Need Help ASAP! Just Discovered Cracks On My Carlssons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help ASAP! Just Discovered Cracks On My Carlssons

I just put my Carlsson 3/6s on last night after rebuilding them.

Upon further inspection after putting them on I discovered two cracks on one of the faces

I need some insight on how bad cracked faces are.

I know it is not safe regardless, but can you drive in them or are they too dangerous? Any quick fixes?

I am leaving for Sowo tomorrow morning so any opinions/help would be great.

Thank you!

Here are some pictures:

The cracks are located on the inner edge of these two slots.

They are non repairable, and no don't try to weld them.

Comment

Originally posted by SeeClass View Post
      Alright. Thanks for the response.

So I am guessing that also means do not drive drive on them what so ever?

Comment

Vibration could cause the crack to continue, they don't seem to be huge cracks. You can roll them around town but would you drive 70mph + on them? I wouldn't.

Comment

Cast aluminum, correct?
          Why do you say that they cannot be welded? Please provide the reasoning behind that statement.

OZ, MSW, ABT, Carlsson, etc 10 point bolt tools info

Comment

Originally posted by zoo View Post
            Please provide the reasoning behind that statement.
            No, I'm not here to have a debate. I suggest you do some research on the subject.

Comment

Vibration could cause the crack to continue, they don't seem to be huge cracks. You can roll them around town but would you drive 70mph + on them? I wouldn't.
              I hear you. Driving on the wheel for 6 hours to Sowo and back at highway speeds sounds scary.

Sucks that all the time and work I put into them is now wasted.

So there is no way that the face can be repaired at all in its current condition?

Comment

Originally posted by DaCabrioGuy View Post
                I hear you. Driving on the wheel for 6 hours to Sowo and back at highway speeds sounds scary.

Sucks that all the time and work I put into them is now wasted.

So there is no way that the face can be repaired at all in its current condition?
                There is really no safe way to weld it, the proper way to weld lets say a lip is to groove out the crack and weld in material. Lips are thin and flat so heat dissipates faster. If you cut a groove on the face and heat it up with the weld it will cause other impurities in the cast to weaken the wheels even more.

Comment

No, I'm not here to have a debate. I suggest you do some research on the subject.
                  Ok.

Fatigue/stress fracture, right? Not caused by a pothole/impact?

Comment

Originally posted by zoo View Post
                    Ok.

Fatigue/stress fracture, right? Not caused by a pothole/impact?
                    Sorry for sounding like a douche, some people on the forums ask questions to start debates. You're correct, impurities in the cast and years of use eventually cause stress fractures/fatigue. These wheels are almost 16 years old, they seen a lot of use. Even forged wheels have the same problems, I've had volk wheels crack at the spokes out of nowhere.

Comment

There is really no safe way to weld it, the proper way to weld lets say a lip is to groove out the crack and weld in material. Lips are thin and flat so heat dissipates faster. If you cut a groove on the face and heat it up with the weld it will cause other impurities in the cast to weaken the wheels even more.
                      Understood. I know that I will NEVER find a replacement face for these though.

Comment

Keep an eye out on Craigslist, ive seen them. Last week I eventually found a wheel I was looking for around three years.

Comment

Sorry for sounding like a douche, some people on the forums ask questions to start debates. You're correct, impurities in the cast and years of use eventually cause stress fractures/fatigue. These wheels are almost 16 years old, they seen a lot of use. Even forged wheels have the same problems, I've had volk wheels crack at the spokes out of nowhere.
                          It's cool; I just wanted to make sure my understanding was reasonable.

Comment

Keep an eye out on Craigslist, ive seen them. Last week I eventually found a wheel I was looking for around three years.
                            Yea, but you're in Cali. Unfair advantage.

Comment

What specs are they? if I find one i'll let you know...

Comment

Working...
                              X