No announcement yet.

The Oil Pan Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hey thanks guys, i used 1/8 inch mild steel. To lift the motor i just used some big washers i had laying around my garage. been running with the engine raised for about a year without any problems
    -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
    -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
    MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
    Got Drop??

Comment

• awesome What sorta gap do you have between the sump and the skid plate? I've heard of people's sump hitting the skid plate and cracking

Comment

• best pic i got before i put her on the ground. i have hit quite a few times and have had no problems with the plate bending. may re-enforce with V's down the bottom when i have any spare time
        -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
        -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
        MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
        Got Drop??

Comment

• Thats awesome! Thanks for the help man appreciate it You may have just saved an innocent bmw sump

Comment

• Stupid m20's haha, try driving low with an m42 THEN you'll be thankful for a skid plate. Looks nice though.

E30 V8 Build thread

Go here be happy!

Instagram: stuartrussell

Store: alwaysindividual.bigcartel.com

Comment

• I had a friend that told me you can cut the oil pan on the E30 , and reeweld it after WIll make it smaller so no probleme for lowering Think is the same thing they do on the E30 rally cars that are really low

The bad thing is you will work with 1 to 2 liters of oil and need to keep an eye on the oil every once in a will

"Jesse: There's just something about engines that calms me down." -

Comment

• heres mine just happend to me last weekend.....my air ride stopped working and had to drive it really low in jersey area smh and smacked my oil pan

Dope Ass Euros
                instagram: warn_cam
                chip foose
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9bKT...&feature=share

Comment

• Drive low all the time, and you'll know how to avoid bumps

That is a gnarly break though.

E30 V8 Build thread

Go here be happy!

Comment

• Originally posted by FunfGang View Post
                    Stupid m20's haha, try driving low with an m42 THEN you'll be thankful for a skid plate. Looks nice though.
                    Waaay back when my car was still an m42. Drove it at this height for a year, never broke a pan.

Comment

• ^ thats how mine is right now.
                      been driving it for the past 6 months like that and nothing
                      Last edited by Ludey849; 11-23-2011, 02:36 PM.
                      Golf 6 - OEM PLUS

Comment

• That is skill Byron, thats where my pan is now and without a plate id never survive haha.

E30 V8 Build thread

Go here be happy!

Comment

• Lol I think it was more luck than skill. When I eventually pulled the engine out the whole bottom of the pan was scraped flat

Comment

• Yeah I'd say my M40 sumps is at about that height, anyone have any steering rack bashing issues? Mine seems to be leaking from somewhere but not sure because its all covered in various fluids from cracked sump etc..

Comment

• I killed my old 95 m3 rack by scraping through it.

I had the spacers on top though so it cleared the m60 pan. I cut and raised the pan now so I could run the spacers on the bottom with the new e46 rack and that got it fairly out of the way.

Comment

• Ouch. Be nice if we could lower our E30's without the cars destroying themselves

Comment

Working...
                                X