Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buying/selling multi piece wheels...

Hey all...
    so, those of you that have a wheel collection going, I'm wondering how best to sell 2/3 piece wheels, as far as condition is concerned.

seems to me most that buy wheels want to re finish or at least paint faces or details to their own spec.
    with that in mind you might think the best deal would be wheels taken apart and already stripped. assuming the lips are straight and true first. that gives the new owner a jump start on the re finish process, and the seller doesn't need to try and recoup some compensation for the effort of painting when the buyer is just going to strip it off anyway...

but then there is the buyer who just wants to mount and run them out of the box. so finishing the paint and assembly would be good for that type of buyer. but to make them appealing to the largest audience of buyer, one might just do a glossy black paint detail as most people can run that and not clash with the car they own.

I spose most, when they decide to sell they just sell as they are, but I'm just curious what people think about it.
    my wheel collection is getting big enough that I'm thinking of selling a set to fund and make room for another. I don't need to, and I'm not making a quasi sale post in the wrong forum...just asking.
    thanks for your opinions.

there's markets for both restored and original/unrestored wheels. not too much in the middle. depends on the set and specs more than anything

Comment

My personal experience is that it's not worth putting more time and money into them. Very rarely have I been ably to justify the added expense, and I've lost money a few times. I usually end up with more profit, less hassle, and less time to sell unfinished wheels. Seems like most buyers are tuned into the price and overlook the condition because, as you said, they're going to modify them anyway. And besides the money, my time is more valuable. I haven't worked on my own projects in months, let alone getting anything done for anyone else.

Comment

I've lost on maybe 1/2 of the bigger, more quality builds where I outsource the work so it's of a higher standard(because I believe the wheels deserve it), but made a profit out of selling unrestored, or home refurbished wheels. It comes down to the desirability of the actual wheel itself and the specs you build them to I think, as my losses have only ever been on wider, low offset builds that will fit fewer cars which obviously narrows down the market.

Comment

good enough. thanks. what I have has been taken apart which had to happen to repaint. but I had the bends fixed first so they are essentially a kit ready to paint and assemble unless one wanted special bolts

I may just sell a set of solid one piece to recoup space and some cash...

Comment

Working...
          X