Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EXPERIMENT: BBS E88 Centerlock to 5X120!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EXPERIMENT: BBS E88 Centerlock to 5X120!

Alright people, I'm crazy or stupid.. so what..

So there are a shit load of BBS E88 Daytona Centerlock wheels floating around the states for sale for varying prices $400 - $2000 and beyond..

The BBS E88 is my favorite wheel, and as I continue to build my 1 series into a cup car style street car/track car when I can afford track time.
    So I did some sweet talking and I got a set of four front BBS E88 Daytonas in 18x12.5 centerlock for cheap and will R&D the best I can to drill a PCD.

So far what I know:
    12 stud hole on rear
    centerbore is very close to 72.5
    clears my BBK (lol)
    Aluminum faces

My plan is to have the stud holes filled while the face is on a custom jig to keep from heat warping (maybe thatll work?)
    then to machine a 5x120 PCD and surface the back pad..

I will update this thread as I go and possibly destroy some cool wheels, risk my life, and spend my money

Currently my set is en route to me from Florida

Full disclosure I wont be tracking this car with these if it does work, unless I can perform proper stress tests? Who knows..

Enjoy

PM'd you some info.

Comment

Originally posted by KyleAnderson View Post
      PM'd you some info.
      Could you PM me that info as well?

Comment

GOD DAMN YOU!!!! You bought those wheels from ebay??????????????????????????

I have been sick since I messaged that seller waiting for a response before buying, then the wheels sold. Congrats on that buy if that was you.

Comment

Originally posted by bmw m3 s50 View Post
          GOD DAMN YOU!!!! You bought those wheels from ebay??????????????????????????

I have been sick since I messaged that seller waiting for a response before buying, then the wheels sold. Congrats on that buy if that was you.
          How much were they going for?
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/imag...es/cruisin.gif

Comment

In my experience (first hand) - impossible to machine a 5 bolt pattern without extensive filling/welding. May still not be possible.

OZ, MSW, ABT, Carlsson, etc 10 point bolt tools info

Comment

Originally posted by zoo View Post
              In my experience (first hand) - impossible to machine a 5 bolt pattern without extensive filling/welding. May still not be possible.
              You say first hand experience; can you elaborate?

I have three sets of these centers and am looking into the possibilities. I did a rough 3D model before I had wheels in hand and I think it can work by shaving off most of the backpad and using inserts above where the drive pin holes stop. Over the next few days I'm going to build an accurate model of the center and get a better idea if it will work.

Comment

Now that I have the centers in hand, a 5x120 pattern definitely won't work.

The backpad measures 140mm in diameter, but it flares out 5mm per side. This means the usable diameter is only 130mm. The lug holes of a 120mm PCD would break through the narrow section of the back pad.

The pattern on them now is 12x108 with 16mm drive pins. Drive pin depth is 45mm plus 60 degree drill taper. The largest PCD you could safely fit is 110mm. As for even drilling a lug pattern in them, I'm confident shaving most of the back pad down and drilling over the existing drive pin holes will work. There's enough thickness between the bottom of the drive pin holes and the front face to do it without welding or inserts. Of course, this method does cut the brake clearance down to about 30mm. The center bore on these is also back-milled, but it looks like you could get in a 82mm straight bore, which would then be common for hub rings.

Comment

Basically what you encountered. 6x110 or 4x110 is easiest to machine.

Comment

I could easily get a 5x108 pattern in these, and would do it if I knew there a market for it.

Comment

Originally posted by KyleAnderson View Post
                      I could easily get a 5x108 pattern in these, and would do it if I knew there a market for it.
                      Ferrari? 360/430

Comment

Originally posted by zoo View Post
                        Ferrari? 360/430
                        The problem there is that I would assume owners of cars in that price range would just purchase a new set, or at least ones that are originally 5x108. It's more of the Focus ST type I had in mind, but so far I've yet to see those groups put up for real wheels. Volvo enthusiasts have been slightly better, but not much.

Comment

Yup, they might be turned off by the fill/drill.

Comment

Working...
                          X