Davegerous E21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Davegerous E21

My E21 endeavors began with a free one that had hit a deer. the engine was partially taken apart and the whole thing was trashed.

I'll post pics of it before I started parting it out if you want, but these are more exciting. This is after I sold/traded the wheels for crappy mk2 wheels, which wouldn't fit up front without removing the caliper and running them backwards. I kept the coils off this car, and I later ended up scrapping them... but it was fun to lower it in the process of getting parts off of it anyways.

this is about what the engine bay looked like

Since I didn't have a key for it, I couldn't steer it, so I used some rock crawling ingenuity to get a floor jack under it to pivot it around to get it to the front of the yard so the Junk yard people could pick it up.

I had a little more fun with the car before I was done with it

Anyways, this pile was obtained because it was more feasible to make it a driving car and have fun with it sooner, plus the front end parts alone would have cost me more to just replace on the free car. I thought this car was going to run with the stock M10, but it turned out to be seized... I didn't find this out until after I bought new plugs for it, put new oil in, and spent over $150 to get new injector pipe. (the injector pipe is still for sale for a mega discount price by the way! PM me if you're interested.) The radiator was broken at the top hose hookup too, but it was hidden by having the hose sitting over it...

anyways, before realizing that the engine was crap, I had to lower it since it was such an eye sore. wouldn't want to upset the neighbors

had to grind down the deal on the upper threaded cap piece on the strut housing to fit the free coilover sleeves. I used old toyota spring bushings as bump stops, they work great!

After choosing not to rebuild the spare 2 litre M10 that came in the trunk of the free car, I pulled out the 1.8 litre M10 to make room for the new engine.

the motor mounts consist of plating on the "frame rail" with .120 wall HREW tubing that fits poly chevy leaf spring bushings

the engine mounts in action

(the engine is a mazda 12A by the way)

custom braized fittings to run a stainless braided line so I can use the mazda slave cylinder with the BMW master cylinder. I got this done at a nice hydraulic shop.

Quick and dirty radiator mounting with rubber air box mounts from both E21's

ghetto battery switch setup (I plan to make it nicer soon)

ghetto drive line that almost killed me last september. I learned the hard way as to why the stock one had a carrier bearing. it was too small around for it's length, so it whipped and kinked (more on that later)

Dumpster rescue muffler with a home made adapter

this phase of the exhaust cost me nothing besides welding supplies.

aftermarket fuel pump

Mechanical secondaries on the carb, the free way. A lot of people use bread ties, I 1 upped them with bailing wire.

the car wasn't low at this point, but I had the oil pan at a ways above the sub frame. I have yet to hit it on anything.

some pics of it when I first got it running all ghetto like

sloppy engine bay:

and here's what I found when I took the head off the stock engine

and that concludes phase 1 of my E21 endeavors. Stay tuned for Phase 2.

Dave's Muffler & More on the social network!!!
    DAVESMUFFLERANDMORE@GMAIL.COM

Phase 2, I got tired of bottoming out all the time, especially since the car wasn't even low. My back couldn't take it anymore.

This is why you'll have a really hard time finding an E21 that's lower than mine, the sub frame and control arm hit

So the hacking began. I wanted to try and raise my control arms to help ball joint angle, this also gave me more camber i think. I was able to raise the control arm mounts 3/4" vary feasibly.

some notching and test fitting took place

I had to box in the sub frame since it was so hacked. Gots to keep it strong!

just so I don't get anyone saying "hey, you forgot to weld that!"

On to some really exciting stuff. I shortened the strut housings and made .120 wall DOM spacers so the shorter struts would fit snug. I forgot how much I shortened the struts, but I can verify if it really has your curiosity going

I drove it around with the front a bit lower than it was before the front end mods, and I had a fresh coat of "pacific blue" on the car. I also used some spacers on the rear stock wheels to make them fit right. the front and rear fenders were rolled at this point. the fronts took a 2X4 and hammer, and the rear took an angle grinder to cut the wide inner lip and then the 2X4 and hammer treatment. This was before I painted it of course

Dash panel:

E30 seats, i had to alter the factory seat mounts in the car to get them to bolt up.. it sucked

Ramzzz

and that concludes Phase 2 of my BMW endeavors.

