68 Opel Kadett, from grandmas car to trackday racer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 68 Opel Kadett, from grandmas car to trackday racer

My new peoject, 1968 Opel Kadett B Coupe.

After selling my last trackday car, a 2000 mod Audi S4, i was looking for something that didnt cost an arm and a leg in insurance and other expences. Living in norway a veteran car (older then 30 years) is the answer because insurance is low and the yearly roadtax is very low compared to newer cars.

That being said, its not easy to find a car in norway thats not allready restored, and therefore very expensive, or a unrestored car with little rust. Its common to salt the roads in norway in winter.

After much searcing i found an 1968 Opel Kadett B that hadnt been used since 1994, it had just been sitting in a barn.

Rust wasnt that bad and i got the car cheap, i bought it in an town about to hours drive from my workshop and i drove the car home, everything worked fine!

Some pictures from when i first drove it to my workshop.

Regrettably, the guy I bought the car from had plans to "restore" it before he sold it, one of the things he did was to paint the whole car in a flat black paint usually used on metall gates and things like that. And he didnt do any work to the car first, he just painted over rust and dents. So i have to remove all that paint to get it ready for real carpaint.
    Last edited by Andtho; 12-14-2010, 05:36 AM.
    My cars:
    1978 VW Derby 1.3LS
    1998 Audi A4 1,8TS Quattro Avant
    1999 VW Golf 4 1.9TDi

Nice project...

Keep us posted...

Comment

this could have so much win when finished

tho a lot of work has to go on it..
      bodywork looks in crappy state
      Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

Continuing. The car was originally the cheapest Kadett you could get in 68. Read the specs and weep:

- 1.1 liter engine, 55bhp
        - Drum brakes all around
        - No brake assist, both feet on the brake paddle to stop in speeds over 50kmt
        - Leaf spring between front wheels, normal springs in the back
        - No seat adjustment, my girlfriend has to sit at the front of the seat to reach the pedals. Not very convienient.

On the plus side, the dry weight of this car is 760kg, which means it should be possible to get this "race ready" weighing in under 900kg.

Opel released an Rallye version of this car with disc brakes in the front and a 1.9 liter engine. The only problem is that the 1.1 and the rallye has different gearbox tunnels. They actually made a larger tunnel for the 1.9 engine. This means more work for me.

Some of my plans for this car is a rallye front and rear suspension, the front suspension have I allready bought:

This will be completely dismantled and painted, then im putting it back together with new bushings and balljoints.

I found a wide arch kit on the internet, this Im ordering together with bushings and balljoint from OpelGTSource which is located i the States, http://www.opelgtsource.com/.

Luckely for me the suspension on the GT and the Kadett Rallye is similar.

A picture of the wide arches:

I have also bought an Mazda 1.8l engine from a friends MX5 complete with gearbox and transmission. One would argue that i should use the opel 16v engine, but the mazda 16v has the same specs and was cheaper. There are also many different turbo and blower kits for the mazda engine on ebay. Im aming for 300hp/900kg for starters.
        Last edited by Andtho; 12-14-2010, 03:12 AM.
        My cars:
        1978 VW Derby 1.3LS
        1999 VW Golf 4 1.9TDi

Comment

Originally posted by Riskant View Post
          Nice project...

Keep us posted...
          Originally posted by P78 View Post
          this could have so much win when finished

tho a lot of work has to go on it..
          bodywork looks in crappy state
          Thx, I have actually done some work allready, i will update soon.

The bodywork is being stripped to bare metall, its a track car and not a "show and shine" car, but I have some pride in what I do. So it will get a good refurbishing and paintjob.
          My cars:
          1978 VW Derby 1.3LS
          1999 VW Golf 4 1.9TDi

Comment

Removing rust

First thing i did when i got the car was to remove the thick insulation mats in the floor, I also welded in some fresh metall where there was rust. The floor was actually very good, very little rust.

Its hard to believe that this is a 42 year old floor.

Next i removed the front fenders and started to cut away the rust (this is a common place that these rust)

Notice the nice leather interior, complete with a mouse nest inside the backseat.

Fresh metall welded in.

I need a better welder, but it has to do for now. Its hard to make nice welds with my current welder.

Done. did the same process on the other side.

I use a welders mask and gloves, the last picture was just to please to photographer.
            Last edited by Andtho; 12-14-2010, 05:40 AM.
            My cars:
            1978 VW Derby 1.3LS
            1999 VW Golf 4 1.9TDi

Comment

Love the build thus far. Im gonna go out on a limb and guess your using flux core welding wire, and no gas. Before you give up on your welder try lowering your wire feed speed, there's alot of splatter on your welds which indicates a cold weld/ high wire feed rate. You can get decent quality mig welds from a buzz box, it's all about settings.

Comment

Finally the last bit of rust on the car before i turn my attention to make it ready for paint.

The bottom of both front fenders was quite rusty, therefore i ordered som new pieces from http://www.opel-classic-parts.com/ which is a company in the netherlands

I quite liked the packaging.

Unfortunately the new pieces didnt cover all the rust, so i had to make some parts to the fenders my selves

One of the cutouts

One side allmost complete

The same job on the other side, hope to get this done in the coming weekend.
                Last edited by Andtho; 12-14-2010, 05:41 AM.
                My cars:
                1978 VW Derby 1.3LS
                1999 VW Golf 4 1.9TDi

Comment

Originally posted by Leftouch View Post
                  Love the build thus far. Im gonna go out on a limb and guess your using flux core welding wire, and no gas. Before you give up on your welder try lowering your wire feed speed, there's alot of splatter on your welds which indicates a cold weld/ high wire feed rate. You can get decent quality mig welds from a buzz box, it's all about settings.
                  Thanks.

Jup, you`re quite right. I have tried different settings. But its a cheap welder i borrowed from a friend, its just 220v connected to a normal 16amp circuit. I think the main problem is that it lacks power.

To my deffence, Im no welder, but a friend of mine that is a welder tried to find the best settings but gave up in the process. He said i needed a new one, but i havent got the money for that at this time.
                  Last edited by Andtho; 12-14-2010, 03:43 AM.
                  My cars:
                  1978 VW Derby 1.3LS
                  1999 VW Golf 4 1.9TDi

Comment

My girfriend started the process of removing the paint from the hood, not a very fun job, but it has to be done. The whole car will get this threatment before vi apply the filler.

This makes us uptodate, i will update as soon as we get something done.

One last picture, some inspiration. This is what Im aiming for, just lower and with the wide arches.

My cars:
                    1978 VW Derby 1.3LS
                    1999 VW Golf 4 1.9TDi

Comment

One last update for now.

I got hold of some wheels and a new seat quite cheap on the internet, i think these wheels will look nice on the car when i get the stance i want on it.

The Sparco seat with 4 point harness.
                      My cars:
                      1978 VW Derby 1.3LS
                      1999 VW Golf 4 1.9TDi

Comment

Nice project Anders, realy lookin forward to do some racing next year
                        www.gsbildeler.no The best BMW parts suplyer!
                        www.akgmotorsport.com all u need
                        www.vts-racing.no/forum/index.php My buddies in norway
                        E28 with a s50b32 m3 engine
                        sigpic[

Comment

mmmm that's something interesting...

keep updating.

flickr

Comment

Very very nice!

Comment

great work bro!
                              big fan of kadetts
                              I WAS ALWAYS TOLD I WAS TOO NEGATIVE AS A KID, NOW THEY'RE ALL AT IT

Comment

Working...
                              X