My Road To Futura: OZ Build/Timeline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Road To Futura: OZ Build/Timeline

I have been keeping track of my build over on Vortex but I figured you guys here would appreciated it more, so this will be the abridged version. If you want to see more, look here:
    Longer, More In Depth VWVortex Thread

This is my GTI that I’ll be running them on:

REBUILD PLAN:
    - Step Up to 18" & Widen
    - Polished Lips
    - Black Barrels
    - Fill/Redrill to 5x112
    - Powdercoat Centers Audi Quartz Grey Metallic (LY7G)
    - Recondition Carbon Rings
    - New Centercap Hardware
    - Chrome RS Bolts

ORIGINAL SPECS:

17 x 8.5 et56
    17 x 9.0 et50
    5x130
    Built in 1993

PREVIOUS OWNER HISTORY:

The first owner that I can track was niels who ran them on his Golf. At this time the wheels had TechArt center caps.

He sold them to DUB_4_LIFE who rebuilt them for his MK3 in Sequoia Green. He bought original center caps for the wheels and kept the TechArt ones:

deadmik3 (Mike) bought them and ran them on his White MK5 Rabbit for about three months. He had 1" adapters on them that changed his specs to et31 in the front and et25 in the back with 205/40-17 Nitto NeoGens.

Took the tires off to start breaking them down. Found out that the silicone (window/glass silicone) was not cured and basically slung from the seam of the wheels to the inside of the tire... Also, (I'm not sure how this happened) one of the tires was filled with water.

This is the pile of cured and uncured silicone the size of a softball found on the inside of the tires.

Took them apart and then I sent them out to Spintech for fill/redrill and powdercoat.

Bolts out.

Separated.

Decided on my center color: Audi Quartz Grey Metallic (LY7G)

Photos from Spintech:

Put together a dry fit assembly so that I could get some measurements for the new lips and barrels.

They clear the front and back brakes so I won't need spacers to make them work.

After talking to some knowledgeable people, I found a setup that I think is going to work really well:

6.5" Barrels
    2.5" Lips

Just so you guys understand my math:

..6.5" Barrel
    ..0.5" Center
    +2.5" Lip.................................
    ..9.5" (Wheel Width)

..9.5" Wide
    /.2..........................................
    ..4.75" (Center of Wheel)

..2.5" Lip
    ..0.5" Center
    +0.625" Mounting Pad Thickness.
    ..3.625" (Lip to Backpad)

..4.75" (Center of Wheel)
    .-3.625" (Lip to Backpad)............
    ..1.125" (or 28.575mm)

That makes them:
    18"x9.5" et29 All Around

Rear:

Front:

Had to slightly modify the centers to receive the nipple on the centercap. These centers originally came with the TechArt caps that have one side screw to hold them in. Now that I have the carbon caps, they need to be clocked correctly for the holes to line up.

Lips and barrels came in yesterday so I did another dry fit-up:

I've always loved these, just a bummer that so many mk6s run them. Glad to see your doing something different and stepping them up a size.
    Instagram @l0w1if3

Comment

Originally posted by AnchorsAweigh View Post
      I've always loved these, just a bummer that so many mk6s run them. Glad to see your doing something different and stepping them up a size.
      Weird... I only know of like three others who run them. I also saw someone say that on the BurnAllTheMK6's page on Facebook so maybe I'm missing something...

Comment

Will probably be buying the rest of the hardware I need next week.

Comment

DSC_0032

Comment

Working...
          X