Turning fake splits into real splits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turning fake splits into real splits

So is it possible? I'm getting a set of 15" Alfa Speedlines which are fake and I want to turn them into 2 pieces'. My plan would be to get the existing lip of the wheel cut off on a lathe, drill and tap the bolt holes then bolt a custom lip on the basket. I'm just wondering if anyone's done it before and if it's safe?

Why? For the same price your going to pay for the fabrication you can just get yourself a set of real faces and go from there.
    Instagram : @SHMVNY_GVNG

Comment

I like the wheels and I'm getting them for peanuts. I know people that work with lathes and such so money shouldn't be much of a problem. I'm guessing it's one of those 'try it and see what happens' situations.

Comment

a one piece face isnt built to the same specs required from a multipiece wheel... anything can be done (ive seen this actual scenario here) but its a big risk doing something like this
        *~* Yamaguchi-gumi Syndicate Member #59,005 *~*
        // Bippu-Car \\

Comment

Like this?

Comment

Yeah that's the kind of thing, those Pontiac wheels are awesome. So in theory it might be slightly easier with fake splits since 'bolt holes' already exist. As long as the mounting face for the lip is big enough I'll probably just give it a go and see what happens. I'll report back with progress

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Steel View Post
              So in theory it might be slightly easier with fake splits since 'bolt holes' already exist.
              Assuming those fake bolt holes line up with the bolt pattern of any known lips and barrels. Otherwise, you're looking at buying blank lips and barrels of the right diameter and drilling them to match the faces and hoping you wind up with enough meat left after drilling and that you get exactly concentric with your bolt circle. That's a doable feat, but I wouldn't be dying to do it.

Comment

This is such a fucking stupid thread.
                Instagram : @SHMVNY_GVNG

Comment

Sorry for wasting your precious time oh great lord of what is a reasonable thread to ask on an open forum.

I'll just have to get lips made up I think and hope they stay true when I bolt it all up
                  Last edited by Mr Steel; 01-17-2015, 04:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X