BBS RS-GT Refurb Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBS RS-GT Refurb Project

What's up guys - Looking for advice/tech/help for a project I have taken on.

I had been bugging a guy for about a year for these wheels when I saw them on our classifieds section at a Gen Coupe forum.

PS> Sorry for the iPhone pics, I have some in D90 flavor, but I haven't had time to upload since I've been working on the wheels...

19x8.5 +35 -- 19x10 +40
    Not ideal offsets for the GC but workable with a little spacer action. I want to run a 245/35 and 275/35 so I won't be shooting for any crazy offsets or anything - just a great fitting quality wheel. The PO had them powder coated gold/black (What the????) so I get to strip them, blast them, and have them painted and polished.

On to process pics, I'll do my best to include as much "tech" as I can - this is my first rebuild, so bear with me...

Stripper-X (HomeDepot) and a 30gal galvanized wash tub: Spray on, let sit, wipe off. Repeat, like 8 times... Scrape the gunk (melted powder coat + stripper) off and repeat.

Eventually you'll get through the coating and down to the actual aluminum and you can start rough sanding. I used a medium grit sanding block.

Follow the medium grit with a fine... keeping the same direction/pressure to get an even, smooth surface. This step is fairly important as the smoother the surface here, the better your polished lip will look... Here I mounted a face to test fit on the car...

Love the look, not the color. Faces are going to be chem stripped and soda blasted.

The bolts are titanium, and had been painted also (Facepaaaalllmmmmm)
    Stripped, cleaned, and then "rough" polished...

The PFS Centering rings had been powder coated INTO the rear of the face... TOTAL pain to get them out. I'll have these machined from a 66mm to a 67mm in order to fit the Genesis.

A few more random pics to get everything rolling -

Good work so far! What color faces are you going with?
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/imag...es/cruisin.gif

Comment

I'm still not 100% decided on any particular color.

My last set up was a metallic blue and I kinda want to tone it down this go 'round.

Most likely will be a gunmetal metallic or hyper black...

Comment

Some progress. Got 3 of the lips sanded down to a smooth 1000 grit finish... Actually able to see a reflection now!

And a few more for the webpage that I shoot for - www.savethewheels.org...

My last $20 until next pay day... The wheel bug is sucking the life out of my wallet!

Comment

Love love love save the wheels
          Instagram @l0w1if3

Comment

OOO this is the wheel design STR stole!

W I L D M A N 'S R O D S H O P

R.I.P P.WALKER 2013/11/30

Comment

CHPhoto-20 by chrishallmark, on Flickr

CHPhoto-1-5 by chrishallmark, on Flickr

Comment

Came out great!