Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning up chromed wheel bolts

Guys,

just a quick question... it seems the RHs I'm building currently came with a mismatched set of bolts, some were stainless steel and others were just chrome plated steel. However, someone painted them once when they were mounted to the wheels. I had just anticipated stainless bolts which I could polish... so this throws a wrench into my plans. Also, the second set of RH wheels I have sitting around seems to have only chrome plated steel bolts.

Since there are quite a bit more chrome steel bolts than stainless ones, I'd like to re-use these and replace with the stainless ones with new matching chrome plated ones.

Can I just scrape off the paint with a wire wheel? Will this hurt the chrome or is this fine to do? Would chemically stripping them of the paint hurt the chrome?

'87 Porsche 944 S | Ex-E36 Touring (2009 - 2016) | Daily: '02 Chrysler Sebring

www.bastienbochmann.de | Tief & Breit

Wire wheel will scratch the chrome. Use some sort of stripper, chrome should stand up fine to it. Do test on a single bolt first.

OZ, MSW, ABT, Carlsson, etc 10 point bolt tools info

Comment

Working...
    X