Wheel Refinishing Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Refinishing Help

Long time lurker, joined recently in anticipation of finally getting my E36 presentable (bone stock '98 328i). I picked up a set of Z3/E36 17in Style 32's with flaking clear. I've been trying to decide whether I want to completely refinish them myself, simply get them media blasted and clear coated, have them professionally refinished with paint, or get them powdercoated.

My concern with doing the work myself is that I will put in 15 or 20 hours of work and not be happy with the results

My concern with just media blast and clear is that they will look too dull and the finish wont come out smooth

My concern with getting them professionally done is that I'm going to be shelling out over $500 (is it worth it?)

My concern with powder coating is that the heat will compromise the integrity of the wheels as most powdercoats seem to cure at over 350 degrees F and from my understanding this messes with the heat treat

Does anyone have any recommendations on which direction they would go with? Thanks!

Powder coat. 10-20 minutes at 350-400 F will not weaken the wheels

ASM Handbook Volume 2, Properties and Selection: Nonferrous Alloys and Special-Purpose Materials.

356-T6: aging at 305 to 315 °F for 2 to 5 hours
    Yield stress = 185 MPa
    Ultimate stress = 262 MPa
    Fracture strain = 0.05

356-T7: aging at 435 to 445 °F for 7 to 9 hours
    Yield stress = 165 MPa
    Ultimate stress = 220 MPa
    Fracture strain = 0.06

OZ, MSW, ABT, Carlsson, etc 10 point bolt tools info

Comment

Thank you!

Comment