Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I the only person dealing with this??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I the only person dealing with this??

So I know that this question isn't entirely on the path of immense knowledge lol but I had to ask this question... I apologize if this gives anybody a pantie bunch but I didn't know where else to go.

I'm trying to decipher the numbers and letters on the sidewall on the tires of my truck-to see how less or more I can go- and the numbers aren't like the usual read of say perhaps:

225/40/18

Instead, the numbers read on the sidewall as such;

27/8.50/R14

And what my problem is is that I can't really compare those numbers to anything aftermarket to see what exactly I want to install..simply because the digits don't match in length of digits concerning correct meaaurement... what do I do? or am I reading everything wrong? thanks yet again.. keep stancing

Those tires are 27" in diameter (27" tall), 8.5" wide, and fit on a 14" diameter rim.

Comment

Originally posted by lamsv View Post
      Those tires are 27" in diameter (27" tall), 8.5" wide, and fit on a 14" diameter rim.
      well, if I had known it was a simple as that then I wouldn't have bothered, lol thanks, i guess it's just up to me to see what I can throw on there lol

Comment

Hmm never seen a tire like that. So w 8.5 and 27 overall, 245/70/14 tires?

Comment

Truck tires are often measured like that, though it's more common with larger sizes. 27/8.5/14s would be approximately 215/80/14s, if such a thing were to exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Oh Damn, it's Sam View Post
            Truck tires are often measured like that, though it's more common with larger sizes. 27/8.5/14s would be approximately 215/80/14s, if such a thing were to exist.
            ohhh how did you come up with the 215/80/14s from my numbers tho? like i'm terrible at math and i just want to make this ranger slammed is all... do you see my problem?
            Last edited by AKToyotaluv; 12-08-2014, 11:56 AM. Reason: messed up again

Comment

The width is easy to figure out: 8.5 in = 215.9 mm. Since 216-series tires don't exist, I rounded to 215 above.

Diameter is a little trickier. Car tire measurements are calculated by the following equation:

Tire Diameter = Wheel Diameter + Aspect Ratio / 50 * Width

So, filling in what we know:

27 = 14 + Aspect Ratio / 50 * 8.5

And a little elementary algebra:

13 = Aspect Ratio / 50 * 8.5

13 = 0.17 * Aspect Ratio

Aspect Ratio = 76.5

For maximum accuracy, you might call those tires 215.9/76.5R14.

Round that either direction depending on whether you want to err on the small side or the large side.

Comment

The width is easy to figure out: 8.5 in = 215.9 mm. Since 216-series tires don't exist, I rounded to 215 above.

Diameter is a little trickier. Car tire measurements are calculated by the following equation:

Tire Diameter = Wheel Diameter + Aspect Ratio / 50 * Width

So, filling in what we know:

27 = 14 + Aspect Ratio / 50 * 8.5

And a little elementary algebra:

13 = Aspect Ratio / 50 * 8.5

13 = 0.17 * Aspect Ratio

Aspect Ratio = 76.5

For maximum accuracy, you might call those tires 215.9/76.5R14.

Round that either direction depending on whether you want to err on the small side or the large side.
                allrighty, imma have to almost study this.. although you laid it out simple.
                thank you man, I'm glad you like spending time on SW enough to help a brother out.

damn sam's smart
                Last edited by AKToyotaluv; 12-08-2014, 12:22 PM. Reason: ehh

Comment

My pleasure. Though, you know the size you've got now, so it should just be a matter of comparing sizes in standard car measurements.

Comment

so in comparing tire sizes to say gauge earring, since my tires are 215.9/76.5/R14 technically speaking, then smaller width/profile would be a bigger number correct?
                    Last edited by AKToyotaluv; 12-08-2014, 12:30 PM. Reason: ehhhh

Comment

Nope, other way around.

In both measurement systems, the width of the tire is stamped right on it. Truck tires have the width in inches, car tires in millimeters. That's the first number in the tire measurement: the width.

Aspect ratio / profile is measured as a percentage of width. So a 205/40 like I run on my car has a profile of 205mm * 0.40 = 82mm . Larger aspect ratios (205/50 and so forth) will be a taller tire, and the opposite for smaller aspect ratios.

Comment

ahhhh okay, now I'm wrapping my brain around the phone pole. okay cool, thanks yet again. now, do we have a used tire/wheel sale place on SW? lolol
                        Last edited by AKToyotaluv; 12-08-2014, 12:40 PM. Reason: wanted to add something else.

Comment

Classifieds. Bottom of the page.

Comment

Classifieds. Bottom of the page.
                            hellla damn you're helpful, have a good day brah.

Comment

Working...
                            X