Funkmeister Equip'd R32 Skyline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funkmeister Equip'd R32 Skyline

Hello, I'm James. I'm new to the stanceworks forum but have been a fan for long time now.

I bought a 1991 Nissan Skyline and this is my journey to making it bad-ass!
    I won't bore you with what I'm doing performance wise other than I'm currently building an RB25det for it with suitable power figures...

Anyway, here's the car.

She has coilovers on now but I'm not going to take any new shots of her until the wheels are finished...

Which brings me to the best bit.

Last week I bought these...

17x9 and 17x10 Work Equip's in not so great condition but with the rare stepped lip.
    Not sure on the offsets but I think it's about +40ish but I'm looking into wider lips to make them 10 and 11 which off the top of my head should make them somewhere in the region of et0 to et +5, could be wrong.

So out of curiousity I decided to see how many layers of the shitty matte black was on the centres but it turns out it was only one

But as you can see they have been powder coated... Twice! So it means they're gonna have to be sent off for blasting which isn't a massive deal but it doesn't take a detective to work out that the 2nd coat (silver) was done with the centre caps on...

Yea... Who would do such a criminal thing?!

The powder coating has filled all the lettering and the border and has ruined them, they look terrible!

Hopefully I can blast these too and get them back to new- ish. If I can then I'm going to mirror polish the caps and centres.

I had some spare time tonight so I thought I'd get a head start tearing them down

Despite this probably being the first time they've ever come apart, they came apart really really easily apart from a few rusty bolts giving me shit but all genuine nuts a bolts are in reusable condition, happy!

Just for a bit of a giggle I decided to see what it would look like if I reversed the centres...

Anyone would have done the same lol!

Anyway that's where I'm up to at the moment, hopefully more updates soon.

Take care everyone

-James Funkmeister Young
    -James Funkmeister Young

Very nice, I am a big fan of step lipped Equips.

Just a bit of correction on your offset calculation, for every 1" you widen the front lip, you subtract 0.5" from the offset, so 1" wider makes the offset 12.5mm less

Also how do the wheels go with brake clearance on the R32? I had a GTR set of Equips in 17x9 +18 and the were very close to my R33 GTS-T 4 pots.
    Drinking Enthusiast with a Car Problem

Comment

Damn! Ghost ride the whip!

Comment

Cheers dude!!

There is literally no clearance for callipers which I believe may have something to do with these being made for an FD rx7 so no matter what I have to run 20mm spacers which I forgot that I added into my offset equation.

It's annoying as I **** using spacers, even hubcentrics. I've heard so many stories of studs shearing off.
        -James Funkmeister Young

Comment

How I envy you, I swear my next car needs to be a skyline!!

Looks great so far!

Volo In Timore

Comment

All I want is an r32, but no I live in the US...

Looking forward to this!

E30 V8 Build thread

Go here be happy!

Instagram: stuartrussell

Store: alwaysindividual.bigcartel.com

Comment

Originally posted by FunfGang View Post

Looking forward to this!
              My boy has one and he is right in MD.
              Follow on IG
              amgwheelwhore

Buy my wheels
              Vintage AME Wheels
              RUF Speedline Wheels

Buy my cars
              W115 & W123

Comment

Originally posted by FunfGang View Post

Looking forward to this!
                Next Year you can get one.

Comment

Thanks for the love guys!

The car was imported from Japan in 2009 and has every tax disc from sell date to current, it has a huge amount of receipts from Japan and uk and best of all 38,000 miles.
                  The only modification is an Apexi rear box. Apart from the LSD and coilovers I've just fitted.
                  -James Funkmeister Young

Comment

I know I said I wouldn't really go in to performance happenings but I guess it adds to overall purpose behind the build of this car. I'm not one to do things by halves especially when it comes to what I drive!

After a few months of ownership, I bough this...

A series 1 RB25det from an R33 gtst with 80,000km.

I'm not really wasting any time with this. It's only cash flow that's gonna be the thing slowing me down.
                    I managed to get hold of a brand new GReddy replica manifold with a T3 top mount and 38mm wastegate.

Chances are ill chop it up and modify it to make it alot stronger and to accept a 40mm v-band wastegate but I only paid 50 bucks for it so it was a must have bargain!

In terms of power figures I'd like to have the engine built strong to about 300-350bhp before it gets dropped in. I've got my eye on a brand new Holset HX35 which should do the job... The rest I'm gonna kinda do as I go along.

Small Wheel Update:
                    I've sorted some sand blasting for centers. I still haven't found a company who stock replacement lips. It seems they stock the flat lips but not the stepped lips so I'm gonna have to have them custom spun locally so maybe stainless steel maybe the way forward... They'll certainly be a bit more durable.

Cheers for reading.
                    -James Funkmeister Young

Comment

EQUIP UPDATE

I sent my equip centres and bolts to a good fabricator friend of mine to have the powder coating removed and came out completely different than we expected. There was no damage to the original polished surface from the powder coating which is lucky but unfortunately, around the lug holes there's some serious oxidisation and also between the spokes. So I'm gonna get to work on the straight away and get rubbing them down ready to be re polished.

He also found that the bottom left centre had some body filler skimmed over the centre which I'm hoping isn't deep and can be taken down and polished out but knowing my luck, there's probably something quite ugly under there.

Fingers crossed!
                      -James Funkmeister Young

Comment

A few months ago I bought these...

Work Equip 05 (stepped lip version)
                        17x9 et42 & 17x10 et44

As you can see they were very untidy and the offsets were cramping my style but as they are one of my favourite model of wheel I had to have them!

I set about grabbing as much info on replacing the lips with some wider ones but had no luck sourcing genuine ones so considered having some custom spun but that proved too expensive so reluctantly I went to Image wheels. I say reluctantly only as I've had quality issues with them before but thought I'd try again out of desperation.

Meanwhile I began splitting the wheels down...

Surprisingly they came apart with ease after some air powered persuasion.

I broke out the paint stripper but underneath the rancid matt black was an awful powder coat job. This pissed me off pretty bad as the paint stripper didn't budge it!

I good friend of mine took the centres off me and dipped them for me at his work. What came back was a bit worrying...

Body filler, everywhere!

I assumed it was game over to have them polished but out of curiosity I decided to sand them down to inspect the damage to the surface.

After lots of sanding it turned out that it was only light scratches that sanded out in no time... Some people are so lazy!

Got them sent off to the polishers and the new lips arrived shortly after. My chance on Image wheels seemed to have paid off and with that I picked up my mirror polished centres and started to build them up.

So I went from these...

To these...

I couldn't be happier with them, they came out exactly as I wanted them too.
                        The new specs are...

17x10 et29 & 17x11.5 et25

Only issue I have is that the front needed 20mm spacers to clear the 33 calipers.

So after all the work and money put in, what do you guys think?
                        -James Funkmeister Young

Comment

Beautiful,
                          I want a Skyline so horribly bad.. ugh
                          sigpic

Comment

I can only imagine how frustrating and long that process was, but they came out AMAZING

W I L D M A N 'S R O D S H O P

R.I.P P.WALKER 2013/11/30

Comment

Oh shit, those wheels! Talk about born anew!

Polished Equips on a grey R32? Hells yes!

Comment

Working...
                              X