No announcement yet.

Lowering E23 Temporarily? Cut Springs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowering E23 Temporarily? Cut Springs?

Hello everybody I need your input on whether or not I should cut the springs (temporarily) on my 1983 733i until I get my Air bag suspension kit in the future (Maybe in a year or so). My car sits up too high and is currently on the factory suspension. What are the procedures in getting this done? Do I have to take off the whole strut or can I cut the springs with the strut mounted on the car?

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by mpvibes; 10-17-2013, 12:59 AM.

I have an e23 as well...cutting the springs are only gonna help in the looks department.. Id say pull them off unless u wanna break a few blades and be dangerous. Also for the fronts the bottoms will need to be cut I believe... I wanna cut mine soon too.. i only cruise this car as a daily..

Comment

A minor cut will be okay. Your old stock shocks wont hold up to much more than maybe 1.5 coils up front and 2 or 3 out back.

Flickr

Comment

If your going to cut the springs abd leave it on the car get a set of portable spring compressors and a cut off wheel compress the part of the spring you want to keep and cut off the unsprung coils

Comment

Hey man I'm new to the forum. But I've had anything from mk1s to mk4 vws. Ad have cut springs on a few to get buy for the time being. My .02 cents would be go for it. But don't go overboard. Because you can't put it back.

Also I've always cut mine on the car. GOOD LUCK!!!

Comment

you can throw spring compressors or just a big pipe wrench on them and cut them on the car.

Have a couple of beers first and pray to god if you're into that because you might die.

Although I would strongly recommend against it. If you cut enough springs for it to make a difference on these cars your shocks will blow out within a month and the ride will be terrible, which will be especially distressing considing how well stock e23's ride

Just wait for your air, you can't uncut springs

P.S. I like your car, ive got a arktisblau e23 on style 5's myself

Comment

Working...
            X