MAE Crown Jewel newb ?'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAE Crown Jewel newb ?'s

I have access to a set of O.Z made 3 piece mae Crown Jewels. I know I will either need to redrill them or use adapters to put them on my Volvo xc70.

However here are the questions:

1. The sizes are 18x8.5 in the front and 18x10.5. I'm not even sure that the tears will fit so if anyone with experience with p2 volvo's can give recommendations, I need all the help I can get.

2. This may be a bit out there but does any one have an idea what the offset on these could be? They are off of a 1994 mercedes sl600. I can't remove them (yet) so I'm not able to figure this out yet

3. Where can you get the special MAE cap removal tool? This is why I can't get them off, I don't have it.

4. Is it possible to have a bend removed from a lip? One of the fronts has a very slight bend on the lip, the barrel is fine.

5. Is it better to redrill or use adapters? I would be going from 5x108 to 5x112 and considering how wide the rear wheels are I'm not sure exactly where to go with this

Here are some pics got reference:

Car they are coming off of

Up close (not mine will take pics of exact rims if need be).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Really? Nothing?

Comment

adapters would do, and save the resale value. They should fit fine in the fenders, if you want to tuck you should probably redrill though.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Now all I need to find is the tool that removes the caps.

Comment

Should be just an allen key or star pattern.
          I have the one piece set atm and the screw that holds in the cap is nothing special.
          Originally posted by electricalbox
          12 inches of goodness!

Comment

Offset will determine if they will fit, what year XC? Any plans to lower the car? I noticed you said P2 which means there is likely enough room for them width wise depending on the offsets/adapters combination.

1. The sizes are 18x8.5 in the front and 18x10.5. I'm not even sure that the tears will fit so if anyone with experience with p2 volvo's can give recommendations, I need all the help I can get. SHOULD be able to make them fit... offset will depend on if you re-drill or adapt.

2. This may be a bit out there but does any one have an idea what the offset on these could be? They are off of a 1994 mercedes sl600. I can't remove them (yet) so I'm not able to figure this out yet Probably around 35 if they're like most other MAE's that I've seen.

3. Where can you get the special MAE cap removal tool? This is why I can't get them off, I don't have it. I didn't have one when I bought a set of MAE's, you might have to drill out the screw or try to make a tool, if its cylindrical like the one I had it's very hard to find JUST the tool for sale.

4. Is it possible to have a bend removed from a lip? One of the fronts has a very slight bend on the lip, the barrel is fine. Absolutely, find a reputable wheel repair facility, if they tell you they cant fix bends, don't even bother taking anything to them, Most reputable wheel repair places can easily fix a bend.

5. Is it better to redrill or use adapters? I would be going from 5x108 to 5x112 and considering how wide the rear wheels are I'm not sure exactly where to go with this I would Adapt to save the more desirable 5x112 bolt pattern, but if you're dead set on these wheels, it might be easier to fit with a re-drill, that being said, it will surely diminish the resale value if you drill them to 5x108

Follow Me On Instagram! @jvc8790 #jvcphotography

Comment

It's a 02 xc70 that has been lowered already on v70r suspension. Thanks for the detailed info. I've looked everywhere for the tool bout I found some one who made their own so if I can't find it I'll probably make it my self

Comment

And yeah the tool is cylindrical with another circle offset to the side if that makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Strawhat View Post
                  Should be just an allen key or star pattern.
                  I have the one piece set atm and the screw that holds in the cap is nothing special.
                  MAE must have used different screws at different times, or your screws aren't original. The center cap screws on mine are smooth circular on the inside with a single offset hole for a pin. It's actually kind of a shitty design, but whatever.

FYI, MAE is now making the classic Crown Jewels again, so it might be worth getting at them to see if they'll just sell the tool you need. I'd also bet an industrious individual could use a Dremel to make a tool out of a bolt. It only has to work once, and then you can replace the screws with something with an Allen head or whatever.
                  Last edited by Oh Damn, it's Sam; 03-04-2014, 09:28 PM.

Comment

MAE Crown Jewel newb ?'s

Originally posted by Oh Damn, it's Sam View Post
                    MAE must have used different screws at different times, or your screws aren't original. The center cap screws on mine are smooth circular on the inside with a single offset hole for a pin. It's actually kind of a shitty design, but whatever.

FYI, MAE is now making the classic Crown Jewels again, so it might be worth getting at them to see if they'll just sell the tool you need. I'd also bet an industrious individual could use a Dremel to make a tool out of a bolt. It only has to work once, and then you can replace the screws with something with an Allen head or whatever.

Those are exactly the bolts I have and I will look into that (sorry for not describing it very well ). Being such a noob to stance I am obligated to say thanks for all the help.

Comment

Any pics of the car? With just R suspension components this may look really wacky.

Comment

For the removal you can easily "manufacture" (aka take a dremel and an allen key and go to town). I may have one here, if so I don't mind loaning it out if you want to pay shipping to and from.

Let me know if you can't access the lugs, if so I'll take a look and see.

Comment

Originally posted by sacrifice View Post
                          Any pics of the car? With just R suspension components this may look really wacky.

It's in the intro section and I will probably consider putting up a thread in the build section documenting my progress.

Comment

Did you end up getting these MAE wheels? I have a set I need center caps for...

Comment

Working...
                            X