Bagged bunny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bagged bunny

Hey all, though i'd start a thread on stanceworks on my new build, hoping that i can get international help with some issues i may not be able to resolve on my or on my own vw forum. Anyway some of you may recognise my other thread, and remember my car

Seeing as this car was built on a budget and was just put together with a small budget that i had, it always kept falling apart on me :P So im starting to sell of the wheels, coilovers and other bits to fund my new project.

I bought this golf a couple of months ago with the mentallity of a full restoration. Now dont get me wrong, im no proffesional or expert, and neither do i work on the automotive industry, im just a 19 year old that goes to school and works a part time job. So everything im doing here, is from past experience on the orange golf, and also through the willingness to learn. Something may be done shitty, but sometimes as long as they do the job, id be happy. - Now the plan is to have this thing as my daily, but have some plans to make it stand out like dogs balls, which i wont reveal yet hahaha. Time will show :P

Ok enough talking shit hahaa. It was an apsolute mission to get the car home, we had a huge trailer, it was raining hard on the day, the guy lived 60kms away, and he lived in the mountain ranges of Victoria -.- Left the car untouched for a while, then i finally got the motivation. So here we go ;

This is the car, and how i got it.

2.0L engine and fuel injection from a golf mk3 GTI i beleive, with 5 speed gear box, sway bars, and a half cage.

As you can see the floor pan was completely shagged

So i started stripping everything, and i mean EVERYTHING. Called a mate and he brought over a engine crane to the rescue.

Heres the two together a couple of months back

So this is what i had to work with. I knew that i would have to cut the rust out, and well new sheets of metal in. Cutting? Yeah cool i could do that, but fuck, i've never welded before LOL. So i saved up and bought a small mig gas welder, which was cheap and perfect for waht i needed.

Ok, so let me get people up to speed on my plans. Yes, the golf is fuel injection, and thought would be awesome in such an old car, as well as effiecient. However the ECU and management system this car used is old, outdated and unreliable. So i thought, ill go to carby, and ill do a complete engine bay shave, as well as wire tuck !!
    So i started stripping things off, battery tray was out, all the wire tabs were removed, holes were welded and plugged, and so forth.

Rust cut out

This is the tiny space i have to work in lol (and yes thats a engine in a trolley - dont ask LOL)

This is all the cancer, and probs heaps more i havnt taken pics of yet

Ok so i hired gas and these were the results. Firstly, criticism is always welcome, as it helps to improve, but this time i dont care haha. Its ugly, but its strong, and thats all that matters. There will be carpet over it, so i didnt want to spend hours and hours for perfect welds. Like i said, i have never welded, so this was my very first time.

This is the donar piece for the other side, as well as cut out donar bits i have cut already

Welded

Thats all i can be bothered with right now haha, i'll upload some more later on today

hosier lane!

Comment

mmmm....swallowtail!

Comment

wow great so far! good luck man!
        Originally posted by Jesus Christ
        the VW community is weird. dont try to understand, its like understanding africa.
        Instagram: bigslowchevy

Comment

love this already. cant wait to see what you do with it!
          IG: @uncle_rickey
          c126 coupe

Comment

Originally posted by D&W View Post
            hosier lane!
            Hahahaha yeah dude, how'd you know?

And thanks guys. Well its not going to happen overnight as i work very little due to school, but it will happen at a good pace. I've got some sick ideas for it.

Comment

Ok, so i had a feed and a nap and its time to post up to where i am currently.

This is just a few pics over the last few weeks of me working on the golf. I've been really motivated in the last month and have acheived heaps (i think so anyway). Its really hard to mix in a restoration, school, social life, and work at my age, as theres no much things i want to do, rather than stay home and work on the golf haha.

And heres my awwweesome welding mask :P :P (and yes i know, the gloves, the long sleeve top etc etcc it was just done for a quick pic )

So anyway, i welded all the holes up on the radiator support, and made it look clean. Ill get more in depth with that when i have the time to

Also stripped out the whole car. Petrol tank out, suspension out, windows out, everything is out. Car is just a bare shell. In the pic below, i will flip the car on its side this weekend, clean everything, and paint it all in bitumen. I love that stuff and think it works great.

On monday i started grinding down all the metal and painting it in a Rust preventative primer. I just hope it fucking works, and i never see rust agian !!!!!!!!

I have then used an angle grinder with a flappy disc, and a drill with wire brush to get rid of remaining rust and paint. This took me from 11am yesterday, to 10pm lastnight, including painting. That was honestly the most exhausting thing i've ever done.

I also managed to pick up a new fuse box over the weekend, as mk1 fusebox's are notoriously shitty haha. So i got on off a cabby, and i just have to re-wire it to work with my loom.

So thats where im at currently. I have a few more rust issues to do this weekend, and i have to shave the engine bay, then its ready for paint. Ill leave you with a picture of the fusebox, and just a small teaser for now :P

Comment

Great progress! Props for keeping Swallowtails alive!

Originally posted by Longboarding_G
                you sir, win this battle.
                “Producing something of quality is obsessing over details nobody sees.”

Comment

very nice job

Comment

You should reorganize the pics so the description matches. Props for going all out even without having the background for it.

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

Comment

word to the mki, great project

subbed

Comment

props for all the work u put in it
                        Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

Cheers fellas, haha yeah im basically learning as i go !

Comment

Good luck!

You have a long path in front of you, but you have the stance with you... :P
                            '09 VW Golf MK6 2.0 TDI DSG
                            R lookalike

Comment

So lately its been raining and i've been a bit lazy haha. Cleaned the garage completely and it was fucked after just 3 hours hahaha.

Anyway, i was contemplating for ages whether i should cut the rain try out or not, seeing as its going to be my daily, but i thought feck it haha, take it out for a proper shave.

I have already though of a way to re-route the heater, but not sure if it will work lol. Also found surface rust in the rear and attacked it with power tools till i couldnt move any more. Then painted it.. i just hope it works !!

And now i have stumbled on this, and am confused on how to proceed. Its a very tricky corner, and istn really easily cut/welded in with a replacement. It has a tiny hole into it but im unsure of how to proceed as i dont want to rust to come back

Anyway thats it for today till the weekend. I hoep to get motivated more lol, the rust is depressing me badly

Comment

Working...
                              X