Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on XXR wheels?

I know you **** them, but for brokeasses like me, what do you think/
    Whatever path you take to get to your automotive nirvana is the right path, everyone’s path is different. If more people liked cars because they are cars—not because they are a way to get attention or to way to be better than someone else—then I think the automotive world would be a better place. -benmassey

Build Thread:

I don't what the big deal is.
    its just wheels
    Sugar Mama Build - http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=73298

Comment

What does a set of XXR's cost? Surely you can find something decent second hand for the same money? Even if they need some work, an at home refurb is pretty cheap if you put in the time and effort yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Beware View Post
        What does a set of XXR's cost? Surely you can find something decent second hand for the same money? Even if they need some work, an at home refurb is pretty cheap if you put in the time and effort yourself.
        This.

For safety and less headaches down the road, I'd go with some quality used wheels.
        Originally posted by cobrawannabe
        More lotion.

My build thread

Instagram: Franswishaaa

Comment

Originally posted by siopaolover View Post
          This.

For safety and less headaches down the road, I'd go with some quality used wheels.
          I beg to differ.

I ran 3 different sets of XXR's on my old Mazdaspeed Miata from 2010-2012 and never had a single issue with them. Even with running 12k spring rates on my coilovers, I never bent/cracked a wheel. I went on all sorts of roadtrips out of state, hit gnarly roadwork, potholes, etc. I found them to be plenty "safe".

I'm not going to sit here and say that XXR's are amazing wheels, because well, they aren't. But they're perfectly fine if you just a cheap, decent looking wheel and aren't concerned about rocking "legit" wheels. Sure, you can find some nice used wheels for about the same price as some XXR's retail for new, but if the OP is in the market for some new wheels and isn't in a position to hold off for the right set of used wheels, there's nothing wrong with scooping up a set....even if they just end up being temp wheels. Just as long as you don't try to fake the funk by running different centercaps or some dumb ish like that.
          MB Obsidian Black Metallic Crossfire SRT-6
          Instagram - @osshwa

Comment

Originally posted by OSSHWA View Post
            I beg to differ.

I ran 3 different sets of XXR's on my old Mazdaspeed Miata from 2010-2012 and never had a single issue with them. Even with running 12k spring rates on my coilovers, I never bent/cracked a wheel. I went on all sorts of roadtrips out of state, hit gnarly roadwork, potholes, etc. I found them to be plenty "safe".

I'm not going to sit here and say that XXR's are amazing wheels, because well, they aren't. But they're perfectly fine if you just a cheap, decent looking wheel and aren't concerned about rocking "legit" wheels. Sure, you can find some nice used wheels for about the same price as some XXR's retail for new, but if the OP is in the market for some new wheels and isn't in a position to hold off for the right set of used wheels, there's nothing wrong with scooping up a set....even if they just end up being temp wheels. Just as long as you don't try to fake the funk by running different centercaps or some dumb ish like that.
            What josh said ^

Over the years i have run many sets of XXRs for temp wheels between sets of BBS's and rotiforms and never once had an issue with any of them. Don't think they are going to be the quality of a forged wheel, but they will do the job for someone looking for a set of wheels to DD on.
            Follow the build on IG: @kmcguckin
            Bagged/Boosted/Widebody 350z Roadster
            Wrong.Fitment.Crew

Comment

The price and quality is on the cheap side, but there are thousands of them out there working fine. In the drift community I haven't personally seen a XXR failure. I see nothing wrong with them, just don't expect perfect quality.
              Pipsqueak the Goat
              Chix Blog

Comment

I've personally seen two different xxr wheels crack. One was a cracked spoke after a deep pothole, and the other was a cracked barrel when putting the rear wheels off the track at a drift event.

All wheels can crack and bend. The quality of reps has gone up immensly in the last few years, but it isn't close to a "real" wheel manufacturer's standards. I wouldn't get reps because they steal the designs from other wheel companies and don't even build them with the kind of quality of the original or pay licensing fees to the original company.

When you're broke don't fake the funk and fund a company that leeches off of others' creativity. Just save for some new or used "real" wheels.

𝔣𝔬𝔩𝔩𝔬𝔴 𝔪𝔢
                @𝔳𝔦𝔳𝔢_𝔪𝔢𝔪𝔬𝔯_𝔩𝔢𝔱𝔦

Comment

xxr

my brother owns 2 sets of xxr and i can't find a single flaw in either of them. i almost bought a set but came acrossed (figuratively and literally lol) a smoking deal on my oz mito 3 piece. i've powdercoated both of his wheels and once stripped bare they looked just as good as any other wheel i've done. have i heard of breaks or cracks ? yes but i've also broke a HRE and a BBS.

here's his first set, i did a 4 stage powdercoat on these, super chrome base, clear illusions clear with flake, lolli pop blue then clear illusions to finish it off. they look like blue chrome in person.
                  Attached Files

Comment

xxr

why didn't the pic load ?

Comment

Originally posted by boostedbusa View Post
                      i've powdercoated both of his wheels and once stripped bare they looked just as good as any other wheel i've done.

I hope you realize that just because the metal looks good doesn't mean the wheel is going to be high quality.

It's the properties of the metal used, imperfections such as air bubbles in the metal, manufacturing process like cast(gravity, pressure, spun+pressure), forged, or monoblock that really determine the strength and quality of the wheel.

Pic didn't load because you uploaded it here to S/W, and not a picture host like photobucket or flickr. If I click on it, it works just fine. Nice color.

𝔣𝔬𝔩𝔩𝔬𝔴 𝔪𝔢
                      @𝔳𝔦𝔳𝔢_𝔪𝔢𝔪𝔬𝔯_𝔩𝔢𝔱𝔦

Comment

go on craigslist and see how many people are trying to get rid of their xxr and not having any luck, at least where i live in PNW... the resale value is not there or very slim. look at it as an investment and not a liability for a high chance of failure, regardless of what replica-fanboys say. just my opinion...
                        Some say...

Comment

I know quite a few people who own XXR's

personally ( even If I put my dislikings of replica wheels aside) I think the quality of the wheels isn't all that great, I've seen a few of them who had oxidation underneath the clear coat after 2 weeks, I've seen coatings chip off too.

But all the "Finish" issues aside, I think they'll do for the average ricer kid who just wants a cool look, because they don't crack or bend alot.
                          Don&Vlad || SOHK
                          ---------------------------------------------------------
                          '90 Honda Civic Shuttle EE2

Comment

Working...
                          X