Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 68 Mercedes

Hey! I moved to San Diego, California from Australia over a year ago

Was in the market for a 2001 E Class or ww202 C Class but came across this for sale so I bought this instead, always loved the body style and couldn't pass it up

1968 Mercedes Benz 280SE
    Gunmetal (Anthracite Grey) with Creme/Black Interior
    Original California car bought at Hollywood Mercedes (still has the original plate frames on it)
    152,000 miles
    A/C
    Power windows
    Fuel Injected 2.8l 6 cylinder
    4 Wheel Disk brakes
    Power steering

I used this car as my daily driver since buying for over a year. So far so good! Put about 15000 Miles on it since buying. Just bought a daily a few months ago now

It starts up everyday, drives smoothly, shifts nice, gets about 14-16mpg.

Pics;

This is a quick timeline of what I have had done or done myself since I bought it

1st March;
    - Replace split Fuel hose behind drivers front wheel
    15th March;
    - Complete Service
    - Replace rear control arm bushings to eliminate squeeking/creaking
    15th April;
    - Replace Coil with New Bosch Coil
    - New Spark Plugs installed
    - Correct Spark Plug leads installed
    - New rubber hood buffers
    - Replace Mirror Glass and Trim
    21st May;
    - Idle and Mixture Adjusted
    - Pertronix Electronic ignition installed
    1st June;
    - New rear axle mount bushing installed
    - Idle and Fuel Mixture Adjusted
    15th June;
    - New MB Rotors installed
    - New MB Pads installed
    - New e-brake shoes installed
    - New front wheel bearings installed
    30th June;
    - Replace all fuel hoses with new MB hoses
    - Installed MB hood pad insulation
    5th July;
    - Remove and clean visors
    - Clean Front seats
    - Replace Rear Dome light

Amazing how much those visors needed a clean... Used some household spray cleaner and finished with a damp cloth and thorough dry.

Just bought the new dome lamp on ebay

Before

After

I have purchased most of the parts from Classic Center (The Mercedes Dealer in Irvine for Classic Benz's) so all the parts are Genuine MB.

I looked into aftermarket parts but found for a little bit extra I could get Genuine. All the fuel hoses, brake rotors, disc's, pads, e-brake shoe kit, hood insulation, horn ring, side reflector are all genuine MB parts.

Let's just say the fuel hoses can be $$.

This little sucker cost $111

And this is the new Satin finish horn ring that I need to install on the steering wheel. Current one is chipped

Two random photo's

Then in July....

13th July;
    - Replace Fan Clutch

Was a tight space to do this job. If you had really big hands it would be interesting.

so it's just a matter of removing the fan clutch from the pulley by undoing 4 bolts, then sliding the spacer off the bolts while its still in the engine bay which makes it narrow enough to squeeze out past the radiator hose etc......then once out separating the fan and fan clutch and putting it all back together with the new fan clutch, then re-inserting and screwing back onto pulley

** I Made sure to carry over the small metal tube from old fan clutch to new fan clutch to ensure the fitment was the same. Used the spacer to grab a hold of it and 'wiggle' it out luckily.

all back together

random shot from LA this weekend
    [/QUOTE]

17th July;
    - Detail inside and outside car

Meguires Clay Bar - This gets rid of bonded contaminents and creates a nice smooth surface ready for next steps
    Polish - Not sure of brand, got it from my car detailer roommate. PRO maybe? Went on and off nicely
    Wax - Same as above

Paint came up nicely - its had a respray in its life and they did a pretty nice job.

Trying to work out the best way to bring up the anodized aluminum around the windows, there is a little bit of hazing, apparently is best to keep chemicals etc away from this.

Polished up all the chrome, its all in good shape - just used the same polish as the body worked well.

Touched up random stone chips on front with MB touchup paint in 172 G Anthracite - $20 from MB Classic Center

Bit of Black treatment for the bumpers etc

Finished cleaning the seats and door cards inside also, amazing how much brighter they become with a good clean.

29th July;
    - Rear Wheel Bearing and Shocks

So I was getting a rythmic knocking noise from the rear after driving for a while. checked out it wasnt center bearing carrier, flex disc, diff mount bushing.

Turns out it was the left rear wheel bearing, had the local german mechanic swap it out, apparently the old one was trashed.

got new diff oil in at the same time and new bilstein shocks mounted in the rear. not sure what the old shocks were but certainly weren't bilstein.

