The cons of DIY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The cons of DIY

I am new to suspension work, have the coilovers and I am considering doing it with the help of a friend one weekend. I'd like to know everything you can think of that could go wrong with just an install. I know what it takes to keep things from rubbing and what not, I just mean things that could break or be damaged by the install. I have a MK4 jetta that is on a cupkit from the PO if any of that matters.

Also, if something could go wrong like shearing a bolt or breaking something, would they be things that I could drive down to Autozone to buy?

I don't know about here, but on VWVortex, I'd get flamed for this, but I am only 17, so my dad still has a say in what I do, and right now he is against letting me do it myself (which wasn't the case until after I got the coils ), and wants me to have a backup plan for anything that could go wrong, because I have to go to class at two different schools everyday and cannot go a single weekday without the car.

Worst case: Your car explodes and takes out 5 city blocks killing everyone you know and love
    Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

don't attempt a mk4 without a strut spreader tool.
      025garage

Comment

Originally posted by Average_Jerk View Post
        Worst case: Your car explodes and takes out 5 city blocks killing everyone you know and love
        how would you suggest he prepare for this contingency?
        025garage

Comment

Originally posted by motocaddy View Post
          how would you suggest he prepare for this contingency?
          Have a bottle of whiskey on hand, just in case

Comment

Follow a DIY anywhere, it is a pretty easy job but then again i have no idea what your mechanical ability is. Mk4 isn't the easiest i would suppose, so have someone local at least keep an eye on you.

Watch for those explosions.

Email | Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

You forget to tighten a bolt, your spindle drops to the ground while you're going 90, you lose control, crash into a tree, and die.
              Dude... My nissan has like a v8, man.

Comment

I think starting this thread was a bad idea lol. Just read a few write-ups and tackle the job. If you've turned a wrench before, you'll be alright. Just take your time and think things through.
                330i ZHP

Comment

I see you're all more like the vortex users than i thought, I'll be sure to watch out for those explosions

I've already read that there are a few options to pry that open far enough to slip the strut out without ordering one of those. I was just asking about the chances of breaking something or shearing a bolt that could cause my car to be out of commission for longer than a weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by TheTynosaur View Post
                    I see you're all more like the vortex users than i thought, I'll be sure to watch out for those explosions

I've already read that there are a few options to pry that open far enough to slip the strut out without ordering one of those. I was just asking about the chances of breaking something or shearing a bolt that could cause my car to be out of commission for longer than a weekend.
                    even the most experienced guy can break something. just be sure to take your time and not rush yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by TheTynosaur View Post

Oh good call. Ignore the only real advice. This is definitely gonna end in an explosion.
                      025garage

Comment

I am grateful for the advice, just saying that I've read a few alternatives to it

Sent from my HTC 3D using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Working...
                        X