No announcement yet.

my kraut burner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• got the bolts i needed to finish the alternator bracket today, so after work i bolted it on. just need to sort out a slightly longer belt, and an allen head bolt for the adjuster.

its held on with 2 bolts and one nut to the timing cover, i cant get a m10 tap down to the lower 4th spot, which i'll do if it decides to flext at all(it really shouldnt), or when the motor or radiator comes out next.

also bought some diff oil, might put that in tomorrow

Comment

• my driveshaft/diff adapters came back from my mate today, along with some bits for the 36 and some hubcentric rings for dads car

so now i have both 2x3 and 5 stud nissan driveshaft patterns on the adapters, so diff options are expanded should i need to :p

seems i done good on the measuring, coz they bolted up bang on!! just need to get some of those spacer/double washer things for the commodore cv's

Comment

• i loctited the adapters onto the diff today, and started reinstalling the diff. looks like i'll need to drop the subframe to get it fully bolted back up, and to do some clearancing for the front diff flange.

might be able to put my pump and filter back up where they were too, just move them a touch.(they worked fine wherte they were, i moved them for clearance of the driveshaft, which now looks like it should be fine

next job is to cut up the commodore shafts and work out new length for each side

need to get some of those washer/shim things that go under the bolts on the cv's too sometime.

Comment

• Loving this build! Those flares and front spoiler are sick! Definitely going to watch this one

Flickr Photostream | My Build Thread | Stalk me on Instagram, yo!

Comment

• Get off your balls and finish this!

(after you finish my loom) <3
            Hi, my name is Dom and i like to party.

IG - Cinemodd

Comment

• Originally posted by hakhawk View Post
              then when i get bored with the cammed bmw motor, i have an sr20det sitting in the shed, gt2860r turbo, alu flywheel, s13 5spd box, r33 lsd diff to go in
              You disgust me, if you inevitably SR this Hak i will destroy you.
              Hi, my name is Dom and i like to party.

IG - Cinemodd

Comment

• THREAD RESURRECTION

i bought some recaros

that is all

Comment

• so a bit of a play with the recaros today, bought some rails from work, one hole and some modification to the slider bar and they fit perfectly!!

comparison to the mx5 seats that i had in it. the mx5 seats are a kg or so heavier. might throw them on the corner scales for laughs oneday

and sitting in the car. the holes in the rail surpisingly line up with the oem holes, but the rails are ~20mm too narrow, so need to make a plate to widen it just a little bit.

Comment

• jesus, like 3 years since a post in here :| dropbox have killed direct linking now, so ill have to slowly move my pics/links to flickr

moved interstate last year, bought a garage with house attached, so now i can finally start working on the e21 again

so last night myself and a mate who is visiting on holidays started pulling her apart. the plan is strip it completely and start fresh. fix up the few bits of rust that have crept back after sitting for so long, do some stitch welding maybe, weld up holes in the engine bay, etc etc.

20170319_191158 by troy, on Flickr

20170319_220010 by troy, on Flickr

FB_IMG_1489966725220 by troy, on Flickr

also building a set of slide throttles for it aswell

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

Comment

• pulled the engine and box today

20170423_160619 by troy, on Flickr

bay needs a good clean, strip and hole filling

20170423_160831 by troy, on Flickr

engine needs the same treatment, strip it down and clean and repaint, replace gaskets and maybe a few seals. very few oil leaks though, but considering it only did like 5000ks since the rebuild thats not surpising

20170423_161731 by troy, on Flickr

clean as a whistle under the rocker cover, again not surprising. will throw in a bigger bumpstick and the double valve springs that have been collecting dust, maybe oversized valves

20170423_165457 by troy, on Flickr

intake is clean, was a little heavy with the gasket goo upon assembly :p

20170423_162207 by troy, on Flickr

had to test fit the slides and prototype water neck of course! fits nicely, just need to move the dipstick and drop the rear water hose down a tickle. can see some of the custom bits ive done for it over the years, remote oil filter adapter, custom alternator bracket, etc

20170423_164311 by troy, on Flickr

20170423_164700 by troy, on Flickr

kinda stoked on this, without actually measuring i managed to get the slide throttles within 1mm of lining up to the back of the block, plenty of clearance to the firewall, so no worries there

20170423_170314 by troy, on Flickr

and this is what WOT will look like, straight down the guts with no restrictions!!

20170423_163653 by troy, on Flickr

Comment

• converted the headlights the other day to standard 7" sealed beam setup, but went with some leds for something different. just need to wire wheel and paint the brackets

20170510_161049 by troy, on Flickr

20170510_173304 by troy, on Flickr

20170510_161834 by troy, on Flickr

20170510_162446 by troy, on Flickr

car is mostly stripped. wiring is all gone, dash, interior, fuel and brake lines. need to pull suspension and pedal box and a few other things, but need it on a rotisserie first

20170425_164039 by troy, on Flickr

steering wheel i think ill end up using. stole it from the old man, he thinks its older than me and done its time on a few cars. the top of the grip is starting to flake a bit but shes still solid

20170424_164259 by troy, on Flickr

Comment

• putting the 3d printer to work, making header mockup tubes. tolerances arent great, so they move around a bit. need to add some tape on the joins, and will glue them once set how i want, then copy in stainless

20170730_175215 by troy, on Flickr

20170730_173353 by troy, on Flickr

and been working on injector setup for the slides, thanks ducati!!

