Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protecting polished lips

Hey,
    I would like to rebuild my Style 5's this winter, and I was wondering how you guys deal with the polished lips. I am planning to sand down the lips/beds on all the rims and then polish them by hand for a high gloss finish. Would it be better to put some clearcoat on top or some kind of clear powder coat? Is it really necessary or is the polished aluminium strong enough to deal with all the dust and debris from the brake pads? Does anyone have pictures of polished lips with applied clearcoat/powdercoat? I imagine it will loose some shine...

Regards from Germany

Oliver
    https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Powdercoated/clearcoated lips do lose some luster.
    Are these "summer" wheels? I'd just re-polish them every few months.
    You can also apply sealant after polishing to protect the shine.

OZ, MSW, ABT, Carlsson, etc 10 point bolt tools info

Comment

Originally posted by zoo View Post
      Powdercoated/clearcoated lips do lose some luster.
      Are these "summer" wheels? I'd just re-polish them every few months.
      You can also apply sealant after polishing to protect the shine.
      this

i wouldn't recommend using them in winter tho
      Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

No, the wheels will only be used in summer. So no snow or salt, hardly any rain. A lot of people told me that the dust from the brake pads is so agressive that it "eats" its way through the aluminium, leaving small speckles that are hard to remove. How often do I have to clean the wheels then, after every drive? This is how they look so far, still with the factory paint and clearcoat on. Which sealant is recommended?

Comment

I clean them once a week, no polished lips tho, but yes the brake dust is quite aggressiv...

Don't use rimcleaner with acid, it'll make the clear coat dull, if you're soak them for to long...

When i put my wheels on, i cleaned them properly once and used some hard wax,
          it holds up a few weeks.
          I'd woun't be worried about the brake dust.., stone chips if you got a few the alloy will oxidate
          unter the clear coat...

Comment

isn't the break dust a bigger problem for the clear coat then the polished surface?
            Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

Originally posted by P78 View Post
              isn't the break dust a bigger problem for the clear coat then the polished surface?
              That question is the reason for the initial post. I was told the Aluminium will oxidate quicker if the brake dust comes in contact with it. Cleaning once a week is not a problem, so: Clearcoat/powdercoat or raw polished finish?

Comment

Originally posted by kosso_olli View Post
                That question is the reason for the initial post. I was told the Aluminium will oxidate quicker if the brake dust comes in contact with it. Cleaning once a week is not a problem, so: Clearcoat/powdercoat or raw polished finish?
                A sealant like this will keep the polished wheels protected from brake dust.
                Everbrite Coatings will restore and protect wheels, boats and automotive surfaces from fading and is an aluminum wheel sealer that will keep them easy to keep clean

OZ, MSW, ABT, Carlsson, etc 10 point bolt tools info

Comment

Working...
                X