Thinking about Raceland Coilovers....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about Raceland Coilovers....

Gonna go ahead and put my flamesuit on for this one.

Here's my situation. I'm looking to replace the OEM suspension on my 96 328iC. I can feel the ride getting a bit sloppy and want to firm it up. I will only be using the 328 as a DD until April or so as I will be picking up a P-car then. Once that is done the 328 will be parked and I will be rebuilding the engine for FI (too many miles to safely FI it now) and doing a complete suspension overhaul.

I want something that will last for those few months while I decide exactly how I want to go about lowering my car. The car will not be tracked during this time, at most a bit of spirited driving on the interstate.

I know the VW guys love the Raceland's, but how do you guys feel about them? I have yet to see or hear anything about them being cheap and breaking or just not performing right for daily use. At $300 they're cheap enough that if they do break I can just replace them, but if they're that cheaply made then I would have seen some type of bad review by now.

I'd like to know as well. My buddy with a MK4 is saying he is ordering these this weekend, and I just haven't heard good things about Raceland, but have nothing to back it up with.

-Michael

Comment

If you plan on overhauling the suspension in just a couple months, either save the $300 and just use it for something better, and roll stock for another month or two... or just buy something nice now and don't waste the $300 on something you're going to replace.

Comment

if your looking to only go moderately low then do it, if you want any short of good ride or to go silly low dont do it

Comment

Originally posted by Tropicana View Post
          if your looking to only go moderately low then do it, if you want any short of good ride or to go silly low dont do it
          I have them and have had for a while. They ride well and they will go stupid low. They'll go low enough to tuck a 17 inch wheel both front and back.

Comment

you get what you pay for... they look identical to vmaxx's which ive had for a year and after a year they ride like absolute dog shit

Comment

Originally posted by Tropicana View Post
              you get what you pay for... they look identical to vmaxx's which ive had for a year and after a year they ride like absolute dog shit
              Maybe our standards for ride quality are different; I have no complaints.

Comment

oh we definitely do haha i cant stand driving my daily because of the shitty ride quality, it must be your first set of coils, which would make it understandable.

my daily has vmaxx's, then i put ksports in my orange car and it was huge difference, in every way possible.
                plus dampening adjustment is a huge plus.
                ive had almost every suspension combo possible.

ive found cheap coils without dampening adjustment have way too much travel to proper stance a car without destroying your fender (yes im a vw guy who fucking hates when people think its cool to destroy fenders)
                Last edited by Tropicana; 10-07-2009, 03:24 PM.

Comment

If you're planning on upgrading your suspension later on to higher end coilovers, then I wouldn't get the racelands. No point in spending an extra $300. Just get the better suspension now, or wait until you can afford it. If blown suspension bothers you, you can just get used shocks in good condition for really cheap.

Comment

Working...
                  X