No announcement yet.

project loud and low (EM2 content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if you guys dont see the cone spacer on top of the coil wedged in and bolted upwards into the shock tower, that would actually be the first point of "weight distrabution"..... Many people have done this before, i think C hutch's accord use to have a similiar setup....

Gc makes extended top hats cheap...

My friend made me a set of 4 inch ones using schedule 40 pipe... all you have to do is cut your strut mount head off, putg your desired length in and tig it all back together...

Really bad shot but the strut usually sits 3 inches under this plastic cover
    HoodRatStatus
    Instagram @looneylow

Comment

What the fuck????

Originally posted by OpelWagenGT View Post
      I think regardless of whether or not you are a "ricer" that is definitely not the correct way to raise your strut towers. Nor is that method safe. Are you even using grade 8 bolts? The force of the suspension should be distributed into the shock tower not centralised on the three small bolt locations.

Quoted for truth.

Honestly, that just looks wrong. Or have you ever seen something similiar from factory
      slamburglars.com

Comment

Can't believe I took the time to do this.

I drew up something is MS paint real quick to attemp to show you why your setup is dangerous, because apparently you don't understand.

At this point I don't think anyone is going to change your mind but we just want you to know that what you're doing is not safe so you can't complain if the system fails.

-Aron
        "Living life a quarter turn at a time"

Comment

well im going to remove 2 of the nuts so i can close my hood without the hood being spaced. and the hotchkis camber plates for the em2 chassis mount onto the top of the tower.

Comment

Lets see some more on this.

Comment

Professional > DIY

Ok I did a little reasearch because I was sceptical but that is the way those plates are suppose to be installed (the produciton ones you just showed above). There are still a few problems. The company that made those obviously has experince with making suspension parts and knows what materials to use and how thick and yada yada yada. All I am saying is that if you're going to go ahead and make something yourself I would stick to a safer route. Even though that production camber plate goes on top that is not a very common thing. Also in that photo those rusty bolts look pretty scary.

Just be carefull man.

-Aron

Comment

it just looks scary. make sure you post a photo of how low you car is when your shocks are through your bonnet.
                1996 e36 BMW M3 <3

Comment

Originally posted by E36 View Post
                  it just looks scary. make sure you post a photo of how low you car is when your shocks are through your bonnet.
                  This.

-Aron

Comment

no more H@TING let him do his stuffs
                    he's responsible
                    WWW.FERCREATIONS.WORDPRESS.COM
                    WEST COAST SOCIETY nuff said..
                    SHOWSTOPPERSUSA.COM

]

Comment

Yeah, stop giving him good advice and being concerned for his safety, hayters.

Comment

This is kind of crazy but if it's working out for you..who am I to argue! Pretty sweet idea though.

Comment

I could care less about his safety, however he is putting everyone on the road around him at risk. I mean this is not the worst thing I have seen, but you don't have to be a fucking engineer to realize this is structurally a piece of shit.

Originally posted by smokenyall View Post
                          I'm all about doing stuff yourself.... just raise the tower (weld not bolts) with some proper gauge sheet metal and it will be 100% safer.

All the pressure on those three bolts pulling on 10% of the original diameter base is asking for a serious problem.....

Comment

The pics of the top hats are from obk's car (bastard civic thtead) also I have a plate similar to the hotchkis on the bottom. The plate is 1/4 in stainless and the load rating on the bearings are 26,000lbs.

Comment

okay finally an update. first my top hats looked like this

then i added proper miss-alignment spacers

which left me with this while sitting on axles.

Also here is the proof of the tie rod ends hitting.

So then i notched for the axles and the tie rod ends.

After cutting that much off, my tie rod ends barely touch while im siting on axle.

Since i still have about 3/4in of travel left while sitting on axles i decided to remove one nut off each bolt which left me with this.

I definitely feel this is allot safer now but if the bolts holding them do decide to break, the top hat doesn't fit thru the hole on the shock tower.

Comment

And I thought my suspension was ghetto.

Comment

Working...
                                X