20170717_175527 by troy, on Flickr
                          Last edited by hakhawk; 07-30-2017, 06:43 AM.

Comment

• played with my header mockup some more. still need to test fit in car, make sure everything clears

20170806_160504 by troy, on Flickr

cant wait to get this thing running one day!!

20170806_160327 by troy, on Flickr

Comment

• Love me a good engine build.
                              Great you kept the M10 and not just swapping in a m20 or what ever.
                              Make sure to cover as much as possible, very exiting content!

*About to swarm you with questions*

Assuming, you talking about the kjet injection, it is a 1.8 or a 2.0?
                              How much power are you looking to get when you're done?
                              What will the Engine specs be when it's finished?
                              Are there any options inside the bmw parts bin to use?

What made you choose the slide throttles over a regular itb setup, just the airflow increase or am i missing something?
                              The intakerunnners looks fairly short, are you going for rpm?
                              Speaking of lengths, is there any room to do a more straight tube comming out the head,
                              a hard bend (zyl. 1&4) tend to hurt the gas flow quite a bit.
                              Also courious to know what you used to figure out the tube lenghts and such.

Obviously you'll run a stand alone ECM, are you going all out like flex fuel, knock sensor,
                              sequential ignition as well as sequential injection, or basic Aplha/N?

Sorry again for all the questions.
                              I'll understand if you don't want to answer some question, i know engine builders keep their secrets...

Comment

• Originally posted by OrangeBlue View Post
                                Love me a good engine build.
                                Great you kept the M10 and not just swapping in a m20 or what ever.
                                Make sure to cover as much as possible, very exiting content!

*About to swarm you with questions*

Assuming, you talking about the kjet injection, it is a 1.8 or a 2.0?
                                How much power are you looking to get when you're done?
                                What will the Engine specs be when it's finished?
                                Are there any options inside the bmw parts bin to use?

What made you choose the slide throttles over a regular itb setup, just the airflow increase or am i missing something?
                                The intakerunnners looks fairly short, are you going for rpm?
                                Speaking of lengths, is there any room to do a more straight tube comming out the head,
                                a hard bend (zyl. 1&4) tend to hurt the gas flow quite a bit.
                                Also courious to know what you used to figure out the tube lenghts and such.

Obviously you'll run a stand alone ECM, are you going all out like flex fuel, knock sensor,
                                sequential ignition as well as sequential injection, or basic Aplha/N?

Sorry again for all the questions.
                                I'll understand if you don't want to answer some question, i know engine builders keep their secrets...
                                thanks man, yeh i considered other swaps, even had a sr20 sitting there at one point but decided against it

which post about injection are you referring to?

the engine started life as a 2.0 with kjet, i ditched that for bike carbs when it was on the road.

current engine specs are~
                                10.5:1 pistons, i went oversize, cant remember how much
                                292 IE cam(will be changing this)
                                port matched head. will be converting the exhaust ports to round instead of oval
                                heavy duty rocker arms + rocker locks
                                standard valve springs(have some ISKYs to put in, as i put in old valve guides which didnt work with the double springs from IE)
                                stainless valves(looking at upsizing)
                                bottom end is balanced
                                IJ crank scraper/baffle
                                jbracing flywheel(sitting in a box) + xtreme(aussie brand) clutch
                                was running megajolt + ford edis ignition
                                probably other stuff i cant remember

would love 200hp, but ill take what i can get
                                i tend to use parts from whatever i can make work, you dont wanna know how many different manufacturers ive stolen parts from

i went with slides partly for the full flow, but honestly, its for looks and sound. i have a set of dcoe itb's sitting in a box that i was going to use.

slides are old tech, prone to sticking and causing fires, need to be cleaned and maintained. but they were used with older less tunable injection, so i want to try and modernise it a bit, using sequential injection, meaning less excess fuel being thrown around

the extra airflow isnt really worth the gain compared to the ease of use of a standard butterfly, but i want slides!

yes going for rpm, may run longer trumpets, but these were cheap

i might be able to bring the headers out a bit at the head, once i drop the engine back in the bay ill check clearances and add some straight tube if possible

i stole the primary tube lengths based off another guy with a similar spec engine to mine, but i want to crank up engine analyser and have another play at some point. im not going for getting every drip of power out of the engine, im just building shit coz i can really, with a little bit of forethought

will be running standalone ecu, havent decided which one yet. plan is sequential ignition and injection(youll actually spy a cam sensor on the timing cover in the last pic), TPS, o2, temp and pressure sensors. not sure i want to mess around with knock, having read some info its rather dependant on resonant frequencies to detect knock properly(not false trigger) and can get expensive.

not bothering with flex fuel, closest e85 bowser is 100+km away and i plan running a small tank(either half e21 tank or fuel cell) so ill stick with 98

im not building this for competition/racing/secret squirrel stuff, so happy to share and happy to take ideas and info aswell

i really need to fix my broken pictures from the rest of the thread!!

Comment

Working...
                                X