Building / refinishing two sets of RH ZW1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building / refinishing two sets of RH ZW1

I figured someone might be interested in this... I'm currently building / refinishing two sets of RH ZW1.

A wide set for my own personal car and a skinny set to sell...

RH ZW1 are two piece splits with the front lip being separate from the wheel. The inner half is always 6.75 inch wide. These wheels came usually as 5x112 intended to be run with spacers or adapters on all bolt patterns, they are centered via the spacer. There are a few more uncommon sets out there in "proper" bolt patterns for use without spacers, but the most common are the ones intended for spacers. As they are intended for spacers, they have a high native offset.

Set 1:

Started out as:
    8.5 x 17 ET53
    10 x 17 ET35

Ended up as:
    10 x 17 ET35
    11.25 x 17 ET19

I sold the old lips, which were 1.75 inch and 3.25 inch and got a better pair of 3.25 inch ones from a friend which I polished and ordered new 4.5 inch ones from iclair.de. Bolts are partially being re-used, there were 3 kinds of bolts in these wheels when I got them. Sorted through them, got 86 chrome bolts left and have ordered another 58 ones to replace the other bolts so I have a matching set.

Also sourced new stainless steel center caps.

I painted the wheels matte white but I'm not satisfied with the paint and will be repainting them as soon as I get done building a wheel spray booth.

Now for pictures...

Set 2:

These are just 8x17 ET60 with 1.25 inch lips and will stay that way. I picked these up for a good price and I'm just refinishing them to sell them on.

They had been badly painted once, without being split beforehand but otherwise were in pretty good condition, just some minor curb rash.

This time I was a bit more detailed when documenting the build...

These are pretty much all the tools I used except my drill, which is just to the right of the picture...

The wheel to be split.

Removing all the nuts.

Once they're off, I like to tap out the screws from behind with the wheel placed face down.

Bolts removed.

I set about cutting into the sealant using a knife. Cut as deep as possible.

Stop! Hammertime! Just a few good whacks with a rubber mallet until I saw a visible gap between wheel and lip.

Then I hammer in a wooden wedge to keep the halves apart.

Do this two or three times and the lip will practically jump off.

Now I had to see about stripping the lip. I think I stated this early, but I like to use Ethyl acetate. Just spray on...

Let sit for a few seconds until this happens:

Hose it off...

The rest needed a bit more of the Ethyl acetate to properly come off. Small bits can usually just be rubbed off with a towel. It was just a matter of minutes to strip the lip this way.

Next, i set about cleaning the backside of the lip a bit. I have a sanding sponge (basically a soft sponge with sandpaper on it's sides) that nicely adheres to the shape of the lip and is perfect for the job.

All clean. Had to use some gasket remover to get the rest of the sealant off.

Now is the time to see about removing curb rash. Luckily, this lip didn't have very much, just one very slight spot, so I gave it a quick hit with the 240 grit sanding disc.

Then it's finally time to start sanding.

I went 320 - 500 - 1200 - 2000. The 500 to 1200 might seem like a big step, which is why I like to sand twice with the 1200 grit, once in a horizontal direction and once in a vertical direction. Same with the 2000 grit. This is the result:

Now I fired up my drill with the polishing wheel...

And this is probably the greatest part about polishing, because you can instantly see something happen.

Once the whole lip was polished, I went over it with Surf City's Killer Chrome on a microfiber towel and looked for any spots I might have missed. I did find a few which I hit again on the buffer (after this pic).

Done! Wait. No, not at all! Because we didn't polish one area that I personally find critical on polished wheels. I am looking to sell these once they're done and I am just going to assume the new owner will want to run stretched tires. That means the rear of the outermost lip should be polished as well to add some bling where the tire stretches and pulls away from the lip.

But now... all done!

The polished lip already looks loads better than the ugly black painted lip. Of course, the center is still not very nice to look at, so that will have to be taken care of next...

Rinse and repeat.

I will be repainting them soon, as the current paint finish really is complete crap.

I will be re-using the bolts when I assemble them. I tried to refinish one of them and it came out great. Here you can see the one I refinished and the other ones with the old ugly paint on them... underneath the paint, these are chrome bolts.

These pictures are from a different set of bolts I did, but I'm using them to show the process...

Dumped them in a bucket with thinner for a few hours.

You can pretty much just rub most of the paint off.

And then, one by one, I carefully place them in my drill and polish them using Autosol on a rag.

I'm still unsure on the center color of the skinny set. I'm thinking maybe a medium grey...

To be continued.

'87 Porsche 944 S | Ex-E36 Touring (2009 - 2016) | Daily: '02 Chrysler Sebring

www.bastienbochmann.de | Tief & Breit

So, sorry for the potato like pictures, I didn't have my proper camera with me.

Anyways, I built myself a spray booth for wheels so I can get started on spraying them...

The wheel can spin freely for a minute or so on the stand, but I'm still trying to optimize it so it can spin for several minutes and also it needs something to center the wheel... but it works.

Makes for a nice even coat.

Now I'm also waiting on a entry level spraygun and some clear so I can actually apply some real clear coat.

Comment

Nice. Very well documented mate! The wheels look great
      Instagram : @SHMVNY_GVNG

Comment

The seat base lazy susan is brilliant; I'm stealing that idea.

Comment

It's actually not a seat base, just a base made out of a few pieces of steel bar welded together. The turn table on top of it is a wheel on a ball bearing. Just something cobbled together with misc stuff laying around, hah.

I actually stole the idea myself from those guys here, http://www.felgen-lackier-assistent.de/ but I'm just too stingy to buy theirs at 90€, although from a few youtube videos, their's seems to run for a longer time than mine... but I'm not done with mine yet, so...

http://www.felgen-lackier-assistent.de/fla-lackierstaender/index.php - Mit der richtigen Hilfe kann heute nahezu jeder Felgen lackieren. Besuche unseren Onli...

Comment

Thanks guys!

Today's progress...

I ordered a cheapo spray gun a few days ago along with some clear coat. Got everything in the mail yesterday and tried it out today. Did some test sprayings and once i figured out the settings that gave me a reasonably even coat, I just went at it and sprayed the wheel I painted yesterday (which dried flat like the barrel on these wheels: http://abload.de/img/rh_fin1fzjsn.jpg ).

Up to now, I've only ever used rattle can (the black infact is graffiti rattle can, which sticks really well and covers well but leaves no shine) and the gun is pretty different. Amazing how little paint I actually used!

There's a few runs in the finish because I went too close, but overall I'm pretty satisfied. Will sand out the runs and either spray another coat or try to polish the sanded areas, but first I'll let it dry for a bit...

Comment

Went to my shop today... paint had dried and oh boy I think for my first time painting with a gun, this is acceptable!

Here's a small comparison of what I started with and where I'm at now... quite a difference!

Comment

That gloss is pretty impressive! What kind of clear did you end up using?

Comment

i need to visit you and bring my lips and bolts and futura's

germany here i come
                  Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

Working...
                  X