cool. Link for more pics of it?
The Simca is promising also, when it's done, it should be quite an eye-catcher.
forgive my style of thread writing(or lack thereof) im kinda all over the place. lol
Originally Posted by 65Mustang
You just have to build this
I'm also going to use this for my 16V simca (On RR forum
Then you can you use a coil over set instead of the leafsprings !
oh cool man! yeah I want to build that! got some thickwall tubing. REAL tubing(my friends always make fun of me because I usually use blackpipe from the harware store haha. not this time! made a new subframe for the a arms and steering to mount to:
so for the simca, I want a totally modern control system, but use old-school hardware and techniques. I plan to build an ITB setup, cast my own throttle bodies, intake, valve cover, and timing chain cover. I also have a small turbo from a subaru that I want to build a fully equal length, gas welded header for. I plan on having the tb's draw directly from a deck mounted intercooler. these rear engine simca have fairly big louvered sections that will duct strait into the intercooler. as i am mounting the rad in the front. I will use the other set of louvers for intake air.
Here are some Pictures!
the start of the manifold. everything upsized by 5/32 per foot
Fuel Injector register with registers for bolts to clamp a cap to the injector. I will run hard lines to the caps from a fuel block like an old f1 lucas mechanical system. Real Injection systems don't have those cheesy extruded ally fuel rails! haha
registers glued on.
Carriges glued on for the core mould to ride in. I got some sodium silicate that I will use to make co2 cured cores(so they are very strong but can be broken down with water after casting). this manifold will not be to radical, size wise, since I plan to make 100-150 hp. I will go from the standard port size to a 1.5" throttle plate.
Split in half for aranging in the cope and drag. I still need to get rid of a few undercuts but I hope to cast it after a little more practice.
I got some petrobond sand and did a cast of a head I made from clay to see what the detail was like.
the mould had tons of undercuts, but its promising!
Then I made a two piece mould for the throttle bodies.
And cast. I will show more pics of the cope and drag, gating, venting etc. if anyone wants.
I still need to work on my sprue work as there was some odd shrinkage that could have been avoided with a bit more hydrostatic pressure.
I machined some surfaces just to see how well it does. Really soft! I wonder if casting alloy (im guessing im using 356) ages? it sort of feels like lead, the way it cuts
Anyway, small victories! And I'm marginally smarter than a bronze age foundryman! more soon I hope!
I worked more on the throttle bodies this weekend and think I have the technique down a bit better. this time I made a sand core for the center as I don't want to spend hours on the lathe hogging them out(and its good practice for the tapered sand cores for the manifold)
first i made a core mould out of 2" sugar pine:
then I split it and put in a locator dowel:
then I painted it to seal the grain. next I mixed a small amount of sodium silicate and sifted play sand and rammed it into the mould. I don't know the mechanism, but sodium silicate sets up hard when introduced to c02, so i unplugged my regulator from my welding tank and pushed it into the small hole in the back of the core mould:
packed down. this is the oil based moulding sand. Its expensive but tons better than my mix of water based sand in terms of workability and detail. I don't know how the old-school guys do it!?!
I cut the gates and breathers into all the high points, set the cores in and cast it.
you can kinda see the core in there.
here you can see the core carriages that I added on that locates the core concentrically.
after some machining. the bore is still roughed out and the throttle shaft and bearing journals need to be cut. I will also cut an o-ring groove in the back. I also finished the manifold mould and cores and even cast one, but because of lack of sleep I put the flasks on backwards!!! looks like a salvador dali piece. good thing sand can be reused and the aluminum can be remelted. I didn't really like my core mould for it anyway so Ill try to build that better. More soon.
please if anyone has questions or comments just post up! I really want to start a dialog on casting aluminum as it seems its a lost art, at least in terms of a backyard hobby. everyone builds welded aluminum manifolds, or machines stuff out of billet, but there is something to be said for a nice cast piece. at least its cheaper than buying a cnc or TIG! lol