Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polishing One Piece Wheels

Hello,

I want to know how to strip a clear coat off the lips of a one piece wheel.

I was working only one two piece wheels so yes all you gotta do is disassemble the lip and soak in it paint stripper to get rid of the clear coat.

But now I have one piece wheel and I wanna remove clear coat just from the lips.
    How to do that without ruining the clear coat that it's not on the lips?

So I was googling it and found this.
    Mask the center of the wheel and apply the paint stripper on the lip, but won't that spripper go under the clearcoat and in the end as I am going to remove the tape, tore the clear coat under the tape.
    Last edited by e36_320i; 08-27-2015, 10:58 AM.

Are the lips large? I used sandpaper and acetone in the past. I'd probably try something different if I was presented with the same task.

OZ, MSW, ABT, Carlsson, etc 10 point bolt tools info

Comment

Mask the lip off with some tough material, aircraft stripper, sandpaper. You can paint on the stripper w a brush to have a finite edge if you need.

Comment

This are the wheels I will be woriking on.

So mask tape the unpolishing places (black places) and add paint stripper on the lip? I really dont wanna mess this up by removing clear coat from a places I dont wanna.
        Last edited by e36_320i; 08-27-2015, 11:08 AM.

Comment

It looks like there's a bit of space between the lip and the wheel face so mask it right there. Make sure that surface is as clean as you can get it before you tape because the stripper can and will creep under the edge if you aren't careful. When your taping it off DO NOT try and pull the tape tight to make the edge that was cause issues with it falling off very quickly. You want to almost lay it onto the wheel without pulling or putting a lot of tension on the tape as your doing it. An alcohol based cleaner will make sure you get good adhesion onto the masked surface. Your best bet is to use an acid brush with the stripper to make sure you get right down to the edge but control the amount of buildup there. Keep a wet rag handy so if you happen to have an accident you can wipe it quickly. Stripper doesn't work instantly but it's pretty fast so you've got a couple seconds of fudge room on a good day. Personally I would run the exact edge you want to keep clean and then cover the entire wheel face just to be safe. It's not a very hard process at all it seems a lot more nerve wracking then it really is. Take your time and it shouldn't be a problem at all.

Comment

Working...
          X