Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HRE Upsizing Question

Hey guys,

Looking at buying a used set of HRE 549s. They're currently 17x8. I understand it's possible to make them wider using different lips, but is it possible to step them up to 18"? These use 40-hole lips and barrels.

I've e-mailed a few vendors that sell various wheel rebuilding parts. One vendor I spoke to said it's probably not possible because they're already using a step lip instead of a reverse lip. Another vendor said the opposite. I haven't heard back from HRE directly. Does this make sense?

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question... I've rebuilt wheels before, but have never changed the dimensions of a wheel so I'm just hoping to get some input from those who are experienced in this area.

Thanks in advance!

Corey

You can step BBS RS' from 16-18, you'd def be able to step your HRE's

Comment

Originally posted by Dane083 View Post
      You can step BBS RS' from 16-18, you'd def be able to step your HRE's
      I thought so too, but I've never done it. What's usually involved in stepping up? I've seen the 16"-18" step-up lips for RS so I'm familiar with at least that much, but what else would be needed?

I'm mostly confused about how the tire would seat if the lip is larger than the barrel. I'm assuming there's more to this that I don't know about haha.

Thanks for the input.

Comment

Originally posted by coreyfonseca View Post
        I thought so too, but I've never done it. What's usually involved in stepping up? I've seen the 16"-18" step-up lips for RS so I'm familiar with at least that much, but what else would be needed?

I'm mostly confused about how the tire would seat if the lip is larger than the barrel. I'm assuming there's more to this that I don't know about haha.

Thanks for the input.
        The lips and barrels would have to be the same size when you make them 18s. It's the same principle as widening them. Get a lip and barrel that is 18" that will mate to the face of the 17" sized wheel. Should be fairly simple, HRE uses the standard 40-hole lips/barrels.
        2010 135i | Alpine White | Coral Red | 6MT | Bagged

Build | Instagram: fifty3bags

Comment

Since you already have step lips, the parts you buy will have to be custom ordered. Definitely possible but you'll more expensive.
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/imag...es/cruisin.gif

Comment

can you measure the face diameter?
            sigpic
            1990 Nissan fairlady Z32 - long term build
            1982 euro porsche 930 turbo

"A less- assuming enthusiast probably wouldnt even think that this Z ran because of how naked the engine compartment was. The motor looks as if it just floats there, with nothing else in sight." Super Street 9/2012

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=19185

Comment

Thanks for all of the input so far guys.

Originally posted by 1badg35 View Post
              can you measure the face diameter?
              Don't have the wheels in-hand yet but I'll see if I can get some measurements.

Comment

These should be what you need, double step 17" to 18":

Comment

Originally posted by KyleAnderson View Post
                  These should be what you need, double step 17" to 18":

http://www.amcrimhalves.com/18-17-In...er-Rim-Halves/
                  Thanks for the link. Just tried contacting them, but apparently they're a wholesaler and don't sell retail. Andy@AMC suggested I contact Rotiform and WheelFlip. Rotiform stated that they no longer sell parts for wheels other than Rotiforms, and WheelFlip isn't sure if the conversion can be done. At a bit of a standstill lol.

Comment

Thanks for the link. Just tried contacting them, but apparently they're a wholesaler and don't sell retail. Andy@AMC suggested I contact Rotiform and WheelFlip. Rotiform stated that they no longer sell parts for wheels other than Rotiforms, and WheelFlip isn't sure if the conversion can be done. At a bit of a standstill lol.
                    Sounds like WheelFlip doesn't have a clue. It's just bolting together new standard size halves... there should be no question whether or not it can be done.

You can try entering a fake business name and complete the checkout process... I just tried it, and it didn't seem to be any issue. I know someone else who has ordered a small quantity from them. Worth a shot.

At least now you know double step 17 to 18 is a standard size. HRE should be able to get the parts.

ARS was (maybe still is) the supplier for HRE. They might sell direct, and if they don't, they may be able to give you a source. http://www.americanrim.com/products_01.html

Comment

Sounds like WheelFlip doesn't have a clue. It's just bolting together new standard size halves... there should be no question whether or not it can be done.

You can try entering a fake business name and complete the checkout process... I just tried it, and it didn't seem to be any issue. I know someone else who has ordered a small quantity from them. Worth a shot.

At least now you know double step 17 to 18 is a standard size. HRE should be able to get the parts.

ARS was (maybe still is) the supplier for HRE. They might sell direct, and if they don't, they may be able to give you a source. http://www.americanrim.com/products_01.html
                      Kyle - thank you again for the help. I'll shoot AmericanRim an e-mail and see if they can assist, and if not, I'll just try placing the order with ARH. Appreciate the help!

Comment

ARS won't supply retail at all. They also won't do something specific like this.. Not worth your call as I deal with them all of the time and they only work above minimum order quantities
                        sigpic
                        1990 Nissan fairlady Z32 - long term build
                        1982 euro porsche 930 turbo

"A less- assuming enthusiast probably wouldnt even think that this Z ran because of how naked the engine compartment was. The motor looks as if it just floats there, with nothing else in sight." Super Street 9/2012

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=19185

Comment

Looks like I was able to get a couple of vendors to help me out and I think I'll be able to get what I need. Little surprised by the pricing though! We'll see how this goes.

Thanks for the help all!

Comment

Looks like I was able to get a couple of vendors to help me out and I think I'll be able to get what I need. Little surprised by the pricing though! We'll see how this goes.

Thanks for the help all!
                            What source(s) did you end up finding?

Comment

What source(s) did you end up finding?
                              I sent WheelFlip a few photos and they seem to have flipped their opinions Looks like they do have what I need after all. Both SpinFab and ImageWheels are also willing to help and just need a few measurements.

Guess now I just need to wait for my wallet to fill up.

Comment

Working...
                              X