Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool thanks. I think I need to buy new polishes because the ones I have are from 20 years ago and dont really hold to the mop. What polish did you like the most/think was most effective?

Comment

Used a single polish, that came with the kit, the rest was hand sanding 80->2000 grit

edit- actually tried 3M fine polish paste, which is useless imo, maybe it's for paintjobs, the vendor was clueless of what she was selling :|
      Last edited by Joker; 12-06-2010, 04:56 PM.

Comment

I have a couple questions for you...

I have some wheels that already have polished lips. I took them apart to have the centers repainted a different color and I just got them back from the body shop. I figured since they were apart I should "clean" up the lips a little. They have some small "scuff" marks from where the plastic head of a tire machine rubbed against the lip. I wanted to give all 4 lips a once over with some wet sanding to get the maximum shine before I bolt and seal them all back together. I know it's next to impossible to know what grit to start with since you haven't seen the wheels, but what do you think I should try? And I've never wet sanded anything. Could you possibly explain in detail how I should go about it? Thanks a lot. I'm quite excited to get my wheels back together!!!
        E12/E39M/E53

Comment

Originally posted by twastheglow View Post
          I have a couple questions for you...
          imo if you want just to refinish the polishing try wetsanding with 2000 grit (wetsanding is the same as dry sanding except u guessed it, u add water... to clean the surface while sanding to get a smoother finish) if u think the 2000 grit won't get the scratches out go to 1000 grit wetsanding(keep in mind u have to work on it for a while before the scratches disapear) after they are gone with the 1000, wetsand 2000 grit again then polish them preferably with polishing wheel and aluminum polish, in the worst case with hand polishing and all purpous polish.

sorry if my english is hard to understand
          Last edited by Joker; 12-12-2010, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Joker View Post
            imo if you want just to refinish the polishing try wetsanding with 2000 grit (wetsanding is the same as dry sanding except u guessed it, u add water... to clean the surface while sanding to get a smoother finish) if u think the 2000 grit won't get the scratches out go to 1000 grit wetsanding(keep in mind u have to work on it for a while before the scratches disapear) after they are gone with the 1000, wetsand 2000 grit again then polish them preferably with polishing wheel and aluminum polish, in the worst case with hand polishing and all purpous polish.

sorry if my english is hard to understand
            Thanks for the response. I understood you just fine.

I'll probably start with the 2k like you mentioned. I have a Mothers Powerball along with a Mothers metal polisher that I've used on the wheels before. I was actually quite disappointed in it. They didn't look any different than when I wash the lips with soap and water.
            E12/E39M/E53

Comment

Best product I have ever come across.....White Diamond Polish! go get it!!!
              sigpic

Comment

good thread, post more wheels!

- www.bagriders.com - Email us at: sales@bagriders.com -

- Did you find a lower price? We Price Match! -

Comment

very impressive thread.i have a set of wheels i wanna polish too.ill be watching this thread

Comment

i polished my bbs some a while ago using my car ) in second gear whit fron wheels up . i used just grid and polishing paste
                    these are the wheels before and after ( also pictures whit my aez 7,5j and 9j that i polished using the same method ) . all of them had lots of scratches and the paint was exfoliated . after polish they look like new .
                    aez paron 7,5j +9j

bbs rs 764

now i have other rims that i am going to polish
                    aez alustar s exclusive line

sorry . now i see that high res don't work here .

for high resolutin pics click here

bbs rs t64 pics http://img810.imageshack.us/g/22062010455.jpg/

aez paron pics http://img26.imageshack.us/g/08092010932l.jpg/
                    Last edited by nutzu; 02-01-2011, 03:46 AM.
                    seat cordoba coupe TDI

Comment

some good info, i plan on doing this soon, thanks!

Comment

Just polished my RSs

The front stock lips:

Played with the faces

My rear 7" lips

'84 e30 320i m20b20 zobelbraun metallic
                        '00 e46 323Ci m52b25 topasblau metallic
                        '10 e92 320cd n47d20c carbonschwartz metallic

Comment

dude, who has that many candy bars laying around?

hahaha
                          sigpic

Comment

gave this wheel a quick over with some black compound on the bench grinder. Needs more work obviously, but I think it looks pretty good so far.. Thoughts?

Comment

great DIY thanks

Comment

Before and after...

Still work to be done!

Comment

Working...
                                X