Need help finding a 205/45-17 tire that performs well with slight stretch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help finding a 205/45-17 tire that performs well with slight stretch

First off I'm new to wheel fitment and stretching. I want to put a 205/45-17 on a 17 x 8" rim. I know the 205/45-17 manufacture recommendation is a 7.5" max rim width. Some tire shops and the Tire Rack make a big deal out of doing this saying it is dangerous.

How big a deal is a small stretch like this, performance and safety wise?

What is a tire that will look good for my application. This is for a daily driven summer car only, city and highway use, some hard driving.

Originally posted by Lowyota View Post
    I know the 205/45-17 manufacture recommendation is a 7.5" max rim width.
    Nope. Max width is usually 8". Just went on Tire Rack and opened 5 tires in that size by different manufacturers, and the recommended rim width for all of them was 7-8". Since you're within the width range for the tire, it's not stretched.

Comment

Originally posted by KyleAnderson View Post
      Nope. Max width is usually 8". Just went on Tire Rack and opened 5 tires in that size by different manufacturers, and the recommended rim width for all of them was 7-8". Since you're within the width range for the tire, it's not stretched.
      I wanted to double check myself so I did the same thing. When on Tire Rack opened up 5 different tire manufactures for a 205/45-17 and all were 7.5" max rim width.

Please check again, are you sure you entered the correct size?

Check this link and click specs tab.

Comment

When on Tire Rack opened up 5 different tire manufactures for a 205/45-17 and all were 7.5" max rim width.

Comment

You're right, I entered 205/40, not 205/45. It does show 6.5-7.5" width range for a 45 series, and 7-8" for 40 series... makes absolutely no sense. I wouldn't hesitate to run 205/45 on an 8" wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by KyleAnderson View Post
            You're right, I entered 205/40, not 205/45. It does show 6.5-7.5" width range for a 45 series, and 7-8" for 40 series... makes absolutely no sense. I wouldn't hesitate to run 205/45 on an 8" wheel.
            Cool, I try to make sure I do the research first. I'm glad we are on the same page.

After I went on Tire Rack the second time I also check a few other sizes. I looked up the 205/40-17 and figured that might have been what you accidentally did. I was also surprised to see that the 40 series is good for a 8" wide rim, but the 45 series is not. That also made no sense to me either, considering the 45 series has 5% more side wall height to be stretched at an outward angle.

Back to my original question, can you recommend a tire that will perform and look good in the 205/45-17 size with the slight stretch? I'm looking at the BFG g-Force SPORT comp-2.

Comment

Working...
            X