W201 lows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W201 lows

okay so, I am in the market for lows. I kind of want to go bags just to be able to control my lows a little bit, however I'd be totally content if I could go low enough without.

I've been fishing around for brackets for bags/bags and etc, and noticed a whole heap of positives and negatives to getting them, and to be brutally honest my knowledge of bags is limited. If you were driving on extremely sub par roads every day, would you remain static? Has anyone found any issues going air in terms of reliability? How bullshit are the conditions of your roads?

I understand that it's in my best interest to go a set of Bilstein B8s or similar regardless, has anyone got any pictures of a W201 w/ just shortened shocks and a short spring? Do people think chopping a few extra coils are a necessity for bulk lows on them? Any other info you may have would be infinitely appreciated
    '87 Benz 190E

BUILD THREAD

Front: E36 coilover front shocks and 3.5~ coils from original springs cut.
    Rear: Original shocks, 2.5~ coils cut.

17x8 ET20ish, 17x10 ET20ish are the specs. Pictures of how it sits http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=68651

Either way. E36 coilover shocks in the front and original springs cut and it drives great imo. In the rear, I'd go with Saab 900 struts, they're pretty much 1:1 fit and are shorter than original ones. But peoiple have gone with Bilstein's and cut springs and it drives equally fine I'm guessing.

Building a W124 Benz

Comment

Check this out, http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=75817
      I do have coilovers on it. Yellow Speed Racing Coilovers.
      Youtube
      Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Jorgen View Post
        Front: E36 coilover front shocks and 3.5~ coils from original springs cut.
        Rear: Original shocks, 2.5~ coils cut.

17x8 ET20ish, 17x10 ET20ish are the specs. Pictures of how it sits http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=68651

Either way. E36 coilover shocks in the front and original springs cut and it drives great imo. In the rear, I'd go with Saab 900 struts, they're pretty much 1:1 fit and are shorter than original ones. But peoiple have gone with Bilstein's and cut springs and it drives equally fine I'm guessing.
        I was reading this build just the other day man that green is fucking awesome! I've never seen a green 180 in Australia I assume they didn't sell well here or they've bored people to an early death through how slow they are
        I've read heaps about the saab 900 struts, however again SAAB is quite hard to find here, it makes me think whether I could get a SAAB shortened shock and work from there. hmmmm

If I read correctly the E36 coilover strut requires some modding or something along those lines to fit it in right? massaging the strut towers or something?

Originally posted by Forceinducted View Post
        Check this out, http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=75817
        I do have coilovers on it. Yellow Speed Racing Coilovers.
        I love this thing! so clean! The problem I have with YSR coilovers is the cost initially, Australia's dollar sucks ass at the moment (almost always)... by the time I got them here they'd cost me about $3k or thereabouts which is well over double what I'd pay to get bilsteins and short springs, Amazon US doesn't even send to Aus and the dollar is super weak against GBP - wish I could go coilovers but I don't bathe in money haha!
        '87 Benz 190E

BUILD THREAD

Comment

The only thing is the centre knuckle, nothing major. Just some massaging yes, just drill the hole a bit bigger if you want to do it faster and it's all set. If you can't find Saab struts, I'd go with Bilsteins in the rear, they will definitely hold up great as well.

Building a W124 Benz

Comment

The only thing is the centre knuckle, nothing major. Just some massaging yes, just drill the hole a bit bigger if you want to do it faster and it's all set. If you can't find Saab struts, I'd go with Bilsteins in the rear, they will definitely hold up great as well.
            sounds dangerous, my kinda thing! Thanks for the help buddy I appreciate it!
            '87 Benz 190E

BUILD THREAD

Comment

Nothing dangerous actually, the 2 side bolts align perfectly, just the centre knuckle needs some minor fabrication, but the bolt will tighten it, so it won't be dangerous as all. However the only problem I had with E36 struts in front was that the upper mount needed 2-3 washers between the mount for the nut to tighten properly.

Building a W124 Benz

Comment

ahh that's not what I was thinking at all that sounds quite manageable, you don't get much knocking with the coilovers sitting on a washer or you just tightened the hell out of it?
                '87 Benz 190E

BUILD THREAD

Comment

Originally posted by Respect Till Death View Post
                  I love this thing! so clean! The problem I have with YSR coilovers is the cost initially, Australia's dollar sucks ass at the moment (almost always)... by the time I got them here they'd cost me about $3k or thereabouts which is well over double what I'd pay to get bilsteins and short springs, Amazon US doesn't even send to Aus and the dollar is super weak against GBP - wish I could go coilovers but I don't bathe in money haha!
                  Have you checked on them the manufacturer? When I ordered mine, my first thought is to email the manufacturer which is in Taiwan, I asked them if they can ship it here in the States, they emailed me back with their dealer info here in the States, what a relief, just in Indiana which is just 2hrs away from me. Good thing when I gave the dealer a call they have YSR coming in the next day so I pre pay it and got it next day.
                  Youtube
                  Instagram

Comment

ahh that's not what I was thinking at all that sounds quite manageable, you don't get much knocking with the coilovers sitting on a washer or you just tightened the hell out of it?
                    Here's a picture of the problem:

And the solution:

Haven't had any problems after 8000km+

Building a W124 Benz

Comment

Here's a picture of the problem:

Haven't had any problems after 8000km+
                      you are a gentleman and a scholar! ebay'd a pair of 36 coilovers to see what the situation is, wish me luck
                      '87 Benz 190E

BUILD THREAD

Comment

No worries, I myself sourced a lot of information from S/W about lowering a W201 and there's still not enough information out there IMO. That's why I document all that, easier for others. If you have any questions, feel free to message me.

Building a W124 Benz

Comment

No worries, I myself sourced a lot of information from S/W about lowering a W201 and there's still not enough information out there IMO. That's why I document all that, easier for others. If you have any questions, feel free to message me.
                          yeah I found this as well, I'm gonna have fun when it gets to the grille shaving part I've seen like 2 pictures and that's it haha!

I appreciate it heaps bud
                          '87 Benz 190E

BUILD THREAD

Comment

are you able to tell me whether R129 front strut mounts fit in the front of a W201 like they do a W124? They seem to give pretty favourable results (Febi / Bilstein) in going lower
                            '87 Benz 190E

BUILD THREAD

Comment

I understand that it's in my best interest to go a set of Bilstein B8s or similar regardless, has anyone got any pictures of a W201 w/ just shortened shocks and a short spring? Do people think chopping a few extra coils are a necessity for bulk lows on them? Any other info you may have would be infinitely appreciated
                              I used to think Bilsteins were waaay too overpriced until I bought a set for the W201. I put those on with Eibachs and the handling is now amazing. The little Benz corners flat, very quick on its feet (you need that with the 2.3 haha)! The ride is not as plush as it used to be, but it's still very comfortable. I wanted to try the E36 coils thing before, but then I remembered the rough, bumpy ride of Rokkors in my buddy's Mk4 as well as the bone-shattering ride of the Racelands in my own mk2 and told myself that this time around I'd do it right.
                              Mint green Mk2 build
                              Daily 190E build

Comment

Working...
                              X