Stay tuned!

Comment

Phase 3: my drive line whipped and kinked and caused me to crash the car. I feel really bad about running a faulty drive line, but I learned at least.

broken fuel tank

On to fixing it, I upgraded the trans mount. the other one I made was hideous and ripped out of the factory slotted holes when the drive line failed. I plated the body real good in the trans mounting area and made a decent mount.

Finished the climate control delete that's been going on since I touched the car to make room for my new fuel gauge that was needed with the fuel cell

Got the engine bay a lot cleaner, I'm going to paint it some day, but I want to clean up the wiring just a little more first.

drive line adapter. (bmw uses horrible yokes, so I used an FB yoke on the diff end)

slight problem...

solution:

Relocated the fuel pump and used an RCI fuel cell (the fuel cell is for sale!)

drive line (the most expensive thing on the whole car)

steezy drive line safety strap

made a new exhaust with a flex joint. thanks to that and the stock tanks not being in the way, it is much higher up in the car than it used to be. I hardly ever hit it now.

started driving it after a 3 month ish hiatus from repairs

the RCI fuel cell didn't seal vapors well at all (that's why it's for sale), so I made one with a little help

pressure testing

expensive, but pretty nice cap setup

strut bar

the strut tower is plated, then the square tube was notched and welded on

My fossil fuel containment apparatus is all Jurassic!

and here's how the car sits now. it's gotten lower over time as you may notice

and that concludes the build thread thus far. Stay tuned for more as the car progresses!

Comment

love it, good shit. You should find some wider wheels for it.

Comment

Looks good

E21s look awesome

Comment

Good build thread cars looking good
            Live,Breathe,Build,Believe,BMW!

Comment

thanks guys! Wider wheels are something I'm always keeping an eye out for. I had some Enkei EK81's that I ended up selling that were .5" wider than the wheels on it now. I'm kind of regretting getting rid of them. I don't want a whole lot of poke though, I like the heavily tucked tire look a little more personally.

Comment

nice. you're lucky that driveshaft didnt snap and hit the road. ive heard of cars being 'pole vaulted' when driveshafts break. its not a fun thing to happen... lol

what size are the wheels you're running at the moment?
                sigpic
                Midmounted Mazda Minitruck video build thread - www.youtube.com/pimppalacecustoms
                Build pics and randomness - www.facebook.com/pimppalacecustoms
                Long term project 340i (Lexus V8 powered e21) http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...highlight=340i

Comment

nice. I've been looking at subframe mods as well for my car. There is a guy on BFC that shortened the entire subframe to lift the control arm mounts. Pretty jazzy modification.

Mr. Belvedere

I want to buy your single 4x100 Ronal Racing center

Comment

Yeah dave!

now come help me make the mounts for my M20!
                    Volkswagen Jetta, MKiii (Daily)
                    BMW 320i, E21 (FOR SALE)

Comment

awesome!!

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...t=16940&page=7

Comment

Great car. Is there any chance to get rid of those terrible US-bumpers? The car would look so much cleaner with Euro bumpers.

Comment

Awesome build. I really miss my E21

Comment

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the feedback!

Yea, I've heard of drive lines sending cars air borne before, so that's why I have the little safety strap to prevent that in case of a U joint failure. My mishap in september could have easily been a lot worse, you wouldn't believe how long I kept it on the road spinning out. I'm lucky I didn't roll and/or hit a tree, or another car.

My wheels are 15X6, I forget the offset, I think it was something like ET36ish... doesn't matter much though because I had to use wheel spacers to even run them, which cancels out any offset related shortcomings.

Neek, do you have a link or pics of the shortened sub frame? I kind of explored that possibility, but notching it ended up being more feasible for me at the time and I wouldn't have known what to do about my steering shaft (I can TIG aluminum now though), and my engine is too close for that.

As far as the bumpers, I absolutely **** my US bumpers. if I could obtain euro bumpers cheaply, I might do that. I'm considering tube bumpers, but not off road looking. I have some ideas in my head. I'd have to move out the rear "valance" to be at the end of the car like on euro model E21's to make the back look right. maybe I'll do those this summer. we'll see.

Comment

Fancy meeting you here...
                              TheFitGarage.

Comment

Working...
                              X