Anybody ever run Schrader valves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody ever run Schrader valves?

So i was browsing and i saw you could do a full bag setup with schrader valves, and i guess its a lot cheaper? I understancd you raise it and lower it manually, but i'd like to hear from somebody thats had a setup with them. I have about 1000 to spend and it would be for a 2003 volvo s60 AWD. any help, comments, criticism would be great! Thanks!
    Here's to the automotive culture.

This is only semi-related, but my old truck had airbags in the rear with Schrader valves to fill, though the purpose was leveling with a heavy load, rather than lowering.

The problem with this system is that the amount of air inside the bags is fixed, which means as the temperature changes, your load changes, etc. the actual suspension height fluctuates, without any good way to make adjustments. Not super rad. Also, without a compressor onboard, you're boned if you need to raise the ride height for any reason (like a leak or a second/third/fourth passenger).

If you do add a compressor onboard to fill the bags, you're 90% of the way to a manual valve setup, using something like these: http://bagriders.com/modlab/products...VALVE-KIT.html

I messed with the air in the bags on my truck about once a month, whenever I had a heavy load to carry, and the rest of the time I had the valve cores out to render the bags neutral. Even just messing with them once a month was fucking obnoxious, and I couldn't imagine having to do it on a daily.

S60s are coilover on all four corners, IIRC, and you're going to have an EXTREMELY hard time putting that car on air for $1000. You're going to need custom air struts, which are $$$ - starting with something like Air Lift universals is already ~$750 a pair. Even Aero Power Sport bags, where you'd have to design and build the strut brackets yourself, are $210 a piece without any bracketry or bearings. The other thing to consider, here, is that the big parts are pricey, but it's the little shit that nickels and dimes you to death. Hardware, fittings, all that crap adds up really fast.

For comparison's sake, I've got $2500 in the air ride setup so far on my W124, and though I've got an expensive management system on mine (eLevel), my bag setup is way simpler and cheaper than what you're going to have to come up with.

Comment

Originally posted by Oh Damn, it's Sam View Post
      This is only semi-related, but my old truck had airbags in the rear with Schrader valves to fill, though the purpose was leveling with a heavy load, rather than lowering.

The problem with this system is that the amount of air inside the bags is fixed, which means as the temperature changes, your load changes, etc. the actual suspension height fluctuates, without any good way to make adjustments. Not super rad. Also, without a compressor onboard, you're boned if you need to raise the ride height for any reason (like a leak or a second/third/fourth passenger).

If you do add a compressor onboard to fill the bags, you're 90% of the way to a manual valve setup, using something like these: http://bagriders.com/modlab/products...VALVE-KIT.html

I messed with the air in the bags on my truck about once a month, whenever I had a heavy load to carry, and the rest of the time I had the valve cores out to render the bags neutral. Even just messing with them once a month was fucking obnoxious, and I couldn't imagine having to do it on a daily.

S60s are coilover on all four corners, IIRC, and you're going to have an EXTREMELY hard time putting that car on air for $1000. You're going to need custom air struts, which are $$$ - starting with something like Air Lift universals is already ~$750 a pair. Even Aero Power Sport bags, where you'd have to design and build the strut brackets yourself, are $210 a piece without any bracketry or bearings. The other thing to consider, here, is that the big parts are pricey, but it's the little shit that nickels and dimes you to death. Hardware, fittings, all that crap adds up really fast.

For comparison's sake, I've got $2500 in the air ride setup so far on my W124, and though I've got an expensive management system on mine (eLevel), my bag setup is way simpler and cheaper than what you're going to have to come up with.
      so what do you recommend for the cheapest setup and about how much would that set me back? I'm completely clueless as to bags 'cause I've never looked into them until now
      Here's to the automotive culture.

Comment

Bag setups consist of two component groups: the bags themselves, and the management system. I'm not aware of any off-the-shelf bag setup for an S60, so you're talking about custom work there. Obviously that's not cheap, and it's going to be a matter of how much fab work you're comfortable taking on vs. how much you have to pay for.

As for management, Bag Riders has good deals on management packages, which come with valves, a tank, a compressor, air lines, and lots of fittings and little crap that you need. Their manual valve setup is the bare minimum I'd run. Since you live somewhere cold, you'll also want a water trap to keeep your valves from freezing in the winter.

I got most of my gear from Bag Riders, and they gave me excellent customer service. I'd consider talking to them about what you're planning. Be warned, however, that air ride is expensive, and doubly so on platforms like yours (and mine) where no off-the-shelf kits exist.

Comment

Slammedsedan did you ever make that set up ? I building one now for a 02 v70

Comment

good, I'd consider talking to them about what you're planning. Be warned, however, that air ride is expensive, and doubly so on platforms like yours (and mine) where no off-the-shelf kits exist.

Comment

Working...
            X