Car feels a lot tighter in the rear and so far the noise is no longer there. glad.

These are the Bilstein shocks

21st July;
    - Power Windows

Both front windows go up and down from drivers door control. Passenger door switch didnt work though. Fiddled with lock out switch and passenger door switch and got it to work. Bit of a fluke I think.

Both rears weren't working but I ended up replacing all the fuses too and I now have both front windows and rear drivers side working. Just the rear passenger side to get sorted

See pics below from inside the doors

All wires seem to be good

So the next things on my to do list are;

- Install new genuine MB exhaust (someone installed an aftermarket one in the past and its crap)
    - Replace 2 pieces of chrome trim on drivers side
    - Re-wire antenna so it raises/lowers automatically like it should
    - Add missing trunk light bulb
    - Clean trunk properly its kinda dusty in there
    - Fix washer fluid pump - seems it has been disconnect in the past. I have the parts, just need 1 more piece and then I can fix it
    - Have gear selector fixed - common problem - it's cable driven and the cable snaps after time.

Some more shots

I found the exhaust fitted to the car is an aftermarket set-up. It started to sound a bit strange and when i rode with the mechanic he agreed and thought it was probably the center muffler.

I inspected further and the badly repaired rear manifold seemed to have cracked again

AND the front manifold was not even bolted to the exhaust @ the flange!! I don't know who installed this exhaust but they sucked. Talk about an exhaust leak.

I ordered a whole new exhaust from the classic center and sourced a replacement rear manifold from Sun Valley dismantlers

Car is down at the mechanics now getting sorted out

Looking forward to hearing the car the way it is supposed to sound.

Exhaust fitted to the car currently

Badly repaired rear manifold which I think has a recent crack in it

Front manifold NOT bolted to exhaust!

New Exhaust from Classic center

New Mounting bits and manifold gasket

Finally on

[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by D&W; 09-22-2011, 11:03 PM.

awesome thread.
    1999 Slammed W202 - RIP
    1962 Ford Ranchero - Olivia (Current Project)

if i wanted to be unoriginal, i'd own a BMW.

Comment

Jesus christ that is sexy.
      flickrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Comment

Jaw dropped

Comment

Wow. Great stuff.

Comment

there is one of these for sale 20 mins away from for 1800 bucks. this may just be the inspiration i need to grab it up.
            tumblr
            myata

Comment

impressive work. is that Clark's Automotive in Solana Beach in a few of the pics? My parents live up the street from there
              2011 Outback 2.5i 6MT #subarubaru - daily/off-pavement adventure vehicle
              2001 BMW 325i Wagon 6MT #daswagoon - wife's #becauseracewagon
              1996 Suburban 2500 TD #superbbourbon - tow bitch/people hauler

Comment

Cooler than a polar bears bollocks. I like what you're doing with it.

Comment

I can't tell you how envious I am. Slight drop and leave it at that. Gorgeous automobile!

Comment

Originally posted by smoky0937 View Post
                    there is one of these for sale 20 mins away from for 1800 bucks. this may just be the inspiration i need to grab it up.
                    they are great to own. they can be expensive but not outrageous. there is a saying 'there is nothing more expensive than a cheap mercedes'

its great to buy the best you can afford to start with. but if you buy a slight beater that runs good and you don't want to 'restore' it and just drop it and roll like that hellz yes!!

Comment

Originally posted by frink84 View Post
                      impressive work. is that Clark's Automotive in Solana Beach in a few of the pics? My parents live up the street from there
                      Yea, not sure of the exact name but yes its in solana beach on the 101. guy there is amazing with these w108 benz' His name is Phil.

Comment

So much win it's a little overwhelming.

Comment

I know its not the popular deciscion on here but i would not slame it...i love the stock hubcaps the car is beautiful/classic/and sophisticated all at the same time
                          I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

Comment

Originally posted by magoo_lc1 View Post
                            I know its not the popular deciscion on here but i would not slame it...i love the stock hubcaps the car is beautiful/classic/and sophisticated all at the same time
                            I love the idea of adjustable suspension for this reason exactly. you can ride it how you want to any time

Comment

top notch work!!!! wow man, love the parts replacement choices so far.
                              11 CTS-V
                              03 Lightnng SOLD
                              2006 stage3 WRX SOLD
                              91 MR2 Turbo SOLD

Comment

Working...
                              X