Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any tips on how to get the fine scratches out? I've polished up to 2000 then hit it with mother mag polish and it's shiny but I can still see fine scratches.

I've also tried compounds (white, then red) on a polishing wheel with a bench grinder, the results are worst than by hand. It seems to impart a lot of fine scratches.

Comment

• So I guess im in the same boat as the rest of these guys since im polishing my style 5's as well. But since this is only my second attempt i could use a little help. The lips are in a worse condition than my last wheels and im wondering if basic sanding will get rid of the issues. I used 5 layers of paint stripper so im pretty sure its just bare meal now.

IMG_5003 by Simpson.Photography, on Flickr

IMG_5002 by Simpson.Photography, on Flickr

IMG_5000 by Simpson.Photography, on Flickr

IMG_4999 by Simpson.Photography, on Flickr

What will i need to do to get ride of th curb rash and other problems.? Any help is appreciated.

Comment

• Start with a very low grit sand paper, like 50 or even less

Comment

• some of my work
          most of the wheels I've done , unfortunately didnt take photos ...

my bbs rs 8x16 , full polish by hand

RH CUP 9x14

Borbet bs 9x16 full polish

vid of polishing my old borbet bs but 8x15

vid of a set of steffan bcw's 9x14 I've done .....
          I'll dig out some more stuff I've polished

Last edited by enes_ca; 08-16-2013, 04:53 PM.
          https://t.me/pump_upp

Comment

• Anyone ever use MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) to strip the paint on their wheels?

Comment

• so I was going to get the Mothers Mag/aluminum polish today but my buddy recommended Heavy Metal Polish, the blue stuff, and said he likes it way better for when he polishes wheels. What are your thoughts on that?
              1976 Volvo 245 Build

Comment

• I picked up some OZ Futuras and the lips are pitted. I've tried sanding from 320 grit all the way up to 2000 grit, but no luck on getting he pitting out. Should I be sanding in a perpendicular pattern (read that in a DIY post)? So far I've sanded in just one direction.

Any tips would be appreciated. A close up of what I'm working with.

Comment

• I am getting my stuff together to polish my R90 wheels from my Mini Cooper. The reason for the polishing is because there is some oxidation happening between the clear coat and the lip of the wheel. There's not a whole lot to polish, because it is just the lip. So this shouldn't take forever, especially since I will using a high speed polisher.
                  Here's my question:I noticed I have some oxidation in the barrel as well. I am assuming the whole wheel is alum. but I am not sure once I get rid of the oxidation in the barrel, do I need to anything with these areas afterwords? I don't mind keeping the lips polished every month or so, but I can't see having to take the wheel off to do the barrels.
                  Here is the pic of the lip, but this is also happening in the barrel as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by bcgreen View Post
                    I am getting my stuff together to polish my R90 wheels from my Mini Cooper. The reason for the polishing is because there is some oxidation happening between the clear coat and the lip of the wheel. There's not a whole lot to polish, because it is just the lip. So this shouldn't take forever, especially since I will using a high speed polisher.
                    Here's my question:I noticed I have some oxidation in the barrel as well. I am assuming the whole wheel is alum. but I am not sure once I get rid of the oxidation in the barrel, do I need to anything with these areas afterwords? I don't mind keeping the lips polished every month or so, but I can't see having to take the wheel off to do the barrels.
                    Here is the pic of the lip, but this is also happening in the barrel as well.
                    Strip the clearcoat. Polish and clearcoat the lips.

OZ, MSW, ABT, Carlsson, etc 10 point bolt tools info

Comment

• Originally posted by zoo View Post
                      Strip the clearcoat. Polish and clearcoat the lips.
                      Not clear coating, my question is in regards to the barrels.
                      Last edited by bcgreen; 03-04-2014, 12:23 PM.

Comment

• If you go up to 3000 grit wet, can you go directly to Mother's Mag Polish from there? I did this and still have some small imperfections in my lips. I am only polishing by hand, if I use a buffer with some polish do you guys think it would come out?

Comment

• Using 600-2000, then emery, tripoli and white I cannot remove the marks that white rouge leave. I tried a finer compound (going to try jewler's rouge next), but for the life of me I cannot get the marks to disappear using mother's etc. What am I doing wrong?

Comment

• Nice grills and rides

I haven;t gathered enough courage to do that by myself. Thanks for the inspiration
                            Malindi Attractions & Sightseeing | Malindi Tourism Guide

Comment

• Polishing "non-polished" wheels

Hey great thread you got here! I just have a few questions about my wheels that i could use some advise on...

My wheels are 4x100 13x6.5 and are not stock polished. The lips and spokes as you can tell in the pictures have never had a polished surface and have very fine groove lines in them. My plan is to polish the lips and spokes and refinish the inside painting them black. Is there any way you know of to remove these grooves and get the mirror finish of a proper polished wheel? I've used a angle grinder and 3M scotch brite pads on one of them but cant seem to effectively remove the lines to get a good polish and am considering just painting the whole wheel black instead of polished/black. Thanks for your advise on wheel polish thus far! Great work!

Comment

• Starting on the faces of my works. Going from silver to polished.

Comment

Working...
                                X