This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight polishing

The headlights on my 2005 STI are looking a bit yellow. I've ordered Laminx for both but I was wanting to polish them before I apply the overlays. Any particular products or techniques you would recommend?

I've had really good luck with doing this:

-Wetsand with 1500
    -Then 2000

I gave a Maguires powercone polish wheel for my wheels, but I always clean it after every use and found it works really good for doing headlights.

You'll need some cutting compounds:
    -Something that cuts pretty heavy.
    -Then a fine finishing cut compound.
    -Then I like to wax by hand.

Pics of my lights after following the process above:

After:

Compounds:

The 3M stuff I got at Napa and the other at Advanced Auto Parts. Really you just need something medium cut and fine cut and it should do the job real nice. Also, I use the powercone thing on a drill which makes it real easy. Took me about 30 minutes to do everything above including masking and stuff.

Hope this helps man.

The Kia has been parted.

Comment

3m makes a nice kit. I need to redo my dailys. But I need to go to 1000-1500-2000 then a compound and polish.

Comment

Yes, 3M is very good stuff. Ive used the meguires headlight restore in a squeeze bottle with no sanding required, it looked decent only last a month or 2 though. Spend the time and do it well and make it last.

Comment

Cant you post a current pic of how it is looking right now.
          vacuum for pet hair

Comment

Just a heads up, you can go as low as 320 grit dry on headlights. I say this 100% from experience.

The steps I recommend:
            Only go as low as 320 if absolutely necessary.
            600,800,1000 (dry)
            1500, 2000, 3000 (wet)
            Meguiars D105 compound.
            Meguiars D205 polish. This doubles as a wax!

Make sure you have some sort of dual action polisher or high speed buffer.

Here are a few examples I have done.

And this one we only went to 1000, You can defiantly tell.

If anyone has more questions feel free to ask!

Instagram - @choadyhighroller
            Originally posted by nickskater09
            I think Jody, along with Ashton, like to push the line between "street legal" and "realistically driveable".

Comment

I've used 3M products aswell on my mom's Astra, cleared the plexi quite well. However, you should be careful when polishing, not to go too much into the plastic or pressing to hard against it, or you could risk breaking it, depending on the age/thickness. Didn't managed to break one, had a mate doing that tho.

Comment

Originally posted by Jlyons617 View Post
                The headlights on my 2005 STI are looking a bit yellow. I've ordered Laminx for both but I was wanting to polish them before I apply the overlays. Any particular products or techniques you would recommend?
                Toothpaste. Works on headlights just like your teeth. No more yellow.
                Truth is not determined by what people think of it.

Comment

Heres the process I use. My headlight was REALLY yellow but it should work either why.

Before:

1000 grit wet sandpaper:

1500 grit:

3000 grit:

Compund:

Polish:

Comment

Working...
                  X