This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo E28 M42 swap

Hello all, I'm not too active here, more so on mye28.com under the username EventuallyAyrton. I've been toying around recently with the idea of swapping out my M30B32 (Yes, I have a 533) and replacing it with an M42 built to the S42 race engine spec except with 9/10:1 compression instead of 12:1 because that's absolutely insane. After building it up with lower compression, I would introduce some danger to the manifold. That's right. Turbo powahhhh. I basically have 3 options that I'm messing around with and right now, that one seems to be my favorite but some advice and opinions would be great!

1: M42/S42 turbo
    2: N/A M30B35, built for sure but I'm not sure how much yet
    3: Keep wrenching on the B32

Keep in mind that this is my daily driver so I can't have some 13,000 RPM race engine that makes all of it's power between 12,000 and 12,500 rpm. (That's one issue that I would encounter with the S42 turbo build, although, not quite as dramatic as my example) This is all hypothetical right now, but I hope to start gathering parts for this through the next 2/4 years (going off to an automotive college) and assembling and getting ready for the swap while I'm in school.

Thanks for the help in advance!

(Sorry if this isn't the right place for this thread, it's just a random idea I've been thinking about and didn't want to clog up a real board without legit questions)

Build a B35, it may not be as powerful as a turbo M42, but it will be more durable.
    Ol Dirty Bastard - RIP

Photo by Alex Dooley
    2016 Ducati Scrambler, 2015 Subaru Impreza

Comment

But the M42/s42 turbo swap into an e28 will be quite unique. It'll also get better mileage than a 6. Argh there are so many advantages and disadvantages to both

Comment

And I would imagine it'd offer significantly less torque than a built B35. Honestly, if you're going to go the modern BMW engine swap route, why not an S50/52?
        Ol Dirty Bastard - RIP

Photo by Alex Dooley
        2016 Ducati Scrambler, 2015 Subaru Impreza

Comment

Originally posted by theseeker411 View Post
          And I would imagine it'd offer significantly less torque than a built B35. Honestly, if you're going to go the modern BMW engine swap route, why not an S50/52?
          s50/52 swap wouldnt be all too bad, there is some information out there about it and would be similar to an e30. also classicdaily.net sells prefabbed mounts for the e28 chassis.

just dont waste your time doing an m50/52 because the m30 is already better than that hahah
          aaron by Jeremy King, on Flickr

Comment

isnt there one of the m4x line that already has forged pistons n stuf?

btw, i love turbo's

Comment

Working...
            X