Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice from people with cages?

Hey guys,

So I was planning on gutting my e28 and putting a cage in the back, well a 4-point roll bar that would stay in the back seat.

I was wondering if you can pass inspection with a stripped car, no amenities except defrost, no carpet, no glovebox, no rear seat. My car wasn't made with airbags so I don't have those either. To my understanding, you can do pretty much whatever you want as long as it doesn't interfere with safety devices like lights, airbags, horn, etc.

Also, I know this all depends on the place but would you're insurance rate climb for being gutted? My insurer knows this is a weekend toy / show piece that I'm building but I don't know if he'll hike the rate up due to a cage / stripped interior?

People with rollcages, do you pass at any station or do you have to get yours lick and sticked, how's insurance on it?
    I want to build a fun car that I can just take out and have a lot of fun in, but would like to keep it street-able, any suggestions.

I read the DMV code and see nothing about not having amenities or carpet, also nothing about running rollbars in a 4 door sedan, any help is appreciated!

for reference: I'm 20, clean driving record, college graduate, full time job, high honor roll, own a second car, located in SW Pennsylvania.

+++ If you're an inspector and can speak from personal experience.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.
    Originally posted by projectmaxspeed
    well i want to be different i could go for some vette saw blades

That destructo-ray is a played out gag, in the cape
    and the pants suit lookin' like a straight out...Dag.

I don't know about having a cage in your car but be careful, and it's highly advised that you wear a helmet at all times in the car. I had a friend who had a caged Miata get killed because he got hit by another car, his head whipped and hit the cage and it cracked his skull open. They say he would have been fine if the cage wasn't there, or if he was wearing a helmet.

You don't have any airbags so you shouldn't have to worry too much. But the best thing is to talk to your insurance agent. I took out and changed a lot of things in my old Volvo and it didn't change my insurance any, even when I took seats out or changed the steering wheel.
    2009 Volkswagen Rabbit 2.5L "Snowbunny"
    1987 Volvo 244DL M47 "Turd Ferguson"
    1974 Volkswagen SuperBeetle 1303 "Diego"

Comment

Originally posted by thebornotaku View Post
      I don't know about having a cage in your car but be careful, and it's highly advised that you wear a helmet at all times in the car. I had a friend who had a caged Miata get killed because he got hit by another car, his head whipped and hit the cage and it cracked his skull open. They say he would have been fine if the cage wasn't there, or if he was wearing a helmet.

You don't have any airbags so you shouldn't have to worry too much. But the best thing is to talk to your insurance agent. I took out and changed a lot of things in my old Volvo and it didn't change my insurance any, even when I took seats out or changed the steering wheel.
      I probably should have clarified, I'm not looking for a 'cage' but more or less a roll bar. A main hoop, cross bar, and possibly a diagonal that would stay in the backseat of my 4door E28, since my seat is removed. I don't want any pieces to extend up to the side of my seat, head, above my head, windshield or dash. It's going to strictly be back seat, and also an X formation in the trunk. Not saying that my head still wouldn't hit it in an accident, but there is a lot less of a chance of me being thrown from my front seat straight into my back seat.

I've done all the measuring and if I build it the way I want it, the cage is exactly 20 inches away from any of my headrests.

I'm just wondering if anyone has been insured with one, statefarm seems less than pleased with my decision. They haven't said no, they just have been going dark anytime I try to get the insurance.
      Originally posted by projectmaxspeed
      well i want to be different i could go for some vette saw blades

That destructo-ray is a played out gag, in the cape
      and the pants suit lookin' like a straight out...Dag.

Comment

Working...
      X