Clear powder coat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear powder coat

Does anybody have experience with this? My polished BBS lips are oxidizing so I figured I would get the re polished then have a clear coat over them.

If that won't work out, about how much will it cost to get them chromed? They're 17x2" and 17x1.5" 34-hole lips.

Silk Blue MK6 Jetta build
    Instagram: @justmarshallgiles

Great thought process on wanting them clear coated afterward. We are attempting figure out what is the best way to approach our wheels.. Our first thought was going to leave them matte black, then have the ceramic coated.. then I thought about painting them myself and again ceramic coated.

What we're going to do, is forgo the ceramic coating and have the wheels powder coated instead.. I did ask the powder coater what would happen if we powder coated the wheels then ceramic coated them.. they said this would be a bit over kill. Now I've never heard of a "clear" powder coating.. But I'm sure these people could tell you more:

Custom coatings and performance upgrades. Specializing in powder coating, ceramic coating and high performance ceramic coatings, abrasive media blasting, thermal barrier coatings, heat dissipation coatings and dry film lubrication coatings.

Just tell the "Lost In Transit" sent you and we look forward to having Bonehead powder coat our wheels.

One learns something new each and everyday.. First Image on Boneheads color chart:

Source: http://boneheadperformance.com/color-charts/
    Last edited by ToasterVan; 06-25-2015, 03:26 AM.

Comment

first off you'd never want to ceramic coat a wheel, that makes zero sense. it's not very durable and the finish is crap. i clear almost every wheel i powdercoat (it's a clear powdercoat not paint) and it makes the color pop and also adds another layer of protection. i have not cleared a polished wheel but i have seen it. it does bring the shine down a bit but there is a new clear out that i plan to test on a set, i'll post pics after it's done.

Comment

I just want to know if it's feasible and if the majority of wheels end up with a yellowish tint. I've heard that baking at a higher temp can yellow the clear, but is this general knowledge in powdercoating? Or will some shops fire it up like normal and ruin the look I want.

Any answers to chrome?

Silk Blue MK6 Jetta build
        Instagram: @justmarshallgiles

Comment

Chrome is not cheap when done properly. And if it is not done properly, it will peel and flake off.
          You are looking at something like $120 per lip, of not more.

OZ, MSW, ABT, Carlsson, etc 10 point bolt tools info

Comment

the baking temp is not a problem for clear, more so the wheel. meaning you gotta be careful to not let a shop ruin your wheels. i can honestly say i've never seen clear powdercoat turn yellow and i've been doing this for over 13 years. if your looking for a very high shine (like a freshly polished lip) clear powder will not let you achieve this. ive seen some serious polish work come in and get cleared, it still looks good but it does dull it. as far as chrome goes i'm looking into the spray chrome, it's costly but easy to repair and will blind you if done right. i'm about to do a set of style 19's with chrome lips and copper centers. once done i'll post pics

Comment

Working...
            X