New barrels...now what? 18" build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New barrels...now what? 18" build

So I picked up these barrels for pretty cheap.

They are kinesis 18x5.5 40 hole barrels.

I wanted to know if I could use work wheel faces and vrwheel replacment lips on them. Originally I was hoping to get 17inch faces and step lips but I didn't know I needed the barrels to be step barrels also the 17 inch faces are only 36 holes so I don't think it wil work.

What options do I have for these barrels? Suggestions?
    Last edited by allansummers; 10-22-2015, 01:23 PM.

What options do I have for these barrels? Suggestions?
    You cannot use them.

OZ, MSW, ABT, Carlsson, etc 10 point bolt tools info

Comment

Originally posted by zoo View Post
      You cannot use them.
      thanks for the reply.

So I'm basically limited to kinesis, hre, 40 hole faces? Also I guess I would have to have lips custom made.

Comment

SSR and a few other Japanese wheels use the same bore halves as HRE. So you are not very limited. Measure the inner bore and any face of that same bore will fit.

Comment

So it measures 15.5 inches wide. I need to make sure the faces I buy are 15.5 wide and have 40 holes? Can 20 holes work?

Comment

****Edit: 15.5 not a standard inner bore. Re-measure. Should be at 14.9 inches on a 18" stepped barrel or lip.

f the bore of the mounting flange of the face is 14.9" and the distance from bolt hole to opposite hole is 15.58" - you are ok.
            20 and 40 hole will work. With the 20 hole faces - it would be a good idea if the unused/open holes of the lips were covered completely by the face. So no sandwich or rear mounted.
            Last edited by zoo; 10-25-2015, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zoo View Post
              ****Edit: 15.5 not a standard inner bore. Re-measure. Should be at 14.9 inches on a 18" stepped barrel or lip.

f the bore of the mounting flange of the face is 14.9" and the distance from bolt hole to opposite hole is 15.58" - you are ok.
              20 and 40 hole will work. With the 20 hole faces - it would be a good idea if the unused/open holes of the lips were covered completely by the face. So no sandwich or rear mounted.

Am I measuring it wrong?

Comment

You are measuring bolt to bolt, correctly. But the bore is also important, and also needs to match.

Comment

So I could use these then since I will have to get a reverse lip.

Just a matter or finding faces.

Comment

No, what you have is a stepped barrel.
                    It looks like it would measure 14.9 at the bore.

Do not buy reverse lips, it wont work with your barrels.
                    Im running thin on patience here.

Comment

I wasn't aware it was a step barrel.

Here is the auction link.

My original plan was to buy some 17" work faces on ebay and make a step lip. After reading all this I see it's no longer possible.

I honestly don't know how to tell the difference between a step barrel and regular barrel. Btw, sorry for all the questions just new to this. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Comment

It is a step 18" barrel. Which means it would use the same faces as reverse 17" wheels. So you'd need step lips and and a set of faces.

Reverse wheels(18):

Stepped, same diameter faces in 19 wheels:

Comment

Zoo, thanks for clearing that up. I know how to tell the lips but had no idea I was buying step barrels. You definitely saved me some $$$ cause I was going to buy 18 inch faces. Thanks again bro!

Now just gotta keep an eye out on 17inch 40/20 hole faces.

Comment

Glad I could help.

Comment

Working...
                            X