X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nice color change!
    When life speeds by... downshift

Comment

• thanks, forgot to post pics in here, i made a thread the other day with a bunch though

plenum is done. bolted on the bypass valve and air temp sensor to check final fitment. also made an extension for the air temp sensor so i dont need to cut the stock wires(its on bottom of the stock plenum)

heres what it looked like when i got it

and now. certainly not perfect, but a damn sight better i think

walbro fuel pump setup in stock basket, ready to go.

Comment

• so catch can stuffs today.

needed a 3/4 to an12 fitting for the rocker cover, couldve bought one, but i had a couple bulkhead fittings from the carbon aribox lying around. bit of time on the lathe and bam, one fitting. (hole in the side is threaded to secure the fitting, so theres no fatigue to the rocker cover piping/hose)

finally decided on a location for the can itself, was hoping to put it on passenger side, but its getting a bit cramped over there, so i relocated the diagnostic plug and used its bracket to bolt the catch can to. hoses will route against scuttle panel and down to rocker cover and intake. access to the drain is nice and easy, no need for an extension hose

oh and yesterday i installed the second fuel pump in the passenger side to stop starvation in corners when the tank gets low. no pics.

Comment

• so this weekend is test fit/piping mockup/fiddling with all the little things to make it all work before final test run and eventually tuning

installed lines for catch can, removed the old oil/air separator completely. when supercharger goes on, will just need to shorten the outlet hose and add a straight fitting.

mounts came in pretty damn close. i can either add some washers as spacers or just bend the bracket up.

plenty of clearance for the bypass valve(notice i changed the hose fitting to a 90deg, it was bugging me)

time to start messing with intercooler piping

one of the universal pipes to plenum, so close. easy fix

otherwise, fairly easy. second joiner is there because the pipe passing up near the power steering pump will be affixed to the engine.

outlet to cooler is nice and easy.

inlet is simple, 45deg elbow from pod to the 180deg bend i had on the charger via silicon joiner. will make a bracket to bolt this to the chassis. weld in MAF sensor fitting. probably not the ideal lcoation, but theres nowhere else, and i figure where it is on the stock airbox cant be much better

overall shot of the piping

bumper fits

need to make short pipe for the 90deg hose from bypass valve to intake. will probably be fun getting the hose on when its all done. catch can fitting will be about half way down the bend facing backwards.

had to do some clearancing of the sheet metal for the drain fitting. if i have any dramas with this, ill switch back to regular hose and fitting

my ford falcon radiator hose still just hits the pulley. once a belt is added, it will be worse. looks like ill use my short piece of alloy pipe in there afterall

and finally onto the shots everyone actually wants to see

tomorrow ill finish off the bypass valve pipe, double check fitment/position fo the others, make some brackets, then start messing around with working out belt length

Comment

• Coming together great=) Did you make those brake duct delete blanks?
            95 318ti & 96 328is

Compact Build Thread

Follow me on instagram: earlmeyeriii

Comment

• cheers, i did. theyre cut down foglight blanks zip tied in place

Comment

• They look good=) How are you liking the hard motorsport handles now that you have had them for some time? I am trying to figure out what the difference between coupe and sedan handles are to see if I can make them work for me haha
                95 318ti & 96 328is

Compact Build Thread

Comment

• still loving them. drivers side is getting a bit dark(lazy driver not washing his hands all the time ) but other than that, theyre awesome. havent failed, trip people out when they try to get out of my car!!

fairly sure the difference with sedan handles is just the screw location/length. tried emailing them about sedan ones?

Comment

• I did. I didn't get a reply haha. I figured I can just re-engineer them to work. I actually have a coupe handle coming in the mail so that I can compare it to my handles. I have a compact but we use sedan handles=)
                    95 318ti & 96 328is

Compact Build Thread

Comment

• so today i did a lot of small bits and pieces, plumbing in hoses for bypasa valve, map sensor to the ecu, etc. just one less thing to do when its time to bolt it on for good.

i sorted out the hose end for the bypass valve, i'll get this welded this week along with the cooler piping

cut up a couple old belts and bolted them together to work out new belt length. i'll take it to work and find a matching length belt in one piece

bolting it together allowed me to put it on the car and put tension on it. all the pulleys look to line up nicely

also threw on the mechanical tensioner, since the hydraulic ones seem to not like superchargers. from what i could find, this seems to be inside the margins for tensioner. i'll probably grab a couple belts either side of the length just to be sure

sorted out oil drain hose for the charger and put fittings on. gotta love left over braided hose. had to cut one of the old power steering reservoir mounts to clear the silicon hose for the plenum. gave it a buzz down after picture, so no sharp edges

these are the 2 main intercooler pipes that need welding. once welded ill retest, but using the hump hoses gives me a bit of wiggle room anyway

and the intake side of things, bypass valve, catch can fitting, and maf sensor. bottom hose will also get a mounting bracket, so the pod isnt swinging in the breeze.

and car back together with catch can plumbed in. will be interesting to see how much blow by it gets, seeing as i have the group n oil restrictor in place now

Comment

• This looks great. You're doing some fantastic work

Comment

• so i had all the piping welded this week, and leak tested it today. everything went as expected, no leaks at any of the welds or the intercooler.

only problem was the end cap not staying on the silicon hose at higher pressures, but its not flanged, and the supercharger wont be producing that much boost

so i decided to clean, deburr and paint everything!!

natures spray booth

pipes are all black now, some of them will get stone chipped, but its just paint.

intercooler painted black, only a light coat on the fins/cores, just enough to make them not look silver, using SP139 gm satin black, VHT's recommended paint for radiators

didnt bother painting the back side fins/core, itll never be seen

and yesterday i threw some wrinkle black on the intake pipes and fitted the maf sensor

oh, and the other day i fitted the impeller onto the supercharger. have been putting this off until i knew the compressor housing and everything was 100% as i wanted it so as not to risk damaging it during trial fitting

next weekend is hopefully the test fire/drive around the block. if all goes well, itll get booked in for tuning in the coming weeks.

Comment

• let start with the best bit

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

ok, so as you may have gathered, i bolted it all on and turned the key today. the day wasnt without its hiccups though. piping took some manouvering to fit, copped a few scratches. the belt i got was too long, so had the old man go on a parts run for me and grabbed a shorter belt. i'll probably get one another 5mm longer though.

the worst of it, was my pulley spacings being off by a decent amount. had to space the charger pulley and 2 idlers out

this was how the belt sat after the first run :|

after. it didnt spit the belt after a test drive, so ill call that good, but keep an eye on it.

happy with how the piping and everything has come out. could do with some more room in places but ah well.

ended up getting a 45deg elbow for the pod, kick it up a bit higher, less chance of water ingestion.

bumper fits after some fine tuning of the reo bar around the pod filter area.

tomorrow i check for leaks and such, pull it all back off and organise tuning for the next week or 2(need to arrange around getting time off work too).

but its safe to say im stoked with the outcome and cant wait to bolt it on for good!!
                            Last edited by hakhawk; 04-18-2015, 04:25 AM.

Comment

• Looks and sounds great! This thread is so under appreciated, you're a workhorse! Bet you can't wait to get out on the open road and let the charger sing.

Comment

• most definitely!! got it booked in for tuning next tuesday, you can guarantee good pics and vids will be up shortly there after :p

Comment

Working...
                                X