quantum coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quantum coupe

so i'm on my 3rd set of wheels for my quantum in under a year. i'm starting this build thread to keep my ADD under control, kinda keep me focused. i got the coupe unexpectedly last march, and i had a set of centra 7's kicking around that i figured would work perfect for it. they were 15x7, et 43. after a test fit, i realized i needed 1"/1.5" spacers just to put them close to my fenders. i liked the design of the wheels, thought they worked well with the car, but they just didnt fill the fenders.

so i sold them, and grabbed up a set of 16x7, et20 enkei 92's. better, but still looked funny from different angles cause of the width, especially out back.

so, i've moved on to this latest set. compomotive cx600, 16x9/10's et?. not sure about the offset yet, cause they're not marked, and i'm too lazy measure. all i know is, after a test fit, its gonna be tricky. they're corvette fitment, 5x120. the car is 4x100.... with the enkei's (4x108), i was able to sneak in a 15mm adapter in the rear, but up front i had to redrill the hubs.
    with the comps, they're pretty close to where i want them, without adapters. so, my plan for the front is to shave down the backside of the wheel hub, by about 10mm. this will leave me room for a 15mm adapter, only taking away 5mm from the offset. putting me right where i want to be. in the rear, i'm gonna redrill the brake drum to 5x120, then add a drop plate behind the spindle. i was already planning to do this so i could get a little more adjustment out of my coils, but its also gonna push the wheels out about 8-10mm, putting them right where i want them. here's a shitty cell pic of the test fit.

the wheels need a complete restoration. i need one barrel, which to my surprise, compomotive has in stock. i'm gonna split them, replace the fasteners, polish the lips, and get the centers painted back to their original gold. probably gonna run a 205/40 and 215/40. i'll have better pics of the wheels on sunday when i start to tear them down.
    this winter is gonna be challenging for this car. i'm gathering parts for a swap too. the factory 1.7lt isnt gonna cut it. i'm all about low and slow, but when following friends to shows, i got left behind at the tolls..... it sucked.

I've never even seen one of these before. Is it front or rear wheel drive?

And good call on refinishing them in gold, when I saw the picture that's the first thing that came to mind.
    Stance-less

Comment

The car is fwd, but the engine is longitudinal, solid rear beam. It's kinda a bastard setup. VW was confused back in 82..... As for the wheels, I want them restored back to original. under the shitty black spraybomb, the gold is showing in parts. So gold it is....

Comment

Originally posted by mr sarcastic View Post
        The car is fwd, but the engine is longitudinal, solid rear beam. It's kinda a bastard setup.
        Whaat? How are the transmission and CV's mounted?
        Stance-less

Comment

Probably mounted the same as my mom's '92 100S 2.8L... It was longitudinal engine, transmission, and a transfercase back to front wheels type of deal. It's been years though, I could be wrong.

Car is bad ass, man.

Comment

That's a cool car, I don't think I've seen one before. Those Compos should look great fitted.

Comment

Looks so cool

Comment

saw this at H2o i think. sick project and the new wheels are going to look great after the refurb
                sigpic
                1990 Nissan fairlady Z32 - long term build
                1982 euro porsche 930 turbo

"A less- assuming enthusiast probably wouldnt even think that this Z ran because of how naked the engine compartment was. The motor looks as if it just floats there, with nothing else in sight." Super Street 9/2012

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=19185

Comment

Originally posted by JasperThomas View Post
                  Whaat? How are the transmission and CV's mounted?
                  the transmission is pointed towards the back, but instead of a shaft coming off the tail, theres is a cv cup on each side about halfway down.

Comment

This WAS one of my favorite cars at brokedown and H20.
                    Absolutely CANNOT wait to see where you go with it. Does this thing use strut inserts in the fronts like old audis/fox/quantum wagons and what not?

Comment

It uses strut inserts. I had to re-engineer the suspension a little to get it low. I used mk1 bilstien inserts, cause they're shorter. cut down the housings and added theaded sleeves w/collars off eBay. Put some custom springs on that called it good. In the rear i'm using the oem shocks off our mk5. They're way shorter.

Comment

That thing is Shit Fucking Hot! :O I want one!
                        Project NewCoolOldSchool started

Comment

Originally posted by mr sarcastic View Post
                          It uses strut inserts. I had to re-engineer the suspension a little to get it low. I used mk1 bilstien inserts, cause they're shorter. cut down the housings and added theaded sleeves w/collars off eBay. Put some custom springs on that called it good. In the rear i'm using the oem shocks off our mk5. They're way shorter.
                          Awesome, same boat my brother is in with his Audi. Although the inserts in the 200s are a tad bigger so hes gotta get them shortened or something.
                          Car looks great tho!

Comment

What the fuck ist that? Some sort of a passat maybe?
                            Originally posted by Oxer
                            I dont know why, but I love your car.. Its OEM cleanness makes me happy in the genitals.

Comment

For real? Did you not read the thread title? hahaha

Comment

Working...
                              X